Argos May be sold soon

Rich

MLSE will put them on the map. However, Bluto has told me in the past that the Toronto FC fans won't be happy with the Argos or their fans fans moving into BMO Field.  He can fill you in better than I can if he reads this but it sounds like some of these soccer fans are asshats. . 

MLSE will put them on the map. However, Bluto has told me in the past that the Toronto FC fans won't be happy with the Argos or their fans fans moving into BMO Field.  He can fill you in better than I can if he reads this but it sounds like some of these soccer fans are asshats. . 

nooooooooooooooooo

anyone who calls a team FC and wears a scarf to a sporting event is a ****** of epic levels. 

I don't agree with that.  They put in a grass field (basically no soccer players want to play on synthetic turf as it causes more overuse injuries) and told fans that it would stay that way.  To totally flip that on it's ear and convert the national soccer stadium into a football stadium is pretty stupid.

Also stupid from a football perspective, given that the tendency of crap weather coming in off the lake led to SkyDome being built in the first place, still deep in Toronto when the fans don't live downtown.  Not a good location, just the easy way out.

I don't agree with that.  They put in a grass field (basically no soccer players want to play on synthetic turf as it causes more overuse injuries) and told fans that it would stay that way.  To totally flip that on it's ear and convert the national soccer stadium into a football stadium is pretty stupid.

Also stupid from a football perspective, given that the tendency of crap weather coming in off the lake led to SkyDome being built in the first place, still deep in Toronto when the fans don't live downtown.  Not a good location, just the easy way out.

The plan is to put on partial coverage roof and to have retractable seats etc. If (when?) TFC flops, I could easily see BMO going back to field turf.

BMO may not be the greatest option (I could think of quite a few better ones), but being owned by MLSE and moving out of the dome, should be considered positives.

Do soccer players actually complain about field turf being too hard on the bodies? Cause honestly every time I've played on field turf it's just wonderful compared to the actual grass. Now maybe it's just been shitty grass fields but as a bigger guy who can get some pain in the knees and ankles running on hard surfaces those field turf fields were never any problem. 

Do soccer players actually complain about field turf being too hard on the bodies? Cause honestly every time I've played on field turf it's just wonderful compared to the actual grass. Now maybe it's just been shitty grass fields but as a bigger guy who can get some pain in the knees and ankles running on hard surfaces those field turf fields were never any problem. 

When soccer players throw themselves to the ground in dramatic fashion with a fake injury, one would think they're more susceptible to turfburn on field turf rather than grass.

Properly maintained grass is best for any field sport.  The properly maintained part is the key, it's expensive and difficult.

Personally, I hated playing on field turf for football.  I find that when it is dry, it tends to grab your feet in, making you worry about torquing your upper body without your lower body following, snap goes the ACL.  When it was raining or snowing, the moisture would sit in the field and it was like standing on a mattress.  I hated playing on terribly maintained grass fields worse than anything though, the U of M field was the absolute worst.  Basically just a mud patch.  Nomads was pretty bad too, but usually at least had some grass between the hashes.  There are no shoes for that.

I hated playing on terribly maintained grass fields worse than anything though, the U of M field was the absolute worst.  Basically just a mud patch. 

I don't care how muddy it was, if it didn't have a manhole in the middle of the field it can't be the absolute worst.

McCown is such a jerk. He hates the CFL now. Before he was a huge booster. I read somewhere that his gigantic ego was offended he wasn't part of the 100th Grey Cup Committee when he expected to be. He also knows that if the Argos are part of MLSE that the team's profile would be raised substantially but he just had to get that insult in.  

• 4 weeks later...

http://mikelayton.ca/proposed-bmo-field-expansion

http://mikelayton.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/CommunityNotice-Mar-5-14.pdf

https://twitter.com/FadooBobcat

Bob McCown ‏@FadooBobcat 4h

Is Rogers finally ready to buy the Argonauts? Announcement tomorrow?

Bob McCown ‏@FadooBobcat 3h
MLSE (Rogers/Bell) deny announcement tomorrow re: Argos, but it will be on the agenda at board meeting this week.

I hated playing on terribly maintained grass fields worse than anything though, the U of M field was the absolute worst.  Basically just a mud patch. 

I don't care how muddy it was, if it didn't have a manhole in the middle of the field it can't be the absolute worst.

Come now- we are in a new millennium. It's called a "personhole".

Come now- we are in a new millennium. It's called a "personhole"

Something that leads to the sewer - definitely a manhole.  ;)

Properly maintained grass is best for any field sport.  The properly maintained part is the key, it's expensive and difficult.

Personally, I hated playing on field turf for football.  I find that when it is dry, it tends to grab your feet in, making you worry about torquing your upper body without your lower body following, snap goes the ACL.  When it was raining or snowing, the moisture would sit in the field and it was like standing on a mattress.  I hated playing on terribly maintained grass fields worse than anything though, the U of M field was the absolute worst.  Basically just a mud patch.  Nomads was pretty bad too, but usually at least had some grass between the hashes.  There are no shoes for that.

I have about 3 or 4 friends who've blown ACL's playing on synthetic turf - I don't know anybody whose done the same on grass despite all of them playing MANY MANY more hours on the grass fields (and these are shitty city grass fields with divots and everything)

Synthetic turf has WAY more bounce to it... I can see why they might complain.

• 2 weeks later...

This was posted up on the cfl forums and argofans.com

mvgi35.jpg

343qfwh.jpg

jrfp5h.jpg

2cghb8k.jpg

2dshamt.jpg

wmo7z6.jpg

- Open design to let grass grow

- Hybrid grass system at BMO
- EPL experience at BMO with roof 
- Adding video boards to BMO and special events like Winter Classic, MLS Cup. World Cup, Grey Cup other large events 
- From 21000 to 30000 in first phase to accommodate Argos
- Very early on design for roof 
- Bob Hunter on the floor. Argos done deal at BMO
- First phase of construction in time for Pan AM Games and Rugby
- Private sector majority of cost
Michael Przybyłowski ‏@prizby  1h
City is the one's that want MLSE to make BMO Field capable for the Argos

Michael Przybyłowski ‏@prizby  35m
Concourse and east stands should be done by May 1st, 2015; 2nd phase done by May 1st, 2016; shovels in the ground after labour day/cne

Michael Przybyłowski ‏@prizby  44m
Tim Leiweke has said on the suggestion of Mike Layton they will build a way to use public transit for season ticket holders-give a pass
Argos will be coming to BMO Field; done and dusted

BMO Field would look to go to a hybrid grass system