Free Agency - 2014...

Mr Dee

I don't want to completely derail this thread but the Als really don't scare me at any position other than receiver and maybe o-line. On top of it all, Higgins has never really seen a ton of success as a coach even with his long CFL history. He's no Marc Trestman.

Never got all the love Troy Smith has been getting either. He was alright last season but he's hardly more proven than even Drew Willy. Bowman, Billy Parker, Jerald Brown, Hebert and Cox are all in their early 30s and while Cox at the very least looks like he has a few years left, the rest of them have shown declining play in recent years and they all play key roles in the defense. It seems like a case of everyone just assuming they will be good because they are the Als. Sure, being in the East helps but Toronto and Hamilton will likely be as strong if not stronger than both BC and Saskatchewan next season.

Ted Laurent was born in Montreal and the Als haven't missed the playoffs... ever. If the money is equal, Laurent signs in Montreal. Believing otherwise is just wishful thinking.

It has been a long time since the Als didn't have a Hall of Fame QB.

They didn't have one last year and still made the playoffs.

They could have won 4 games and still made it. Unlikely to be the case this year.

Yeah, not sure why people could assume Montreal will make the playoffs. Troy Smith is no Calvillo and they aren't nearly the team they have been in the past. They'll have to fight for it.

Montreal has to beat out Ottawa and at least tie with the 4th place team in the west to get the last playoff spot.  They get 2 extra games against eastern teams instead of western teams.  They have a very good defense.  All of that gives them a pretty big advantage over Edmonton and Winnipeg IMHO.

I don't know if I'd agree with that. I certainly don't know if I'd agree that it would be a big enough difference that a roster player to-be would look at it and say "hey, this team is markedly better than this one"

They were the 3rd worst D in the league last year, they need to change their ratio and they lost their middle linebacker. It could definitely go either way.

Their D is relying on a lot of relatively old players in key spots too.  

Wasn't their D just blitz on every single down last year?

He was released a while ago.

Haven't heard squat about Gilmore so far this year. I thought he was pretty good last year, but not as dominant as I had expected. Anyone have any updates on him?

He was a FA who wasn't offered a new contract.... and it's not a coincidence no other team has offered him a contract either

Somewhat surprised here about Peach but... like Howard said there, did have 3 sacks in 6 games, Not a terrible backup to have on your roster and does bring some vet presence to what is shaping up to be a young team. The McRath to Calgary signing is interesting. Interesting that Stubler likes McRath and Etch didn't.

I thought Gilmore was a solid dlineman... Must not be an "etch" type guy..

He took a lot of bad penalties last year. I sit behind the Bombers bench at home games and recall a few time Creehan screaming at Gilmore for his penalties.

Creehan yelled at everybody

I'd hope we can do better than Greg Peach. At least Kenny Mainor is gone, although I'm surprised noone else signed him if for no other reason than he can get after the QB.

For every impact play Mainor made .. he took an equal number of stupid .. selfish .. penalties .. the guy may have a motor but lacked any kind of awareness ..

Why the Greg Peach hate?  He is a pretty good DE.  Only got into 6 games after joining the circus in Winnipeg and still recorded 3 sacks.  He is a nice guy to have around in case none of the new guys pan out.

He's a steady eddie type player.  No real flash or dazzle, just consistently above average, and waaaaay more assignment sound than some of the guys we've had coming off the edge.  If we had Hall, Vega, Willis and Hunt back here I'd buy Peach a grand slam at Denny's on the way to the airport.  For now he's a decent enough option.  If our bird-dogs did their job he will have plenty of competition for his roster spot in camp.