Free Agency - 2014...

Mr Dee

I'm almost to the point about not caring about guys like Laurent anymore. He can do whatever he wants for all I care.

I partially agree... I would consider him to be a luxury... I fully expect to start the season without signing him.... but if we could somehow pull off a deal that would be a huge bonus

I hope we offer Laurent more than Edmonton does.  We NEED another starting calibre Canuck and Laurent fits the bill better than anyone else who's still available.

Offering more money is about all we can do and from what we've seen from Walters so far I think he'll do it, but I still doubt that will be enough to get him in blue and gold.  Montreal and Edmonton have to be way more desireable to him.

I hope we offer Laurent more than Edmonton does.  We NEED another starting calibre Canuck and Laurent fits the bill better than anyone else who's still available.

Offering more money is about all we can do and from what we've seen from Walters so far I think he'll do it, but I still doubt that will be enough to get him in blue and gold.  Montreal and Edmonton have to be way more desireable to him.

I can see Montreal being more desirable because they will make the playoffs.  I don't see Edmonton as being any more desirable than Winnipeg although they are a year ahead in the rebuild process.

I can see Montreal being more desirable because they will make the playoffs.  I don't see Edmonton as being any more desirable than Winnipeg although they are a year ahead in the rebuild process.

We shall see.

We shall see.

Do you know something we don't know Mike?  You sound intriguing.  Maybe you can share something to me in PM? :)

Yeah, not sure why people could assume Montreal will make the playoffs. Troy Smith is no Calvillo and they aren't nearly the team they have been in the past. They'll have to fight for it.

Montreal has to beat out Ottawa and at least tie with the 4th place team in the west to get the last playoff spot.  They get 2 extra games against eastern teams instead of western teams.  They have a very good defense.  All of that gives them a pretty big advantage over Edmonton and Winnipeg IMHO.

Yeah, not sure why people could assume Montreal will make the playoffs. Troy Smith is no Calvillo and they aren't nearly the team they have been in the past. They'll have to fight for it.

Montreal has to beat out Ottawa and at least tie with the 4th place team in the west to get the last playoff spot.  They get 2 extra games against eastern teams instead of western teams.  They have a very good defense.  All of that gives them a pretty big advantage over Edmonton and Winnipeg IMHO.

I don't know if I'd agree with that. I certainly don't know if I'd agree that it would be a big enough difference that a roster player to-be would look at it and say "hey, this team is markedly better than this one"

They were the 3rd worst D in the league last year, they need to change their ratio and they lost their middle linebacker. It could definitely go either way.

I don't think people are giving Montreal it's due, yes Calvillo is gone, but they still have a decent team. How often have fans of other teams said "this is the year Montreal starts to falter" and it ends up not happening. Now, I'm not saying Montreal is still the Beast in the East or anything, but IMO it's not as gloomy as some suggest.

I don't know if I'd agree with that. I certainly don't know if I'd agree that it would be a big enough difference that a roster player to-be would look at it and say "hey, this team is markedly better than this one"

They were the 3rd worst D in the league last year, they need to change their ratio and they lost their middle linebacker. It could definitely go either way.

Their D is relying on a lot of relatively old players in key spots too.  

Ted Laurent was born in Montreal and the Als haven't missed the playoffs... ever. If the money is equal, Laurent signs in Montreal. Believing otherwise is just wishful thinking.

It has been a long time since the Als didn't have a Hall of Fame QB.

Ted Laurent was born in Montreal and the Als haven't missed the playoffs... ever. If the money is equal, Laurent signs in Montreal. Believing otherwise is just wishful thinking.

It has been a long time since the Als didn't have a Hall of Fame QB.

They didn't have one last year and still made the playoffs.