Free Agency - 2014...

Mr Dee

The 2 finalists for C.Butler are HAM & BC. The same 2 teams had the 10th & 11th picks in the '11 Draft...right before Butler went 12th.#oops

nooooooo_luke_skywalker.gif

Not sure why we'd need Nick Moore?  I'm actually hoping for Myddleton or Mitchell...we need OL help, not WRs. 

Mitchell couldn't crack one of the weakest olines in the CFL. We don't need a Morley clone.

I'm still trying to figure out why we're even keeping Morley 1.0

Kirk Penton ‏@PentonKirk 37s

Source just informed me the #Bombers are still in on the Nick Moore talks. #CFL

Do we really need to overpay for a WR that's ludicrously overrated ?

I'm sure Walters & Co. can easily find a similar type player for much less money.

Anyone know if the Bombers have contacted Anthony Parker ?

Bombers need to be looking at improving almost every position.  We had the least amount of talent last year and our receiving core was in the lower half of the league.  No true number 1 threat..and no, Denmark is not a number 1 threat..too inconsistent..a number 2 receiver at best.

I would welcome Nick Moore with open arms even if we overpay him.  It's Ok to overpay for receivers who are better than "good."

Bombers need to be looking at improving almost every position.  We had the least amount of talent last year and our receiving core was in the lower half of the league.  No true number 1 threat..and no, Denmark is not a number 1 threat..too inconsistent..a number 2 receiver at best.

I would welcome Nick Moore with open arms even if we overpay him.

Nick Moore isn't an elite #1 receiver unless he takes a quantum leap this off-season.  If Denmark is utilized like he was in the 2nd half of the season 2013 he's a 1200 yard receiver.  I'd say they are pretty comparable in terms of showing some good ability but being somewhat inconsistent in terms of production.  Denmark has better hands, Moore is a bigger target, both really good route runners.

I wonder if we are looking at Moore as a boundary WR to replace Matthews.  He really didn't do well at that spot in BC 2012 and finally grabbed a spot inside after they dealt Geroy.

That boundary WR spot is the one we need to fill.

Moore would be a welcome addition with his ability to stretch the field. Like his hands, and his route running as well.

That's about the only thing about him I don't like.  Moore would be the type of receiver I'd like to have on my team because he has potential to be great, but I'm not getting into a bidding war for him.  He's really inconsistent so far.

In fairness, this is the CFL. Everyone is going to drop a ball now and then, but overall I like his chances making a catch than not. We're about to (if nothing changes) acquire the third leading receiver in the CFL from last season. There are a number of teams interested and rightfully so. His speed adds another dimension to the offence. No receiver we have currently is nearly as fast as him.

I don't know if I'd say Moore is overrated.

He's a good receiver. I just don't know if you have to pay for good receivers.

I think you do need to if you don't have that #1 guy in house.  Willy needs dependable weapons.  Moore as many point out does not have that reputation yet... but if you wait for the guy's resume to fill out... you usually miss out on him during his prime.  That's why I like the idea of acquiring Moore now.

I don't know if I'd say Moore is overrated.

He's a good receiver. I just don't know if you have to pay for good receivers.

I think you do need to if you don't have that #1 guy in house.  Willy needs dependable weapons.  Moore as many point out does not have that reputation yet... but if you wait for the guy's resume to fill out... you usually miss out on him during his prime.  That's why I like the idea of acquiring Moore now.

As long as we're not paying him $200,000 on the hope of him growing into that paycheque.

Not thrilled that we are spending time on Nick Moore...  

Wasn't big on Mitchell or Jones but they would have likely been upgrades - Myddleton is really our only option now, which is fine for the very short term.

Can't believe no one has made an offer to Sorenson - that guy is a stud.

So let's say we have Moore. What do we do?

WR - Denmark

SB - Moore

SB - Watson

SB - Kohlert

WR - ???

Or do we put Denmark in, Kohlert at wideout? I don't even know what to expect. Yet another year I could see Denmark being tested in camp.

I'm a fan of having that 6'4, 6'5 guy who can get the ball in the air yet still be an effective route runner on slants at that boundary spot.  I think they might try Moore there, but he sucked at it in BC, he's a way more technical receiver than a just outmuscle a DB for a ball type guy, a good slot.

I wonder if Greg Carr is staying in football shape.

Not thrilled that we are spending time on Nick Moore...  

Wasn't big on Mitchell or Jones but they would have likely been upgrades - Myddleton is really our only option now, which is fine for the very short term.

Can't believe no one has made an offer to Sorenson - that guy is a stud.

Your fascination with the offensive line, coupled with the most random opinion ever regarding it really REALLY intrigues me.

You think a guy that couldn't crack the worst starting OL in the league was an UPGRADE in Winnipeg? And Andrew Jones?

I don't get it. I understand our OL isn't satisfactory, but this idea that you have where every lineman on any other team is an upgrade for no apparent reason baffles me.

I would welcome Nick Moore with open arms even if we overpay him.

Nick Moore isn't an elite #1 receiver unless he takes a quantum leap this off-season.  If Denmark is utilized like he was in the 2nd half of the season 2013 he's a 1200 yard receiver.  I'd say they are pretty comparable in terms of showing some good ability but being somewhat inconsistent in terms of production.  Denmark has better hands, Moore is a bigger target, both really good route runners.

I wonder if we are looking at Moore as a boundary WR to replace Matthews.  He really didn't do well at that spot in BC 2012 and finally grabbed a spot inside after they dealt Geroy.

That boundary WR spot is the one we need to fill.

Check out Moore's stats from 2012 - 2013 - he made a quantum leap in terms of production.  And that was with the starting QB out for a good portion of the season.  No reason he can't be an elite receiver, he's pretty close to it right now..and those 1100 yards put him in the top-10 anyways.  I could argue that's elite right now.

And as for Denmark, please.  Don't act like he wasn't partly responsible for his poor production for most of the season.  Not being used properly was only part of the problem.  He showed an inability to get open much of the time.  If he improves, good for him and good for the Bombers.  But I don't want to see the Bombers put all their eggs in the Denmark basket so to speak.  I also don't think the Bombers should solely rely on kids fresh out of US college to provide meaningful production.  1000 yard receivers aren't as easy to find as some here seem to think.

So let's say we have Moore. What do we do?

WR - Denmark

SB - Moore

SB - Watson

SB - Kohlert

WR - ???

Or do we put Denmark in, Kohlert at wideout? I don't even know what to expect. Yet another year I could see Denmark being tested in camp.

Denmark turned the corner last year when he was moved to slot, didn't he?