Nothing's Happening?

Fraser

but 2010 and 2012 were good enough to get to the playoffs with better quarterbacking... and once you're in the playoffs who knows what happens. Look there is a mountain of evidence that says the teams with the best quarterbacking wind up being the best teams in the league... why do you think that the Als have been contenders each and every year? It's because they have had unreal stability at the quarterback position regardless of who else is on the roster. Why do you think BC has been good for so long? Because Wally has always provided them with at very least servicable quarterbacking. There is only one real issue with this roster and it happens to be the hardest position to fill.  I stand by that and I think we'll see it play out that way this year again. If this team gets servicable quarterbacking they will be a playoff team.

We could argue this back forth and forth all day. I could point out the struggles of Ray in Edmonton only to find his form again in TO. Takes more than just a great QB to win in the CFL, takes an entire team and coaching staff and the odd lucky bounce or blown call by the officials.

We could argue this back forth and forth all day. I could point out the struggles of Ray in Edmonton only to find his form again in TO. Takes more than just a great QB to win in the CFL, takes an entire team and coaching staff and the odd lucky bounce or blown call by the officials.

You go ahead and point that out and I'll laugh at you all day. Ray was the only thing keeping a **** roster from being an embarassment. The esks won a few games early by virtue of a defense winning them games but once that stopped they tanked hard and were playing worse than hamilton or winnipeg by the end of the season but those early wins put them in the playoffs. Hell Rays last year in Edmonton they were in the west final... Your point is bad and you should feel bad.

Unfortunately, when something better than what you have comes along, as a GM you owe it to the fans to take a look, you know, due diligence, something the Bombers have had no interest in pursuing of late.

Was Bowman an issue at will back then? News to me. Look part of the reason they felt OK letting Bowman go to FA was because they had Parker on the roster last season and felt he could do the job. Now we see if they're correct.

Unfortunately, when something better than what you have comes along, as a GM you owe it to the fans to take a look, you know, due diligence, something the Bombers have had no interest in pursuing of late.

Tristan Black is no better at WIL LB than Labbe.  He's primarily a special teamer.  Black would be competing with Rene Stephan to make our roster.  I hardly see adding him as a solution to the WIL LB spot.

Was Bowman an issue at will back then? News to me. Look part of the reason they felt OK letting Bowman go to FA was because they had Parker on the roster last season and felt he could do the job. Now we see if they're correct.

Yup, another guessing game with a prospect, thanks for making my point.

Tristan Black is no better at WIL LB than Labbe.  He's primarily a special teamer.  Black would be competing with Rene Stephan to make our roster.  I hardly see adding him as a solution to the WIL LB spot.

So then don't look at him, you only have to fill 4 positions in 4 years from the available free agents.......it's not that hard, really.

2011 - We didn't need much going in, there were some guys available Eric Taylor & Terrius George on the dline and Archibald, Hudson, Ramsay on the oline, could of solidified 2 line spots.

We didn't need much in 2011?  You're saying that Mack isn't active enough in free agency but that he didn't need to be active in the year after we went 4-14 because we didn't need much?  I am not following you here.

One a year over the last 4 years:

2012 - Oliners available, Picard, Parenteau, O'Neil, could have used 1 of them, Rod Davis LB, Koch WR, there's 3 more spots

Rod Davis?  Does "solidify" mean "play for three teams in three years and not even make it to the end of training camp?"

What receiver would we have cut in 2012 to make room for Cary Koch? At best, he would have battled Denmark for third import WR.

Our two biggest OL issues at the start of 2012 were our lack of a centre and our lack of a backup RT to replace Andre Douglas.  We already had our solution at C (Sorensen) in camp.  And we solved our Taormina problem by signing a veteran CFL free agent named Shannon Boatman who has won the RT spot again this year.  I guess you might say that position is solidified.

he's not a prospect, he's a 2nd year player. Just because you haven't seen play doesn't mean the BB coaching staff hasn't. Are they never allowed to promote from within?

We didn't need much in 2011?  You're saying that Mack isn't active enough in free agency but that he didn't need to be active in the year after we went 4-14 because we didn't need much?  I am not following you here.

Rod Davis?  Does "solidify" mean "play for three teams in three years and not even make it to the end of training camp?"

What receiver would we have cut in 2012 to make room for Cary Koch? At best, he would have battled Denmark for third import WR.

Our two biggest OL issues at the start of 2012 were our lack of a centre and our lack of a backup RT to replace Andre Douglas.  We already had our solution at C (Sorensen) in camp.  And we solved our Taormina problem by signing a veteran CFL free agent named Shannon Boatman who has won the RT spot again this year.  I guess you might say that position is solidified.

They got Buck in 2010, all you have to do is pick 3 more in the next three years......

And again, I don't care how they find the replacements, the fact is they haven't been prepared for the departures that have occurred.

he's not a prospect, he's a 2nd year player. Just because you haven't seen play doesn't mean the BB coaching staff hasn't. Are they never allowed to promote from within?

Sure, but if I haven't seen him play then he is question mark in my mind, I'm not going to blindly assume he can without seeing it just because the coaches think he's ready. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't, that makes him an unknown for now.

They got Buck in 2010, all you have to do is pick 3 more in the next three years......

And again, I don't care how they find the replacements, the fact is they haven't been prepared for the departures that have occurred.

Parker was the preparation in case Bowman left, why would they keep Parker around than for a full year if he could not slot up into the starting lineup. Greaves was also groomed to go in the Labatte spot. I don't think you grab the concept of player development and the role of the practice squad.

Parker was the preparation in case Bowman left, why would they keep Parker around than for a full year if he could not slot up into the starting lineup. Greaves was also groomed to go in the Labatte spot. I don't think you grab the concept of player development and the role of the practice squad.

No this whole thing just got off track.

The OP said that nothing was happening, I agreed because this management has always chosen to scout and develop as opposed to the free agent route, which is the norm.

Other posters just jumped on it as meaning that I was dissing Mack for not signing more free agents. I only posted the free agents to show that there were options not that he should have jumped on them.

The crowd around here is very sensitive to anyone he questions the management it seems and here I thought this was the new 'wild west' forum.

Kinda disappointing actually.

Why would we need to bring in DL FAs when that has been one of our areas of strength.

Hudson was 34 in 2011 and missed most of 2010 with an injury and iirc spent all of the 2011 season on the Riders IR. How would he have solidified anything?

And why would we need to sign an import WR as a FA when that is also an area of strength.

No this whole thing just got off track.

The OP said that nothing was happening, I agreed because this management has always chosen to scout and develop as opposed to the free agent route, which is the norm.

Other posters just jumped on it as meaning that I was dissing Mack for not signing more free agents. I only posted the free agents to show that there were options not that he should have jumped on them.

The crowd around here is very sensitive to anyone he questions the management it seems and here I thought this was the new 'wild west' forum.

Kinda disappointing actually.

So...maybe you should've specified which ones you thought were viable options.

Then people don't have to assume you want Tristan Black as a starting LB, for example.

Kirk Penton @PentonKirk 5h

The #Ticats have placed LB Marcellus Bowman on the nine-game injured list.

Can someone please explain the Bowman situation again. For some reason I thought the Bombers offered Bowman more money than Hamilton, but he declined the Bombers offer and left for Hamilton. My buddy says this is not true, and it was the Bombers decision to part ways with Bowman.

I know it's been awhile, but can someone clarify!?

Kirk Penton @PentonKirk 5h

The #Ticats have placed LB Marcellus Bowman on the nine-game injured list.

Can someone please explain the Bowman situation again. For some reason I thought the Bombers offered Bowman more money than Hamilton, but he declined the Bombers offer and left for Hamilton. My buddy says this is not true, and it was the Bombers decision to part ways with Bowman.

I know it's been awhile, but can someone clarify!?

We offered him close to the minimum I think due to his injury. He decided he was worth more and got it from Hamilton.

The fact is they haven't been prepared for the departures that have occurred.

Yeah, I remember how hooped we were when we lost Fred Reid for the year.  And we're still smarting from losing Greg Carr and TJH.

The OP said that nothing was happening, I agreed

Actually I think the OP's point was the opposite of "nothing's happening."

this management has always chosen to scout and develop as opposed to the free agent route, which is the norm.

Always?  Five of our 2013 starters (Pierce, Sorensen, Boatman, C. Muamba, Palardy) were signed by Mack as veteran CFL free agents.  You just wanted four, I'll show you five.

That said, it would be interesting to look at CFL rosters as a whole and see how many veteran CFL free agents you find on each so we have a basis for comparison when judging Mack's FA participation.

I don't think that's right.  I think the crowd around here is plenty prepared to criticize Mack.  I know a lot of people here aren't happy about keeping Buck over Elliott.  And there's was a lot of heat about getting nothing in return for Hefney.

I just think that the gang here is sensitive to criticisms that don't make sense, or are untrue. 

The coaches and managers on this team are ******* paid to be able to identify when a guy who has been with the team all year and even got into some games last year is ready to take over a spot. Just because you don't see what they see doesn't mean it's a guessing game. They feel sure about this, whether they are right remains to be seen, but honestly this team has a pretty good track record at identifying players who can come in and play. so why don't we just trust that they have a clue here?

The coaches and managers on this team are ******* paid to be able to identify when a guy who has been with the team all year and even got into some games last year is ready to take over a spot. Just because you don't see what they see doesn't mean it's a guessing game. They feel sure about this, whether they are right remains to be seen, but honestly this team has a pretty good track record at identifying players who can come in and play. so why don't we just trust that they have a clue here?

Because they have had as many busts as successes, so excuse me if I don't blindly put my trust in them.

Always?  Five of our 2013 starters (Pierce, Sorensen, Boatman, C. Muamba, Palardy) were signed by Mack as veteran CFL free agents.  You just wanted four, I'll show you five.

That said, it would be interesting to look at CFL rosters as a whole and see how many veteran CFL free agents you find on each so we have a basis for comparison when judging Mack's FA participation.

I don't think that's right.  I think the crowd around here is plenty prepared to criticize Mack.  I know a lot of people here aren't happy about keeping Buck over Elliott.  And there's was a lot of heat about getting nothing in return for Hefney.

I just think that the gang here is sensitive to criticisms that don't make sense, or are untrue. 

Yes I was mocking the OP.

Pierce was already on the list so you named 3 more, good job, so don't you think there were more than just those available?

Every team has been more active than the Bombers in the past 3 years in free agency based on the CFL tracker, even the winning teams.

If that was the case, this thread would have deteriorated to this. I never suggested Mack sign more free agents, only that he preferred to scout and develop maybe to a fault.

Yeah, I remember how hooped we were when we lost Fred Reid for the year. And we're still smarting from losing Greg Carr and TJH.

Always? Five of our 2013 starters (Pierce, Sorensen, Boatman, C. Muamba, Palardy) were signed by Mack as veteran CFL free agents. You just wanted four, I'll show you five.

I don't think that's right. I think the crowd around here is plenty prepared to criticize Mack. I know a lot of people here aren't happy about keeping Buck over Elliott. And there's was a lot of heat about getting nothing in return for Hefney.

yup. doods just butt hurt that no one agrees with his asinine opinion and is now going for the "yer all shills!" defense..

shame when posters just cant break away gracefully..

It's easy to say that management should do a better job of this and that, but not citing specifics doesn't lend much weight to your argument.

I'll start you off with an opinion of my own: there was 1 specific player to reach FA I wish we could have won; his name is Dominic Picard, and I think we can thank the uncertainty surrounding Labatte for not being more aggressive in signing him. However, we have gone out and signed guys like Buck, Cauchy, Palardy, and Boatman... all FA's locking down their respective positions, some since the day they were signed (well, maybe Buck locks down the ice-tub more than he does the QB position, but never the less...)

Again I ask aloud to nobody in particular, who in 2010, 2011, and 2012 should we have gone out and signed that actually made it to FA?

Anyone think that Cauchy would of signed here if his bro wasn't playing for us.

Nobody wanted Pierce...

Boatman was a cast off....

Sorenson same as above...

Bowman signed with Hamilton because our offer was based on his health.....

I can't think of one desired free agent we have signed in years....

We missed the boat on a few game changers , but I don't think it would of really mattered.

Our poor signings have been in the coaching area...