Waiver draft transactions

Goldkobra

as per winnipegsun.com

The Bombers lost the rights to wide receiver Mike DiCroce, a 2013 fourth-round draft pick, in Friday’s annual waiver draft. DiCroce, who broke his foot in rookie camp this year, was scooped up by Calgary. The Bombers did, however, snag the rights to receiver Jordan Brescacin and offensive lineman Eric Armitage.

So an OL drafted in the 7th round last year and a receiver who was undrafted then protected or claimed by Hamilton. Not impressive.

I don't know if we have to be impressed by these moves.

Don't forget, the players we did pick up were targeted by Walters and DiCroce was left off our protected list.

There are reasons for these decisions, wouldn't you agree?

So an OL drafted in the 7th round last year and a receiver who was undrafted then protected or claimed by Hamilton. Not impressive.

What were you hoping for in a waiver draft you probably didn't know existed before today?

DING DING DING!! We have a winner!!

Exactly.  Walters even said in his presser that none of these guys are recognizable names .. rather this might be a way (the neg list draft) to potentially upgrade back end roster talent ..

I'm actually pretty pleased with the Brescacin pick up, I hope he signs here. Tall, fast receiver who led the CIS in receiving yards in 2012, and was 3rd in 2011. He was stuck behind some very good receivers in Hamilton, I think he'll have a real shot to make our team eventually.

This was posted at TEP. It's from the CFL By-Laws or something:

A member Club shall, for a period of eighteen days following the Championship Game in a season, retain exclusive rights to negotiate with or sign a player who, during that season, had been registered on its roster and was not subsequently registered on the roster of another member Club. Effective from midnight of the fifteenth day following the Championship Game until midnight of the eighteenth day a member Club may place on its negotiation list the name of such player who qualifies as a non-veteran player. Any such player not signed to a Standard Player Contract by, or named on the negotiation list of, his former Club prior to midnight of the eighteenth day shall, on the nineteenth day following the Championship Game, be made available to other member Clubs on the basis of the waiver priority. A player not selected on the nineteenth day shall be available thereafter as provided in paragraph 4 of this Section 3

I remember seeing Brescanin's E-Camp videos back in 2011(or was it 2012?) and watching him burning DB's left and right, and hoping that we would take him in the draft. He's a faster version of Etienne if I remember correctly. Hope he can come in and make an impact for us this year in camp.

Strange, I wonder if the foot injuries for DiCroce had anything to do with the Bombers losing him.

Had really high hopes for him.

I only saw two training camp sessions last season, but DiCroce was horrible in both of them.  Dropping everything even in the warmup drills.  The day after the second one they announced the foot injury.  He certainly didn't look like a guy with CFL potential hands-wise.

Strange, I wonder if the foot injuries for DiCroce had anything to do with the Bombers losing him.

Had really high hopes for him.

I only saw two training camp sessions last season, but DiCroce was horrible in both of them.  Dropping everything even in the warmup drills.  The day after the second one they announced the foot injury.  He certainly didn't look like a guy with CFL potential hands-wise.

and everyone was calling DiCroce the "steal of the draft" on the TSN panel. Oh well...