How Long Before The Club Makes A Big Move

Brandon

Clearly something is not right with this club.  I don't give a crap if Burke pre-warned everyone that we were going to get hammered by Hamilton ....   I've never seen a winning team with an attitude and with such a poor pre season performance in this league.  

The common sense alarms are ringing constantly .... we cut experienced talented players and bring in nobodies.... we keep a brittle over the hill QB despite EVERY ONE else saying it's a very bad move (from fan to sports analyst).......  We can't even score 1 single TD in pre season when other teams are supposedly playing their rookies.  The club has been anemic outside of the defense for the last 3 years and instead of adding pieces to the puzzle we cut guys like Elliott and expect rookies to come in and magically light it up.      

Despite being a Mack-fan ,  I think his time is running out very fast.   Same goes with Burke who has shown nothing in his time here as a HC aside from some questionable media quotes and lots of questionable coaching decisions.   I think it even runs even deeper with bizarre decisions such as extending Burke before he actually proved that he could coach in this league.       

While it's no foregone conclusion that this time will definitely lose out and get steamrolled each game....  I'm pretty sure this club will struggle to match how many wins they had last season.   The only hope and prayer they have is that Max Hall quickly picks up the game and becomes the next Gem of a QB.   That's a pretty long shot.    

I think if they are something poor like 1 - 7   that the club will make the panic move and trade for Glenn or sign a Jyles/McPherson.    It's not moves that I want them to make but I can't see Mack standing strong if we are just getting pummeled more then Gianna Micheals week in and week out!!     

So I'll say at the 8 game marker the team panics and makes a move.  

Anyone else think they'll do the same,  if so will they do it sooner or later or maybe after the season clean house?

They can't make a move on Burke with a new 3 year contract. To fire him would be the height of stupidity even if it is the right thing to do. But that doesn't mean Mack is safe. I think if the team is struggling then a move will be made. Just a question of when. I think the entire approach to this game was wrong right from the start as was the decision to not play Buck. The vibes Burke gave out this week saying we may get hammered. Saying Carter is going to get cut. I've never heard a head coach talk like this. I mean, My Gawd... he said we may get hammered & we did. He said Carter won't make the team & he was voted The Hardest Working Bomber & was our leading receiver tonight. So now what? Do the Bombers STILL CUT HIM??? The damage has been done.

WE LOST A GAME IN WHICH BASICALLY NONE OF OUR STARTERS PLAYED!!!! Keep that in mind before you're freaking out. The reason that the score was out of hand were the turnovers... at least one interception seemed to be the result of Goltz throwing to a spot in a zone and a receiver not being there... Goltz said the int at the endzone was a result of a receiver running one route and Goltz expecting something else... Typical rookie and preseason stuff. 

For the love of god this game is not worth getting worked up over. If Next week they get absolutely spanked like this THEN you can all freak out but don't waste your time or energy getting worked up over a preseason game where no starters were in.

WE LOST A GAME IN WHICH BASICALLY NONE OF OUR STARTERS PLAYED!!!! Keep that in mind before you're freaking out. The reason that the score was out of hand were the turnovers... at least one interception seemed to be the result of Goltz throwing to a spot in a zone and a receiver not being there... Goltz said the int at the endzone was a result of a receiver running one route and Goltz expecting something else... Typical rookie and preseason stuff. 

For the love of god this game is not worth getting worked up over. If Next week they get absolutely spanked like this THEN you can all freak out but don't waste your time or energy getting worked up over a preseason game where no starters were in.

We chose not to take any of our starters.  Burke said don't be surprised if we get spanked.  We get spanked.  We don't score.  We allow 52 points against, and no it wasn't just Hammy's starters that took it to us.  None of our QB's played well.  We threw yet another spot pass in the endzone that got picked.  Same thing that got Elliott canned.

For the love of god, open up your blue coloured eyes and take notice of what is actually happening.  WE LOST A GAME 52-NOTHING.  Say it again slowly 52-Zip. Stop making excuses for how bad we played.  There is no excuse for 52-bagel.  Stop complaining about folks who don't like losing 52-Love.  There is no need to wait for a regular season game to complain when we get spanked.

Except the dude that intercepted Goltz in the endzone said that he saw that Goltz had keyed in on that side of the field and there was only one receiver as an option so he  jumped it.  He read Goltz whether the receiver was there or not...

We got spanked last week when he played our starters while the Argos played their rookies and TCF.   

If anything this shows this team lacks depth big time and essentially if we encounter the injury bug we can expect Burke to say we will get smoked during the reg season?

in years past when we had ding dongs playing 3rd stringer in pre season games , those guys could at least get a few points on the board.   This year we scored 0 majors in 2 pre season games....  and tonight we played against last years leagues worst defense who this year is full of rookies and who are going under a full rebuild.

No way to spin this pre season to anything but a negative out look.  

The only bright spots were punters and a few receivers and that is it.   Very scary stuff!!  

Sweep the Leg posted at TEP that the last time the Bombers gave up 50 points in a pre-season game we won the Grey Cup that season.

Can you say Ken Ploen, Ernie Pitts, Bud Grant, Leo Lewis, Herb Gray, **** Thornton, Sherwyn Thorson, Ed Lotowich, Ron Latourelle, Frank Rigney, Ed Kotowich? Won Grey Cup in 1959 & 1961... Need I say more? Did you know the filter won't accept the name D i c k? Hillarious.

Can you say Ken Ploen, Ernie Pitts, Bud Grant, Leo Lewis, Herb Gray, **** Thornton, Sherwyn Thorson, Ed Lotowich, Ron Latourelle, Frank Rigney, Ed Kotowich? Won Grey Cup in 1959 & 1961... Need I say more? Did you know the filter won't accept the name D i c k? Hillarious.

Tricky Richard Thornton, then...?

Can you say Ken Ploen, Ernie Pitts, Bud Grant, Leo Lewis, Herb Gray, **** Thornton, Sherwyn Thorson, Ed Lotowich, Ron Latourelle, Frank Rigney, Ed Kotowich? Won Grey Cup in 1959 & 1961... Need I say more?

So a team with all of those great players allowed 50 points in a preseason game. Doesn't that kinda show that you can't really judge a team from the preseason.

Surely you can't compare that team with the players it had to the team last night. You can easily shrug off what happened to the Bombers in 1962 as just a bad night. With this team you can't do that as easily. This team doesn't have the experience, legacy, confidence or identity the other had. Also, Bud Grant would never have played an all rookie team. 

Yeah, I'm hoping that this will turn around during regular season, but to quote Star Wars "I've got a bad feeling about this."  And it's mostly surrounding the coaching staff, not the players.  I think we have a good bunch of players...I am just not liking the coaching staff.  I hope they prove me wrong...I really do.

Turnovers!

That was the name of the game last night. 

Dropped passes. 

A ridiculous play call on 3rd and 1.

2 pick 6's.

A kick return for a touchdown.

When your playing that sloppy, the points can add up pretty quick. I don't think we can read too much into the 2 preseason games. 

The problem now is that they have a built in excuse for the next game.  That excuse is that they have had very little playing time in the preseason and need time to shake of the rust and gel. 

The other problem is that perception wise only scoring 6 points in 2 preseason games is really bad even if it was just the preseason.  People can not see past their emotion when it looks that bad. How is that going to affect the team going forward?

In reality though, we haven't seen anything even close to the team that is going to start next week.  In the first preseason game we pulled buck after what, 3 series?

At this point, even though it's hard to do, we need to temper our emotions and wait to see what our "real" team looks like.  We play the TiCats again in week 3 and by the end of that game we will have a good idea where this franchise is at.

For most teams the final pre season game or at least most of the game is a dress rehearsal with your starting roster so the teams is ready to hit the ground running on opening day. So what were the Bombers thinking by leaving most of the vets at home? The best thing that coulkd have happen to Hefney was to be shown the door as this team is a disaster not waiting to happen, it is already happening.

would someone please explain how a qb that wont be playing getting a bad shotgun snap from a center that won't be playing going through the hands of a reciever that won't be playing actually reflects on the actual team that will be playing.

I think that pretty much says it all. Depressing to lose 52 0 for sure but let's be realistic.... that wasn't the Bombers out there last night. Probably only 8 to 10 of those guys will be on the roster and they won't be starters.

Surely you can't compare that team with the players it had to the team last night. You can easily shrug off what happened to the Bombers in 1962 as just a bad night. With this team you can't do that as easily. This team doesn't have the experience, legacy, confidence or identity the other had. Also, Bud Grant would never have played an all rookie team. 

actually Iso, that's exactly what Bud Grant did in 1962 when they lost 53-0.  Exactly.

If you want to panic you could think of it this way.  We were the worst team in the league last year and none of our presumptive starters got beat out in training camp.  That includes rotation or backup guys who inherited their jobs from better players who left.  I guess you could say Hefney but let's be honest about what else is going on there. 

And the strength of this regime is supposed to be finding import talent.  Did even one import rookie stand out in TC or the exhibition games this year?  I mean some guys did ok (Markett) but there were no "this guy is obviously going to play a long time in this league" finds this year. 

Wirte off last night if you want.  I certainly undertsand the context of that score.  But remember this, those guys were the best Joe Mack could do to try improve this team. 

Caveat to the above: I realize finally cuts haven't happened.  Maybe Jovon gets axed for Markett or something like that.

Sigh. You can take the people out of OB.com, but you can't take the OB.com outta some people.  I'll wait till next week and see what happens. If all of our starters, playing together, get pumped, then I'll start getting worried.