RDS Reports Possible Major Changes To Als Coaching Staff

Noeller

Earth to Popp...that's what happens when you don't have AC behind centre.  You're just as much to blame by ignoring AC's eventual retirement or long term injury. 

Well, they fluked into Troy Smith so they look to be in good hands now. Popp & the Als have horseshoes coming out their ying yangs about Smith.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/football/montreal-alouettes/Alouettes+contact+Paul+LaPolice/9216358/story.html

Lapo could be a good hire in MTL, but I suppose Lapo's waiting to hear what the Redblacks are going to do first.

One thing that I did find interesting, is that it seems as though Popp really wants Thorpe to eventually take over as HC in Montreal. I wonder if this has more to do with Popp's NFL aspirations or that he just doesn't like coaching.

How is Troy Smith a fluke? Popp saw something he believed in when he put him on their neg list 7 odd years ago. I am not sure that qualifies as a fluke.

The fact that he's even in the CFL is a fluke, not so much his cannon arm.  If he learns how to play QB he'll be great, but that's been said about him on both sides of the border.

Popp and Trestman had Russell Wilson on the neg list.  That would have been a fluke too.

Speaking of big name quarterbacks on negotiation lists ...

just in case anyone is curious

Johnny Football is on Hamilton's negotiation list, Jameis Winston is Winnipeg property and Brett Hogan is Edmonton property.

Do you know how many QBs are on our current neglist? and can you disclose the names?

How is Troy Smith a fluke? Popp saw something he believed in when he put him on their neg list 7 odd years ago. I am not sure that qualifies as a fluke.

Fluke in the sense that Popp & Trestman before him had no plan to develop a qb to take over for AC.Trestman played AC 95% of the time keeping him in no matter if the team was up or down by big points late in the game. Sure they found Smith but Popp got lucky. To me, there was no succession plan in place by Popp.

At least we now have a GM that knows how to draft CIS players.

yea cuz that henoc guy and greaves have just been such busts..

Sure SPuDs we have such great Canadian content. That's why we were 4-14. Have you paid any attention to what both Miller & Walters have said about our Canadian talent? It's not good.

:lol:

When the ratio goes down to 2 NI's we'll be golden.

sigh.  such quick, comedic wit.   Watson, Volney, Woodson, Dunn, Swiston are all still either here or on CFL rosters are they not?  2 crappy injuries to guys plus Aprile going back to school tells me the drafting isn't nearly as piss poor as your attempting to make it out to be..

but I mean continue to slag an ex-gm on something that he wasn't really all that pathetic at, by all means... especially when said GM relied on current GMs input in said draft choices...

the reason our canadian content is so piss poor is due to previous regimes mortgaging the future for a hope at winning now... even a complete idiot can see that.. 

sigh.  such quick, comedic wit.   Watson, Volney, Woodson, Dunn, Swiston are all still either here or on CFL rosters are they not?  2 crappy injuries to guys plus Aprile going back to school tells me the drafting isn't nearly as piss poor as your attempting to make it out to be..

but I mean continue to slag an ex-gm on something that he wasn't really all that pathetic at, by all means... especially when said GM relied on current GMs input in said draft choices...

the reason our canadian content is so piss poor is due to previous regimes mortgaging the future for a hope at winning now... even a complete idiot can see that.. 

Previous regimes? How long you gonna keep humming that tune??? Mack was in charge for part of 3 seasons & took part in 3 CFL drafts. He''s the reason we suck at the Canadian positions. On top of our lack of Canadian talent, he hired LaPo, fired laPo & hired Tim Burke to replace  him which was an unmitigated disaster right from the start. Really not all that pathetic??? That's unbelievable. The Mack nightmare is finally over.

Previous regimes? How long you gonna keep humming that tune??? Mack was in charge for part of 3 seasons & took part in 3 CFL drafts. He''s the reason we suck at the Canadian positions. On top of our lack of Canadian talent, he hired LaPo, fired laPo & hired Tim Burke to replace  him which was an unmitigated disaster right from the start. Really not all that pathetic???

Kelly and I think even Taman at the end left our depth in shambles..  I mean, we had shawn gallant starting at safety for christ sakes at one point.   we had no LB depth, no Dline depth behind Brown and very thin o-line depth behind the starters.. our canadian receivers were a joke plain and simple..

Since Mack was brought in, we have an actual progression plan of some sort at o-line, actual starting level LB, a plan in place to try and fix the safety spot again and some decent Dline depth in the pipeline.  I think your blind if you think the talent hasn't been steadily improving.  Its far from elite but its on the right path... a damn sight better then it was..  Now with Walters as the GM, I do fully expect it to improve via FA and probably same level of quality drafts..  Rebuilding the teams Non-Import talent base takes a long time when your unable to land any guys via FA and when you lose em due to crappy situations..  but this problem was in place BEFORE mack regardless if you believe it or not..

Previous regimes? How long you gonna keep humming that tune??? Mack was in charge for part of 3 seasons & took part in 3 CFL drafts. He''s the reason we suck at the Canadian positions. On top of our lack of Canadian talent, he hired LaPo, fired laPo & hired Tim Burke to replace  him which was an unmitigated disaster right from the start. Really not all that pathetic???

Kelly and I think even Taman at the end left our depth in shambles..  I mean, we had shawn gallant starting at safety for christ sakes at one point.   we had no LB depth, no Dline depth behind Brown and very thin o-line depth behind the starters.. our canadian receivers were a joke plain and simple..

Since Mack was brought in, we have an actual progression plan of some sort at o-line, actual starting level LB, a plan in place to try and fix the safety spot again and some decent Dline depth in the pipeline.  I think your blind if you think the talent hasn't been steadily improving.  Its far from elite but its on the right path... a damn sight better then it was..  Now with Walters as the GM, I do fully expect it to improve via FA and probably same level of quality drafts..  Rebuilding the teams Non-Import talent base takes a long time when your unable to land any guys via FA and when you lose em due to crappy situations..  but this problem was in place BEFORE mack regardless if you believe it or not..

Spuds has me convinced.  Let's hire Mack back and see how things play out over the next 3 years. We might reach 7 wins by the third year.  Hurray! 

Spuds isn't entirely wrong. Our Canadian talent isn't great but it's still a hell of a lot better than it was 4 or 5 years ago. Can anyone actually argue how it was better during the last couple years of Taman or during Kelly's year here?

I still maintain that the main reason our Canadian talent isn't elite has nothing to do with drafting, but due to our failure in free agency (both bringing in and retaining free agents). That's 100% on Mack, as are many other failures. But the draft wasn't any worse than any other teams during his 3 seasons, and in some cases better.

(I also don't think Spuds is advocating for Mack, especially since he said he expects things to improve under Walters. So cut the guy a bit of slack here!)