RDS Reports Possible Major Changes To Als Coaching Staff

Noeller

Berry did well here, I was not in favour of his firing.

I've heard his players weren't that big of his fans though here.

2 of those players were either shitty or not healthy enough to not be labeled as shitty.

Berry did well here, I was not in favour of his firing.

I've heard his players weren't that big of his fans though here.

2 of those players were either shitty or not healthy enough to not be labeled as shitty.

This is sort of true....but I would like to hear from Doug Brown on the subject...

Berry had some people management skill issues when he was here. That factored into why he was fired.

Big time.  The inmates ran the asylum when he was here, luckily he had some pretty solid inmates who could lead.  The total loss of control in 08 and downloading of the OC duties to Dinwiddie and Glenn in the second half of the season proved the guy can't handle any of the positions that require management skills.  Good coach, not a manager.  Not cut out to be a head coach or co-ordinator.  OL coach or maybe even QB coach would be a good role for him, along with advising a young head coach.  Don't want him in charge of anything.

If your HC is a "players coach" it's never a bad idea to have an assistant who's a hard ass. Good cop bad cop.

I'd be thrilled of Berry and Burke are our coordinators. Experience and success right there. Two guys who have seen it all and won. The fact they were both head coaches doesn't hurt if the HC is a rookie who needs to pick his coordinators minds from time to time.

Berry had some people management skill issues when he was here. That factored into why he was fired.

Big time. The inmates ran the asylum when he was here, luckily he had some pretty solid inmates who could lead. The total loss of control in 08 and downloading of the OC duties to Dinwiddie and Glenn in the second half of the season proved the guy can't handle any of the positions that require management skills. Good coach, not a manager. Not cut out to be a head coach or co-ordinator. OL coach or maybe even QB coach would be a good role for him, along with advising a young head coach. Don't want him in charge of anything.

I vaguely remember Glenn calling plays when he didn't want to. But who was OC. Berry wasn't OC at the time....unless I'm confused.

one player said "from Day 1, I knew that ******* was gonna be gone from here before I was"....and it's a pretty respected player, so it's not like it was a jerk who didn't like being told he was a jerk. There's no question Berry was an ******* who let things get outta hand, and forced Bauer to get rid of him. 

Probably some credibility to the idea that he'd be better suited as a position coach...

Big time. The inmates ran the asylum when he was here, luckily he had some pretty solid inmates who could lead. The total loss of control in 08 and downloading of the OC duties to Dinwiddie and Glenn in the second half of the season proved the guy can't handle any of the positions that require management skills. Good coach, not a manager. Not cut out to be a head coach or co-ordinator. OL coach or maybe even QB coach would be a good role for him, along with advising a young head coach. Don't want him in charge of anything.

I vaguely remember Glenn calling plays when he didn't want to. But who was OC. Berry wasn't OC at the time....unless I'm confused.

Kit Cartwright

If your HC is a "players coach" it's never a bad idea to have an assistant who's a hard ass. Good cop bad cop.

I'd be thrilled of Berry and Burke are our coordinators. Experience and success right there. Two guys who have seen it all and won. The fact they were both head coaches doesn't hurt if the HC is a rookie who needs to pick his coordinators minds from time to time.

There's a big difference between a hard ass and an ass who is overwhelmed.

I don't put a lot of stock into the ******* thing. The team were winners under Berry and losers under Kelly. Is rather have pissed off players who won than happy players who lost

And if guys like Edwards loved playing for him that tells me it was less that Berry was a raging prick and more likely a personality conflict.

If Berry was so great they would have kept him in Montreal!

By that logic, Ricky Ray would have never been traded.

The logic is different..we're talking about Tillman!

Logic is the same, the only difference would be the reasoning behind it.  Tillman thought he could get some assets he didn't have and get the same result without the flashy stats.

Popp wants to surround himself with his guys.  Obviously felt enough about Berry to bring him in last year as a consultant.

If Berry was so great they would have kept him in Montreal!

By that logic, Ricky Ray would have never been traded.

The logic is different..we're talking about Tillman!

Logic is the same, the only difference would be the reasoning behind it.  Tillman thought he could get some assets he didn't have and get the same result without the flashy stats.

Popp wants to surround himself with his guys.  Obviously felt enough about Berry to bring him in last year as a consultant.

If the reasoning is different then so is the logic. You really have no idea what Tillman was thinking or Popp for that matter.

Just because Berry was a better coach than any Bomber coach that came after him doesn't mean he was a good coach.  Because he certainly wasn't.  HIs out of control raging on the sideline coupled with emotion-based decision making with the challenge flag that rarely resulted in overturning of a play in the Bombers' favour as opposed to using cool rational judgement.  Grey Cup 2007 trying to challenge a challenge flag :rolleyes: Brilliant Doug, that's worse than any coaching mistake from Lapo or Burke!

Berry is the type of fiery coach who only lasts three years before the players start tuning him out.  It happened early in his third season here and it would most likely would happen here again should the team be foolish enough to hire him as head coach. 

I guess I would be OK with him as the OC although I think the Bombers could do better.  The Bomber offense was only ever above average for the first ten games or so of the 2007 season during his tenure.  Otherwise, it was consistently below average.  Yes, I know we had Kevin Glenn at the helm his entire stay but the offense had three pretty good receivers in Armstron, Stegall and Edwards and a pretty good running back in Roberts and a solid O-line.

Berry:

Winnipeg - fired -> For one bad year where a bunch of players got hurt and didn't play up to expectations

Sask - fired -> Grandpa Miller and Durant shitshow, it was a bad scene and a bad firing

Mtl - fired ->I wouldn't be shocked to see his position being given to AC...

Why the love?   No thanks in any capacity.