Khari Jones - Pros & Cons

B-F-F-C

It's been widely speculated that Khari Jones will be the next head coach of the WBB's.  Many here have provided their views on what type of head coach he'd make and if he's even ready to take on that role. 

So feel free to provide your input on what you see as to the pros and cons.

Pros

Extensive CFL playing experience (specifically at the QB position)

Appeared to be a cerebral player who understood the game better vs. one who dominated it because of physical attributes

Spent a lot of time on the sidelines which gives a player a good opportunity to learn how to coach

Endeared himself to the city while he was here

Maybe Ray would return and post again 

As an ex QB, I believe it gives him a good knowledge of both sides of the ball

Cons

Limited coaching experience

His past OC position wasn't what we would call successful

So far I haven't seen that "take charge" demonstrative attitude from him in his coaching roles. 

The perceived relationship between him and Miller

Feel free to provide your view.  

It's been widely speculated that Khari Jones will be the next head coach of the WBB's.  Many here have provided their views on what type of head coach he'd make and if he's even ready to take on that role. 

Pros

Appeared to be a cerebral player who understood the game better vs. one who dominated it because of physical attributes

Spent a lot of time on the sidelines which gives a player a good opportunity to learn how to coach

Cons

So far I haven't seen that "take charge" demonstrative attitude from him in his coaching roles. 

but it wasn't unsucessful either. I mean it was Kevin Glenn in Hamilton let's not forget. They were a decent offense if memory serves. Nothing outstanding but not terrible either. I don't think that's so bad considering, especially for his first go running an offence. 

I'm no totally against hiring a rookie head coach but there is definitely a learning curve there in terms of in game decisions. And there's no promise he ever gets a hang of it. Lapo had some screw ups in his first year as a coach, Burke obviously did and if we hire Khari we better be prepared for at least a few hiccups.

Okay...the Hamilton offence wasn't a disaster but you also have to look at what Khari got out of Kevin Glen vs. what Hufnagel and Dickenson is getting out of him today. 

I just can't get  a good handle on what type of game manager Khari would be.   If I believe correctly, Khari didn't like to call his own plays when he was a QB but I do remember that he was always given veto power to change the play if felt he needed to.  

I just wish we had the benefit of a longer resume.      

Pros

Cons

but it wasn't unsucessful either. I mean it was Kevin Glenn in Hamilton let's not forget. They were a decent offense if memory serves. Nothing outstanding but not terrible either. I don't think that's so bad considering, especially for his first go running an offence. 

It's worth noting though that Glenn's numbers were considerably better in 2010 vs. 2011 when Khari was the OC.

Okay...the Hamilton offence wasn't a disaster but you also have to look at what Khari got out of Kevin Glen vs. what Hufnagel and Dickenson is getting out of him today. 

I just can't get  a good handle on what type of game manager Khari would be.   If I believe correctly, Khari didn't like to call his own plays when he was a QB but I do remember that he was always given veto power to change the play if felt he needed to.  

I just wish we had the benefit of a longer resume.      

That's really what it comes down to, we really don't know a lot about Kharis ability as a coach. QB coaches are very much behind the scenes kind of guys and he only had that one year as an offensive coordinator. Based on what he was like as a quarterback though... there's a lot of intrigue there. Plus your point about maybe getting Ray to post again would be most welcome.

The biggest problem is a rookie coach taking on a full rebuild. He will have to have a complete experienced coaching staff to lean on for success.

We can't afford any more learning on the fly...

Also a qb would help

This is the single biggest "but" against Khari. He is bright, personable, and when he was a quarterback, he was my kind of player who had good but not great physical tools and relied on preparation and smarts to win games.  Describes Huffer and Wally to a tee.

Hootie Ray J is the ****...love that guy. 

Y'know what my biggest concern would be with Khari as HC?? My memory of him is the king of this town. He was a GREAT quarterback until we ****** up his career with a terrible OL that got him killed out there after too many hits. My biggest fear is tarnishing his legacy if he comes in here and just bombs as an HC. You know how quickly the idiots around here like to tar and feather a guy and run him outta town. It was painful enough the first time...I don't wanna go through it again.

Hootie Ray J is the ****...love that guy.

Y'know what my biggest concern would be with Khari as HC?? My memory of him is the king of this town. He was a GREAT quarterback until we ****** up his career with a terrible OL that got him killed out there after too many hits. My biggest fear is tarnishing his legacy if he comes in here and just bombs as an HC. You know how quickly the idiots around here like to tar and feather a guy and run him outta town. It was painful enough the first time...I don't wanna go through it again.

Could be like when Matty coached in Calgary

I think with a different ownership group in Calgary, Matty could have succeeded.  But he wore too many hats and was forced to play the owners son at QB.   He had no real GM and he's admitted that he didn't surround himself with the right qualified people.   Remember that Rick Flair look alike that was his ST's coach I believe. 

Khari could definitely succeed as a head coach but it his success will be tied to the coaches he surrounds himself with.   Maybe he could hire his dad as a consultant.     

Fans will remember KJ the player. And what he brought to the Bombers back then. Being a coach is a totally different thing... He'll be judged by totally different parameters. If he surrounds himself with great coaches he'll be okay. Not try to do too much & to trust his coaches... That was Matt Dunigan's downfall. No.  trust the the coaches he hired could do the job & the need to be a total control freak. Huff is a success because he trusts his coaches to coach. And all the coaches he has are individually great coaches themselves.

Another thing to remember, Hamilton's TD red zone success rate was 77% under Khari.

Remember Goltz's TD Red Zone % was #1 in the league this season prior to him being benched.....     so that point is fairly moot....

Goltz was asked to do much more as a starter & couldn't do it. And he needed his attitude adjusted. The mistake made by Burke was to not put him back in third down situations after he was sat for a couple of games to see if he had changed. Unless they felt he hadn't.