Khari Jones - Pros & Cons

B-F-F-C

Fans will remember KJ the player. And what he brought to the Bombers back then. Being a coach is a totally different thing... He'll be judged by totally different parameters. If he surrounds himself with great coaches he'll be okay. Not try to do too much & to trust his coaches... That was Matt Dunigan's downfall. No.  trust the the coaches he hired could do the job & the need to be a total control freak. Huff is a success because he trusts his coaches to coach. And all the coaches he has are individually great coaches themselves.

Apparently Dunigan had two strikes against him in Calgary- he was forced to play the owner's son at QB and he was credibly reported as not even having developed a playbook for the team. Ouch. Doesn't mean that Khari won't do better- Khari seems to be a good deal brighter than Matty.

What's the worst that can happen? We get mired in a season of constant losses, weird play decisions, dropping attendance, games over by half, and a circus show worth of Toronto city hall in the office?

Oh. Wait.

I'm tired of the firings. I'm tired of the constant change. I'm sick of this team having a different identity every. Single. Year. This year was so bad, I forgot they were even playing some weeks. They needed to clear house *this time*, I want it to be the last for a while.

I'll give a rookie coach a chance, because I just want it to be fun again... but can we at least give whoever it turns out to be at least a couple years unmolested?

4 years as a QB coach and 1 as an OC hardly equals a HC resume..........we know that Wade has great respect for Khari but, he really needs to stop and think about this.

Just for comparisons sake, Corey Chamblin didn't have a hell of a lot more coaching experience before he got the riders head job. 1 years as defensive coordinator and several as just a positional coach before that. Being a good coordinator really doesn't always translate into a head coach, there is a slightly different skill set required. I don't know if Khari has that skill set or not, but bottom line if they do hire him they better hire good people around him regardless of how good he is or isn't cause a rookie always needs a good supporting cast. 

There is just as much chance Tom Higgins or any other candidate with experience fails miserably too. Being out of the game for 5-6 years is just as conducive to not winning than being a rookie HC. I can name a laundry list people with championship pedigree that has come back and lost a lot.

There is just as much chance Tom Higgins or any other candidate with experience fails miserably too. Being out of the game for 5-6 years is just as conducive to not winning than being a rookie HC. I can name a laundry list people with championship pedigree that has come back and lost a lot.

I would not want Higgins as HC & GM. While he's done it before and is more than capable I'm sure, I think we need a GM that's focused on finding good players, arranging camps, hiring scouts, and above all bringing in a good coach. 

So Khari as HC with a seasoned GM like Higgins and a good group of coordinators (Burke, Cortez, C Dicken, etc) might be okay, though if I were Khari I would still think long and hard about this one. Its going to be a tough gig for any HC. Maybe he should bide his time and get into the Calgary family tree after DD moves up, or come to WPG as an OC. 

Dr. CFL...you really do ignore the facts in order to push you're own personal agenda. 

Miller has come out and said that the GM will be the one that chooses the new coach.  

Sure, but what if said GM is someone Miller chooses whom he has considerable influence over? 

Of course, business is always "one hand washing another" to a degree but the Bomber brain trust seems to take that to the next level. 

Again your opinion is based on your personal perception vs. reality.   

Someone mentioned this and I think it's important to keep this in mind.  Miller is ensconced in the Wpg business community and if he fucks this up and it becomes a public debacle.  It's going to hurt him more anyone else.  

This business about Miller looming over GMs and forcing his hand is speculative at best.

From what I've seen and heard, Miller has seen 1st hand what a controlling GM (Mack) can do to coaches, and he didn't like it.

Can it not be as simple as Miller wants is to prevent any GM from unduly influencing what his HCs do?

4 years as a QB coach and 1 as an OC hardly equals a HC resume..........we know that Wade has great respect for Khari but, he really needs to stop and think about this.

Just for comparisons sake, Corey Chamblin didn't have a hell of a lot more coaching experience before he got the riders head job. 1 years as defensive coordinator and several as just a positional coach before that. Being a good coordinator really doesn't always translate into a head coach, there is a slightly different skill set required. I don't know if Khari has that skill set or not, but bottom line if they do hire him they better hire good people around him regardless of how good he is or isn't cause a rookie always needs a good supporting cast. 

I tend to agree with you but, Chamblin did have 3 solid years in the Stamps organization, I tend to believe that where you get your experience is sometimes more important than just years of service.

Well if you look at the two current most successful coaches in the league.  They're both ex QB's.    Maybe there's something there?   

Do QB's historically make good coaches?  

Here's the ones I can think of:

Dunigan

Lancaster

Milanovich

Hufnagel

Jackie Parker

Trestman (a QB in college)

Any others?

Dunigan was a failure under bad circumstances and Lancaster was initially a disaster but became a Grey Cup winner in Hamilton (edit: and Edmonton).  The others all have been pretty good, though Parker didn't win any Grey Cups as a coach.

Well if you look at the two current most successful coaches in the league.  They're both ex QB's.    Maybe there's something there?   

Do QB's historically make good coaches?  

Here's the ones I can think of:

Dunigan

Lancaster

Milanovich

Hufnagel

Jackie Parker

Trestman (a QB in college)

Any others?

Dunigan was a failure under bad circumstances and Lancaster was initially a disaster but became a Grey Cup winner in Hamilton.  The others all have been pretty good, though Parker didn't win any Grey Cups as a coach.

kent austin seems to have done ok for himself. Grey Cup in Saskatchewan and hamilton seems to be doing ok this year. 

Again your opinion is based on your personal perception vs. reality.   

Someone mentioned this and I think it's important to keep this in mind.  Miller is ensconced in the Wpg business community and if he fucks this up and it becomes a public debacle.  It's going to hurt him more anyone else.  

I hear his company Pinnacle is having all kinds of profitability issues for a number of years .... nonetheless I love Wade Miller at the controls

I tend to agree with you but, Chamblin did have 3 solid years in the Stamps organization, I tend to believe that where you get your experience is sometimes more important than just years of service.

Chamblin had 3 years as a DB coach and 1 as a DC before becoming HC while Khari has 4 years as a QB coach and 1 as OC but it's different for Chamblin because he was in Calgary and Hamilton and Khari was in Hamilton and SK?

Chamblin had 3 years as a DB coach and 1 as a DC before becoming HC while Khari has 4 years as a QB coach and 1 as OC but it's different for Chamblin because he was in Calgary and Hamilton and Khari was in Hamilton and SK?

What is far more relevant is that CC went to a team with a decent roster, capable GM, and above average QB, and surrounded himself with a lot of experienced coordinators. 

KJ will be arriving to a deleted roster, no QB, no GM (certainly not one who chose him), and at this rate will have to scramble to find coordinators. 

Chamblin's been coaching for 7 season's, you left out his NFLE time, but that wasn't my point. I said where you get your experience is often more important than years of service. The Stamps have been a successful organization and Chamblin was part of it, not part of some gong show.

Chamblin's been coaching for 7 season's, you left out his NFLE time, but that wasn't my point. I said where you get your experience is often more important than years of service. The Stamps have been a successful organization and Chamblin was part of it, not part of some gong show.

he was also part of the Bombers coaching staff at one point and the hamilton one. Khari was in that same Hamilton one and is now in the riders and you can't really say they haven't been successful since he's been there. Right now you're just making up lame arguments that really don't hold much water.