Press Conference: Traffic Woes

Honestly guys, if your solution to the problem is people will get used to leaving two hours before game time then you're going to lose casual fans. 

No I don't think that's what people are saying, I think what people are saying that once people figure out something that works there will be less issues because people will be trying new things to get there and will eventually stumble on something that works for them. I mean people had 50+ years to figure out how to get to Winnipeg Stadium at a time that worked for them.... They've had one week to find out what works getting to IGF and everyone is starting from square one. 

No I don't think that's what people are saying, I think what people are saying that once people figure out something that works there will be less issues because people will be trying new things to get there and will eventually stumble on something that works for them. I mean people had 50+ years to figure out how to get to Winnipeg Stadium at a time that worked for them.... They've had one week to find out what works getting to IGF and everyone is starting from square one. 

Exactly.

Some people will find that leaving two hours before a game does it for them .. others will ride .. bus .. walk .. pitch a tent .. whatever.  At the end of the day, once people figure out what works for them .. it will start to alleviate some of the strain (traffic wise) on the area .. less people will be travelling at peak times and it should help mitigate some of what's going on.

I agree with the last 80% of your post.  It will get better and people will figure it out.  But I don't agree that people weren't saying leaving two hours early should be the solution.  Anyway, I'm sure it will be manageable at some point soon.  We need to get back to arguing about Joe Mack on here. 

Agree with Bluto. JBR's attitude to this is ridiculous. Try making a statement like that and living in a real city like TO, heck they have to wait an hour just to go to work every day. Stay home if you think you're that important. Winnipeg transit failed miserably though for this exhibition game, hopefully they are smart enough to learn, although they will have trouble regardless, without the proper infrastructure being in place.

And how many tickets do the Argos sell?  I'll be there no matter what to pay $650 a year for seats where I can't see anything, but people who don't really follow the Bombers closely and are going to maybe a couple games a year will be turned off if it is a hassle to get to the game.  The Bombers need those people to fill 33,500 seats and remain viable.

if you think having to leave an hour + early to get to a big event is unreasonable then I think you are simply out of touch with reality....If you don't live near the stadium then yeah it's going to take some time. Hell Winnipeg ain't that big a city, should be grateful that it doesn't take longer like it does in some cities.

True enough.....but that is a contributor to the problem when the need for infrastructure expansion was badly neglected. Calgary and BC are both blessed with an outstanding LRT system. Montreal and Toronto have an excellent public transit system. Hamiltonians will at least have the advantage of using their existing site, so it hopefully means little or no disruption from what their fans have dealt with.

I agree with the last 80% of your post.  It will get better and people will figure it out.  But I don't agree that people weren't saying leaving two hours early should be the solution.  Anyway, I'm sure it will be manageable at some point soon.  We need to get back to arguing about Joe Mack on here. 

Surely I can't be the only one who left 1.5 to 2 hours before a game to get to Canad Inns.  The people who now have to leave that early to get to IGF will get used to it or find another way to get to the game.

I had left on my bike right from work at 4:30, stopped by woodcock cycle on st. mary's as my bike still needs a front cargo rack. Was there for maybe 20-30 minutes. Then I went right to the stadium. I could bike right down University Cres. at around 5:30-5:40, basically no traffic yet. Bike valet was just setting up as I got there, so I had to wait maybe 10 minutes to check my bike in.

After the game, I started heading down from the upper deck with about 2 plays to go. Watched them both from the nice HD tvs in the concourse. Got to the bike valet, took 2 minutes tops to get my bike back, and headed off for a 1 hour bike ride home to NK. All in all I had no complaints.

If they fix the way the buses work it won't have to take that long.

I took the bus at 820 Taylor. (Park and Ride.)  I was there at around 5:20, (The first bus was supposed to arrive at 5:37.), and by that point there already around 200 people lined up.  That was for the first bus and the line was growing.

I had to wait for a second bus, because the first one filled up so fast.  However, once I got on the bus it took very little time to get from 820 Taylor to University Crescent.

It took 40 minutes to get from the beginning of University Crescent to the stadium.  All they need to do is designate a lane for the buses and that will cut the time from 40 minutes to about 5. If University Crescent was flowing properly, I think I could have got there at around 6. 

If they can make taking the bus more palatable, then more people will use them, which means less people will be driving in.  Less people driving in means less congestion which means getting to the stadium will be faster.

That will reduce the time it takes to the stadium considerably.  I truly think that they can hit the 60 minute threshold.

Lucky for the Winnipeg Football Club there are some simple solutions to the problem here.

Lucky for the Winnipeg Football Club there are some simple solutions to the problem here.

You hit the nail on the head. It seems most of the problems can be solved by having a dedicated lane for buses to use. It would be great if we already had rapid transit lanes to the stadium, but for the time being, they might have to block off one of the outgoing lanes on university crescent and route bus traffic down there.

You hit the nail on the head. It seems most of the problems can be solved by having a dedicated lane for buses to use. It would be great if we already had rapid transit lanes to the stadium, but for the time being, they might have to block off one of the outgoing lanes on university crescent and route bus traffic down there.

The problem on University Crescent heading south was the u-turning ill informed drivers trying to get to the stadium.  The WPS were making people from both lanes u-turn at the Markham intersection, blocking both lanes of traffic while they explained to the drivers why they couldn't drive into the university.  This was the case at 6:50 pm.

The problem on University Crescent heading south was the u-turning ill informed drivers trying to get to the stadium. The WPS were making people from both lanes u-turn at the Markham intersection, blocking both lanes of traffic while they explained to the drivers why they couldn't drive into the university. This was the case at 6:50 pm.

Then maybe have the buses come down markham and take a right onto university crescent. Car traffic goes down university crescent until markham where they are forced into the oncoming lanes in the intersection or uturn if they went in the wrong entrance.

Then maybe have the buses come down markham and take a right onto university crescent. Car traffic goes down university crescent until markham where they are forced into the oncoming lanes in the intersection or uturn if they went in the wrong entrance.

I think the problem with Markham is that it is a gravel road.  I don't know if it could take that amount of bus traffic.

They need to make the curb lane, heading towards the stadium on University Crescent, the designated bus lane.  There is a bus loop on Pembina that loops the buses into that curb lane. 

So buses would take the loop like they always do and merge into the curb lane.  Cars would also enter the same way they always do, but at the point were the buses merge onto University Crescent, they could put cones up and funnel the curb lane cars to the left lane and the left lane cars onto the outgoing lane on the other side. That would leave one outgoing lane for any residents that would want to leave.

That way the buses would never have to stop.  And they would be able to drop people off in front of the stadium without making people walk across the street.

I would also make Chancellor Matheson one way, (All lanes going in.), 60 minutes prior to the start of the game.  If Students and Profs need to get out they can use the outgoing lane on University Crescent or Kings Dr.

At the end of the game, they should make all lanes going out on Chancellor Matheson.  (They could start that at the beginning of the 4th quarter and end it when everyone is out.)

If your heading north, use the 2 right lanes and if your heading south use the 2 left lanes. 

They would need to employ some traffic cops at the mouth of Chancellor Matheson as they did in the first game.

That Bishop Grandin-Pembina-University Crescent intersection is a big problem.  If they can divert a good number of buses to a different route, that would help.

I'm just surprised that with a crowd of 33,500 only 10-12,000 would take a bus. I thought it'd be closer to 20,000.

5000 parking spots at around 4 people a car is 20,000, 10,000-12000 on the bus. Leaves a few thousand to either get their by foot, bicycle or other park and ride options.

You think 4? I think that's a bit high. I'd say 2 to 3 per car average. If things work on Thursday we'll know here. I'm in town for the Argo game. We plan on doing the Park & Ride from St. Vital Shopping Centre so I'll be interested in seeing how things work out.