Old Bomber games

On 2024-03-06 at 4:12 PM, johnzo said:

Watching games from back in the day, it's astonishing the big hits that a QB was expected to absorb ... especially a guy like Hufnagel who played from the pocket a lot.  Like, check this play out, Huffer gets obliterated after he throws a gorgeous deep pass to Tuttle. No penalty, he bounces right back up.  Those guys were tough back then.

It's so awesome to have access to these old games, you can really see how the game has changed over the years.  It seems like it was around 2004-2005 when the CFL started making rules to try to keep quarterbacks alive.

Check this clip out. They thought a direct hit to a QBs head was a perfectly clean hit.

Side note: I miss running onto the field after a Bombers win.

14 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Check this clip out. They thought a direct hit to a QBs head was a perfectly clean hit.

Side note: I miss running onto the field after a Bombers win.

I remember that game and those real disheartening years very well. Even recognize some of the yahoos in the background when Ernie is interviewing Reinbold

Posted (edited)

I know that I was at this game:

I remember how cold it was up in the upper East side stands that day, but then the sun came out and warmed us up.  Interesting to see that Terry Evanshen was the color guy.  In 1988 he was in a serious car accident and it wiped out his entire memory of his life, prior to the crash.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

Oh man, the field was so bad in some of those old playoff games.  Snow-crusted mud.

The turf at CNE stadium must have had brutally bad drainage, some of the rainy games there, skidding players would throw up sheets of water.

53 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I know that I was at this game:

I remember how cold it was up in the upper East side stands that day, but then the sun came out and warmed us up.  Interesting to see that Terry Evanshen was the color guy.  In 1988 he was in a serious car accident and it wiped out his entire memory of his life, prior to the crash.

Good for Don Wittman for calling out Winnipeg Enterprises in this debacle with the field & the failure to properly remove the snow. WEC was a total waste of taxpayers money & being on the Committee was a real perk for City Councillors. Free tickets for any of those politicians with seats in a private box for any event that went on at the Stadium or Arena.

Does anyone have clips of the playoff game in the early 90s vs the TiCats? Bomber fans were throwing snowballs at the Ticats and and I could swear a handfull of players went into the stands to confront the fans.

I'd like to see video proof of this and that it wasnt a figment of my drunken memory. 

15 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Does anyone have clips of the playoff game in the early 90s vs the TiCats? Bomber fans were throwing snowballs at the Ticats and and I could swear a handfull of players went into the stands to confront the fans.

I'd like to see video proof of this and that it wasnt a figment of my drunken memory. 

This is the game. I’m not sure if there’s clips of players going into the stands, but the enndzones were clearly pelted with snowballs by the middle of the 4th. 

3 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

This is the game. I’m not sure if there’s clips of players going into the stands, but the enndzones were clearly pelted with snowballs by the middle of the 4th. 

At 2h48min they show one TiCat way up in the stands, not sure if any others joined him. They did show 3 other players being led back towards the players bench though.

Such a dominant game by the Bombers, too bad they laid an egg in the Grey Cup. 

Edited by WinnipegGordo

3 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

At 2h48min they show one TiCat way up in the stands, not sure if any others joined him. They did show 3 other players being led back towards the players bench though.

You’re right and Scott Oake talks about it too a little after “Orville Lee was hit by a snowball, he threw one back and hit the fan in the head” 

What a wild scene. 

21 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Good for Don Wittman for calling out Winnipeg Enterprises in this debacle with the field & the failure to properly remove the snow. WEC was a total waste of taxpayers money & being on the Committee was a real perk for City Councillors. Free tickets for any of those politicians with seats in a private box for any event that went on at the Stadium or Arena.

at one point in the game Don talks to John Wells about how the day before John had done the broadcast of the national Junior football championship game (I think the Regina Rams were the victors) on CBC and I was thinking - "wow, the CBC used to broadcast games like that...what happened?"

15 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Dunigan and Collaros had/have the same problem - they never play their best in Grey Cup games....

Man did we have a great defense in 1992...

19 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Had to do a double-take at 36:44 when I saw an old familiar face on the sidelines standing beside Urban Bowman.  He must have been "handling things internally" during this game lol...

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

at one point in the game Don talks to John Wells about how the day before John had done the broadcast of the national Junior football championship game (I think the Regina Rams were the victors) on CBC and I was thinking - "wow, the CBC used to broadcast games like that...what happened?"

The CBC really cut their sports department. They had some top notch talent that were let go. I'm sure from a lack of funding from the Mulroney & Harper governments. I think even Chretien cut funding as well.

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Dunigan and Collaros had/have the same problem - they never play their best in Grey Cup games....

Man did we have a great defense in 1992...

Dunigan was a warrior in 1991 vs the Stamps when he played with a separated shoulder that was frozen.

3 hours ago, bearpants said:

LOL, that is true... ol Randy Rhino is a little before my time

Stellar defensive back. Part of Marv Levy's great 70's Montreal defensive teams. First team All American at Georgia Tech. Drafted by the NO Saints in 1975. Signed instead with Charlotte of the WFL in 1975 & played one season for the Hornets. Signed with the Als in 1976 & played for them thru the 1980 season. He then signed with the Ottawa Rough Riders in 81 before retiring. He was a CFLEastern Conference All Star in 1977, 78 & 81 as well as named to the CFL  All Canadian team as a DB the same years he was an Eastern All Star. Returned 31 kickoffs during his career & over 300 punt returns. He had 22 interceptions as well during his career. He was a real stud. One of the best players in the CFL during that era.

Alouettes%2078%20Road%20Randy%20Rhino.jp

Edited by SpeedFlex27