The 2024 Grim Reaper Thread

https://tvline.com/news/joe-flaherty-dead-sctv-freaks-and-geeks-cause-of-death-1235195392/

If I recall correctly I think he was a judge on that Second City reality series that aired on CBC for one season in 2007 before Dave Thomas criticized him off (I don't remember what happened really or what he said but Thomas ended up taking over) I remember alot more of that show than you would think I wonder if the winner ever got to be promoted to the main stage (Know what else I remember from the show eventually the contestants couldn't handle any more eliminations because they had formed such a bond so they compromised, they didn't have to leave after they were eliminated and this was close to the finale)...oh yeah and just for the hell of it Abbott and Ferguson from Air Farce auditioned.

Yeah that's kind of the only thing I saw Flaherty in, the second city reality show 

Edited by iHeart

Joe Flaherty dead at 82........ugh. One of the more underrated of that group that came up together around Toronto in the early 70s. There was a whole scene... kinda started with a production of Godspell.... Marty Short, Gene Levy, Paul Shaffer, Vic Garber.... and then of course Gilda, Candy, Flaherty and others. The seeds of SCTV and even SNL started back then. Flaherty was so so so funny... what a shame. 82 still feels too young. 

38 minutes ago, iHeart said:

https://tvline.com/news/joe-flaherty-dead-sctv-freaks-and-geeks-cause-of-death-1235195392/

If I recall correctly I think he was a judge on that Second City reality series that aired on CBC for one season in 2007 before Dave Thomas criticized him off (I don't remember what happened really or what he said) I remember alot more of that show than you would think I wonder if the winner ever got to be promoted to the main stage (Know what else I remember from the show eventually the contestants couldn't handle any more eliminations because they had formed such a bond so they compromised, they didn't have to leave after they were eliminated and this was close to the finale)...oh yeah and just for the hell of it Abbott and Ferguson from Air Farce auditioned.

Yeah that's kind of the only thing I saw Flaherty in, the second city reality show 

I think Count Floyd was one of my favorite characters that he played on the old SCTV show.

Edited by Sard
added link

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

Joe Flaherty dead at 82........ugh. One of the more underrated of that group that came up together around Toronto in the early 70s. There was a whole scene... kinda started with a production of Godspell.... Marty Short, Gene Levy, Paul Shaffer, Vic Garber.... and then of course Gilda, Candy, Flaherty and others. The seeds of SCTV and even SNL started back then. Flaherty was so so so funny... what a shame. 82 still feels too young. 

Godspell was how Lorne discovered Gilda (shame that Garber was the only one mentioned that did the film version....though granted I couldn't sit through the whole movie, no matter who was in it)

I was shocked when I found out Joe was American too....he always seemed so "Canadian" in so many ways...in this interview (from 1982) on Letterman he discusses how he ended up in Toronto and meeting this kooky gang of Canadians....

Edmonton sure takes a beating in this interview too which is hilarious.

I like how John Candy is smoking during the interview, classic 1980's.  Historical context - at this time John Candy was in a war with SCTV producers because they weren't paying the actors very much and were very cheap, and Candy was pretty bitter about it.  The character "Guy Caballero" was actually a parody of the main producer and was created out of an act of defiance by the SCTV cast.  It was actually sad to hear how a show so good and so funny and so Canadian was enduring all kinds of animosity and turmoil behind the scenes.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

On 2024-04-03 at 3:57 PM, Noeller said:

My all time favourite....

As another layer to this and something I didn't know, I just read that Eugene Levy said that Joe Flaherty played his character as slightly drunk and never told anyone. He's a just a half step behind everyone, slightly sloppy, and a bit wobbly. No one realised it until later. If you watch it you can see it!

Edited by bb.king

12 hours ago, bb.king said:

As another layer to this and something I didn't know, I just read that Eugene Levy said that Joe Flaherty played his character as slightly drunk and never told anyone. He's a just a half step behind everyone, slightly sloppy, and a bit wobbly. No one realised it until later. If you watch it you can see it!

for some reason I can't post the screenshot that was shared with me this morning, but it was a fella named Dana Gould that shared that tidbit... holy Christ did I laugh thinking about it. It's the kind of thing that comedians do to "break" other comedians. They know 99% of people won't notice it, but if other comedians do, and laugh, then it's 100% worth it...

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

for some reason I can't post the screenshot that was shared with me this morning, but it was a fella named Dana Gould that shared that tidbit... holy Christ did I laugh thinking about it. It's the kind of thing that comedians do to "break" other comedians. They know 99% of people won't notice it, but if other comedians do, and laugh, then it's 100% worth it...

Good call - I think Dana Gould is the name I saw attached to post I read. 

16 hours ago, bb.king said:

Oh my God I totally cannot un-see this now! That is subversively brilliant. 

22 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Oh my God I totally cannot un-see this now! That is subversively brilliant. 

It's really obvious in this 5 Neat Guys Gold video...whoops I said I wasn't going to post any more clips...sorry...one more post...now I'd done!

and they weren't even trying to hide it in this one as Joe's trying to sober up before they go on stage...

was talking with a friend about it this morning... it's something the true greats of improv are always thinking about. How to make the others in the scene "break". Farley and Ferrell were/are both great at it, though their examples are usually more broad and noticeable. Farley was famous for taking about 30% off in dress and then come show time he would dial it WAY up just to bust the other people in the sketch. 

On 2024-04-04 at 1:29 PM, Noeller said:

was talking with a friend about it this morning... it's something the true greats of improv are always thinking about. How to make the others in the scene "break". Farley and Ferrell were/are both great at it, though their examples are usually more broad and noticeable. Farley was famous for taking about 30% off in dress and then come show time he would dial it WAY up just to bust the other people in the sketch. 

A fine example.

There's a famous story among true SNL nerds about this sketch where Farley was just like an extra person in it. It was a restaurant scene and I can't remember if Sandler and Spade were waiters coming around with the cheese grater thing or what it was, but Farley was just a customer in the restaurant... And before the sketch, Farley says to Sandler "I'm gonna getcha in this one..." Sandler "dude you're barely in it... You can't get me..." And so Sandler comes around with the cheese grater or pepper grinder or something and asks Farley and the woman playing his wife if they want some more ________ and Farley just unloads with a bellowing "WHY YES!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!" and Sandler loses it... Trying to not look at the camera. The best always did it for the rest of the cast and if the audience came along for the ride, then bonus....

56 minutes ago, Noeller said:

There's a famous story among true SNL nerds about this sketch where Farley was just like an extra person in it. It was a restaurant scene and I can't remember if Sandler and Spade were waiters coming around with the cheese grater thing or what it was, but Farley was just a customer in the restaurant... And before the sketch, Farley says to Sandler "I'm gonna getcha in this one..." Sandler "dude you're barely in it... You can't get me..." And so Sandler comes around with the cheese grater or pepper grinder or something and asks Farley and the woman playing his wife if they want some more ________ and Farley just unloads with a bellowing "WHY YES!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!" and Sandler loses it... Trying to not look at the camera. The best always did it for the rest of the cast and if the audience came along for the ride, then bonus....

The Farley part starts at the 5 minute mark.

11 hours ago, bigg jay said:

The Farley part starts at the 5 minute mark.

I can always count on you, bro! I remember seeing a clip of Sandler talking about this in recent years. Farley truly was one of the VERY best....

Also the reaction isn't quite as big from Sandler (Carvey actually seems the most surprised by it) but I do remember them talking about this sketch and how Farley was supposed to be a nothing part in it, but he just decided on his own to take it up 5 notches to try and break the other cast. Unbelievably funny. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Also the reaction isn't quite as big from Sandler (Carvey actually seems the most surprised by it) but I do remember them talking about this sketch and how Farley was supposed to be a nothing part in it, but he just decided on his own to take it up 5 notches to try and break the other cast. Unbelievably funny. 

Sandler definitely had to look away multiple times so he didn't completely break.  I loved Farley, I don't know how anyone kept a straight face around him during those skits.