2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

To be fair....Brandon didn't say they had a right to push their beliefs. Just that they had a right to have them.

Yes but in certain cases simply stringing words together with no coherency with no critical thought does not render it a perspective, another side, a viewpoint, a belief. It simply makes it an absurd thought wanting it to be true and then gets upset when called on it.

58 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I guess where I disagree is voicing = pushing. I don't see it that way. If we don't let people voice their incorrect opinions, they'll never be able to have them challenged. 

It’s how some respond when their absurd drivel is rightly challenged is what is frustrating to me.

12 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I am wrong and you are right upon further review.

No worries... It's one of the great ironies that two bitter rivals (Bell and Rogers) are in bed together with MLSE.... But $$$ trumps all.

11 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Yes but in certain cases simply stringing words together with no coherency with no critical thought does not render it a perspective, another side, a viewpoint, a belief. It simply makes it an absurd thought wanting it to be true and then gets upset when called on it.

Opinion: a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

9 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Opinion: a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I get that. It’s how it’s presented to others and how one reacts when challenged on it is what frustrates me at times.

22 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

How would someone who holds those views arrive at the conclusion they are incorrect if they arent debatable?

People who hold positions that aren’t based on fact or logic won’t give up those position due to arguments based on facts and logic. 
 Any topic should be open for discussion, but facts should only be debated by qualified people. 
 In general debates swing people who are on the fence. How do you get people off wrong headed, disgusting, or extremist views? Figure that out and we are on the verge of world peace. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

People who hold positions that aren’t based on fact or logic won’t give up those position due to arguments based on facts and logic
 Any topic should be open for discussion, but facts should only be debated by qualified people. 
 In general debates swing people who are on the fence. How do you get people off wrong headed, disgusting, or extremist views? Figure that out and we are on the verge of world peace. 

Theres a remarkable amount of data that proves that is incorrect. But I don't want to get this thread off the tracks any further than I already have. So I'll leave it at that. Feel free to message me if you'd like to continue.

Edited by Bigblue204

53 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

How would someone who holds those views arrive at the conclusion they are incorrect if they arent debatable?

One last thing, then I'll leave this alone.  I had not planned to wade in at all.

There are times when you can debate a subject until the end of time, and no one changes their mind.  

This is a rhetorical question: have you ever debated with someone who believes the earth is flat?  I have.  

19 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Dear Lord this thread is getting dragged down the rabbit hole of politics. Please people do better.

JBR my post above has nothing to do with you, I don't know why your text box appeared on it and it won't let me delete it. I think i tried quoting you on something yesterday and can't post anything on this thread without your text box appearing from my abandoned post yesterday. My apologies.

Edited by GCn20

17 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

One last thing, then I'll leave this alone.  I had not planned to wade in at all.

There are times when you can debate a subject until the end of time, and no one changes their mind.  

This is a rhetorical question: have you ever debated with someone who believes the earth is flat?  I have.  

Some people just refuse to be enlightened. Some lack the intelligence. Doesn't take too long to identify these people. I don't waste my time with them.

Edited by bryan35

13 hours ago, Jesse said:

I'd argue that's what you're doing. You're pushing a definition over and over arguing semantics instead of engaging with the spirit of the conversation.

We are talking about equity of results. IE. Women being treated equally to men in professional sports. Some women have spoken out in this case to help bridge that gap. To fine them would only make the gap wider. 

EDIT: And none of us grew up being taught that women belong in pro sports. This is us learning from previous generations mistakes and changing our view points over time with new information. Not just parroting the same privileged views without ever challenging ourselves to think with empathy. 

That's because I'm not arguing that the women don't have a right to complain. I'm arguing that equality & equity is getting the same results as men who complain. I'd like to think they'd take the fine as the cost of getting their point across. It certainly wouldn't increase the gap.

I have absolutely no problem with women in pro sports. Never had. 

You really need to define what you think privileged means to you. 

10 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Some views are not debateable, they are simply incorrect.  

What's 'simply incorrect' changes over time. Most folks were on the wrong side of the slavery argument. It wasn't until 1980 that workplace sexual harassment became a form of discrimination. Before that women were the ones who were on the wrong side of that argument. Instead of blocking or firing people with differing opinions, we need to let them talk, think about what they have to say and each decide for ourselves if they are right or wrong.

24 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Dear Lord this thread is getting dragged down the rabbit hole of politics. Please people do better.

JBR my post above has nothing to do with you, I don't know why your text box appeared on it and it won't let me delete it. I think i tried quoting you on something yesterday and can't post anything on this thread without your text box appearing from my abandoned post yesterday. My apologies.

What do you mean people do better?

I actually find the conversation going fairly well between posters albeit off the thread topic but that's what happens when there is no where to go to have this convo.

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I actually find the conversation going fairly well between posters albeit off the thread topic but that's what happens when there is no where to go to have this convo.

Just ignore the people who get butthurt when they can't just spout their usual nonsense and expect no one to push back. 

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I mean, this is a football forum. Let's stick to that and not start tripping over each other's political ideologies while doing so. Nothing good ever comes out of that.

Just now, JCon said:

Just ignore the people who get butthurt when they can't just spout their usual nonsense and expect no one to push back. 

Or ignore the people who feel like they need to drag their own personal ideologies and political nonsense into every thread because they are butthurt that those threads were taken away from them.

13 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Some views are not debateable, they are simply incorrect.  

Totally agree. I would support the mods just simply deleting them so we don't open up these kind of derailing tangents in the football threads.

6 minutes ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

So Lemon is allowed to practice and rejoin the team with an appeal, Kelly was allowed to practice while suspended (until backlash changed that) Interesting....

Kelly also has to complete a program before he returns, and lemon has appealed the suspension which freezes it out until the appeal process is completed.