2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

1 minute ago, Geebrr said:

I was happy not to pay Drew - for the record. 

I was really sad to lose the talent, but honestly was and still am torn over that pay day. We needed that grit and nastiness a lot last year. I still think hes the best guard head and shoulders above the rest, just on a worse ol now on a team that had no qb consistency. But, if I could go back in time and it was up to me to give him that money or lose him, I have no idea what the right move would be. But I probably let him walk and still lament it. 

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

If youre going to over pay some one, and if they aren't a qb, let it be a young starting NI. 

IF all the reported numbers are correct, is bradys deal better than desjarlais? 256k last year. Both very young, top of their position NIs. Desjarlais was universally panned here and league wide. But if your biggest over pay is a young NI starter you are in decent shape. Better than giving out 300k to a new wr every year. Or the buckets of money dropped on MBT. 

Desjarais as well tho doesnt look worth that money...was he a success story here due to who he played with?...like Chungh before him?

1 minute ago, Booch said:

its volume based as well BO had far and away most carries, so production by an import could be very comparable...Brown in Edm had for example 75 less carries, and also had a higher yards per carry average, behind a garbage oline, and literally no passing game.

Oullette had 82 less...and .2 yards less per carry

Butler was closets to carries....260 to 235...and a lesser yards per rush, but offered more in passing game

A quality back with volume...behind a good oline would offer more than adequate production...possibly more with a commitment to the run....for 1/3 the price if a rookie...and there are lots out there....Brady is great and hope he kills it again, and cant see him not.....just thats a lot of cheddar for replaceable work...and not a ratio need

Dont get me wrong...glad we retained him...just hope the price doesn't sacrifice something elsewhere...so curious to what Oullette will be getting, and if he was hard lined in th sand at over 160k for an import then I would take BO over that as paying an import anything over that is as dumb as Hardricks 235K

Agreed. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

I was really sad to lose the talent, but honestly was and still am torn over that pay day. We needed that grit and nastiness a lot last year. I still think hes the best guard head and shoulders above the rest, just on a worse ol now on a team that had no qb consistency. But, if I could go back in time and it was up to me to give him that money or lose him, I have no idea what the right move would be. But I probably let him walk and still lament it. 

If we get Eli and Dobson in the lineup...with Neuf we will have the grittyess nastiest interior in the league, and all big dudes

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

He probably is the best guard - and would love to have him back. But, when you have no talent like Ottawa you can put more money into a guy to turn it around. 

Just now, Booch said:

Desjarais as well tho doesnt look worth that money...was he a success story here due to who he played with?...like Chungh before him?

Some of it was, but how much of the heavily improved run success that OTT enjoyed was him? Not just in play but in setting the tone too. Would brady have had great success in edmonton? We can't really know. I tend to think he would have some success but demski wouldve been moc then. 

Whose deal is worse? I'm honestly torn, but I'd probably lean to desjarlais but not by much. 

Just now, Booch said:

If we get Eli and Dobson in the lineup...with Neuf we will have the grittyess nastiest interior in the league, and all big dudes

Agreed. I forgot that Neufield was almost 6’5” until he mentioned it on the Bombers podcast. 

He also mentioned Kolo struggles to stay over 200 lbs - which is wild to think about. I’m sure he was exaggerating- but never would have taken him as a high metabolism guy. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I agree. I would also add that the change to RT will also help him. The less hits collaros takes the better he performs. This is universally true with qbs, but soo much more so with collaros. A comfortable collaros can make scoring a TD on every drive look easy. An un comfortable collaros looks like hes gonna snap and soon retire. 

a more agile mobile RT will def help ZC take less punishment, and be more settled in pocket...Yosh for all he brought and gave...was getting beat a lot with speed and moves last yr, and roller skated as he had to set more upright and guys were getting under him immediately and he had no base, and first punch...Just watch Stan and his use of hands and how a simple swat or misdirect of a dlineman totally takes their move out of their arsenal...Yosh wasnt doing that no more

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

I do agree. If we get 2 of those guys starting on the OL it will help a lot. Though hardrick was a nasty guy in the run game atleast too. If its richmond, gray, and kola in the starters group Idk, I think we get worse in grittyness. 

Despite the narrative, I don’t own the team. It isn’t my money. How they choo Choo choose to allocate funds is nuna my biznatch. I just cheer for the logo on the front and sometimes name on the back. 

you know who is happy Brady is back. Lost and abused puppies and so am I.  

it’s an overpay. No it’s not. It’s market value. Ppl seem to be stuck in the old cfl where guys were paid peanuts for being the MOC and really 2000 all purpose yards. Brady is the best back in the league, it’s not close. Fair value in my opinion. 

Edited by Goalie

1 minute ago, Geebrr said:

Agreed. I forgot that Neufield was almost 6’5” until he mentioned it on the Bombers podcast. 

He also mentioned Kolo struggles to stay over 200 lbs - which is wild to think about. I’m sure he was exaggerating- but never would have taken him as a high metabolism guy. 

Kola isn't a big frame guy. If he's 6'1 then so is wade miller lol. Its hard to maintain 300lbs for a linemen through out a game. The water loss and calories burned is pretty crazy. That is why the modern style OL even at guard is far more svelt. 

20 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I think you're overestimating the production we'd get out of random american back. There's a lot of backs around the league....Brady was several cuts above.

Those speedy backs that shred college defences by running through massive holes, tend not to hold up well when they have to bust through the line to find space, and are met by pro level tacklers.

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

a more agile mobile RT will def help ZC take less punishment, and be more settled in pocket...Yosh for all he brought and gave...was getting beat a lot with speed and moves last yr, and roller skated as he had to set more upright and guys were getting under him immediately and he had no base, and first punch...Just watch Stan and his use of hands and how a simple swat or misdirect of a dlineman totally takes their move out of their arsenal...Yosh wasnt doing that no more

Yep. Honestly nuef had 1 good game at tackle in relief, I believe it was vs edm. They literally just bullrushed him every snap and he played like a guard. The next week was a different story. Last year hardrick was like a guard stuck out at tackle. Some teams exploited it, other teams failed to. Yoshi also seemed to regain the weight he originally cut since the GC wins. I get it, that can be hard to keep off for a guy like him, at that age, with his history. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at his biggest in ssk. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

Kola isn't a big frame guy. If he's 6'1 then so is wade miller lol. Its hard to maintain 300lbs for a linemen through out a game. The water loss and calories burned is pretty crazy. That is why the modern style OL even at guard is far more svelt. 

he is undersized for a center...and wayyyyyy under sized for guard....and would never be a tackle....so that signing still baffles me....he got bullied around a lot last yr, and it affected the whole interior...could just imagine the numbers BO would have put up had Eli been in all yr getting in a groove...Maybe that was Osh plan all along...field an inferior oline to limit the production for contract time

2 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Those speedy backs that shred college defences by running through massive holes, tend not to hold up well when they have to bust through the line to find space, and are met by pro level tacklers.

I think thats more true of 15 ish years ago football. When Mlbers were 250 lbs +, wils were 235+, and speed backs frequently under 180. These days speed backs are frequently close to 200 lbs, and lbers 220 and under. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

Yep. Honestly nuef had 1 good game at tackle in relief, I believe it was vs edm. They literally just bullrushed him every snap and he played like a guard. The next week was a different story. Last year hardrick was like a guard stuck out at tackle. Some teams exploited it, other teams failed to. Yoshi also seemed to regain the weight he originally cut since the GC wins. I get it, that can be hard to keep off for a guy like him, at that age, with his history. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at his biggest in ssk. 

part of his delining play is his frame now....and why he couldnt be set in a typical fashion

Just now, Goalie said:

So who are we not gonna be signing from our list? 

do we have any names yet of guys who they are gonna let go. 

grant? Gray? Bolo? 

I think gray will be back. Probably bolo if he still wants to play too. Grant I think is gone, schoen likely gone, castillo might settle back here due to limited options. 

he is undersized for a center...and wayyyyyy under sized for guard....and would never be a tackle....so that signing still baffles me....he got bullied around a lot last yr, and it affected the whole interior...could just imagine the numbers BO would have put up had Eli been in all yr getting in a groove...Maybe that was Osh plan all along...field an inferior oline to limit the production for contract time

yeah, he honestly looks like a big LS, more than an OL. When you look at him next to big stan its staggering. 

part of his delining play is his frame now....and why he couldnt be set in a typical fashion

Yeah, we kept trying to slide him out to make up for the gap. I look forward to seeing what richmond can do in camp, but the thing will always be can he stay healthy. I thought Vanterpool was going to be a longer term project, but they might be bringing him in to fight for a spot. 

Now hearing DB Demerio Houston has agreed in principle to a two-year deal with Calgary that has a total guaranteed figure exceeding $275k, making him one of the league’s highest-paid defensive backs.

what in the actual **** lol

Just now, Geebrr said:

Someone tell me why we wouldn’t want Jamal Davis  II coming off the edge. 

Actually been a fan of his for a while