3 stars plus hh ldcraptastic

wbbfan

Time for us to face reality and admit the Bombers are no longer the best team in the league this year, if they ever were. No part of this team can legitimately claim to be the best- not the quarterbacking, not the receivers, not the d-line, not the linebacking nor the d-backs, and certainly not the special teams who are anything but. Brady Oliveira is a bright spot.

I see the same pattern emerging as last year where the Bombers stumbled late in the season, bumbling their way to victories but spiraling downward through the playoffs and finally crashing in the Grey Cup game. It just seems to be happening earlier this year. O'Shea and Co. seem to be just fine with the current level of play and obvious holes in the roster.

Edited by Tracker

5 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Time for us to face reality and admit the Bombers are no longer the best team in the league this year, if they ever were. No part of this team can legitimately claim to be the best- not the quarterbacking, not the receivers, not the d-line, not the linebacking nor the d-backs, and certainly not the special teams who are anything but. Brady Oliveira is a bright spot.

I see the same pattern emerging as last year where the Bombers stumbled late in the season, bumbling their way to victories but spiraling downward through the playoffs and finally crashing in the Grey Cup game. It just seems to be happening earlier this year. O'Shea and Co. seem to be just fine with the current level of play and obvious holes in the roster.

He said it himself...not worried unless it results in a loss...well...start some worrying or make some changes 

Just now, Booch said:

He said it himself...not worried unless it results in a loss...well...start some worrying or make some changes 

If it hasn't happened by now, I wonder if its going to happen at all. I keep getting the feeling that they think that once our wounded return, all will be well.

51 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Honestly that game comes down to 2 things for me: receivers didn't make catches and collaros appears to have the yips. Has for a while now. He just doesn't have the same swagger he had previously. Off on his throws,  doesn't trust his protection. Not sure what's going on with the guy. 

It goes back to last year in the Grey Cup game.  Zach didn’t look particularly solid there either but his play (this year) is really emblematic of the team’s performance as a whole.

We simply don’t know what to expect week in week out.  This edition of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers is wildly inconsistent.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Honestly that game comes down to 2 things for me: receivers didn't make catches and collaros appears to have the yips. Has for a while now. He just doesn't have the same swagger he had previously. Off on his throws,  doesn't trust his protection. Not sure what's going on with the guy. 

Since the GC, his protection has been hot and cold- as has his performance.

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Dunno....never really track that...but he has been a lil more in the picture before.

Just catching up after a long day, this post made me Hmm. Your right Booch. Dare we ask, we gonna lose him off season? I hope not.

Edited by Piggy 1

16 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Those 2 factors for sure, but O'Shea giving up 2 singles, especially the no yards one, was absolutely braindead and inexcusable and led directly to the loss. Primary reason we lost IMO.

The primary reason we lost is because despite the numbers our o did **** all for 3 quarters 

That comes down to not trusting your returner. I don't blame him for taking the singles. Honestly if we diidnt we probably lose in regulation 

Edited by Goalie

19 minutes ago, Goalie said:

The primary reason we lost is because despite the numbers our o did **** all for 3 quarters 

That comes down to not trusting your returner. I don't blame him for taking the singles. Honestly if we diidnt we probably lose in regulation 

seems like he didnt trust offence...or defense either...those were 2 glaring screw ups...and cost us in the end....that combined with a poor scheme for parts....a thin defensive line with a few guys who shouldn't've be getting the reps they get....and the first series of 1st and goal inside the 10 where we didnt just pound it 3 times with BO and got cute and had to settle for a FG....that combined was the game

16 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Third thing would be the god-awful returning and kick coverage.

Totally agree on Collaros. He can still ball out but he's been hit too many times this year and it shows.

5 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Totally agree on Collaros. He can still ball out but he's been hit too many times this year and it shows.

We put a 3rd string QB on a short field the entire game. Even a dud like Dolegala will FG you to death if all he ever needs is 15 yards to FG range....and that is exactly what happened. No defence in the world can be asked to win a game like that, therefore, offensively we needed more than 2 yards passing until late in the 2nd Q. Guys dropping balls, and Collaros missing shots where guys are open....and it was done. We get some punt/KR coverage and an O that shows up before half time and we absolutely cream these guys. Before anyone says well maybe the Sask defence was so good that they just shut our offence down...go watch that first half again....dropped balls and inaccurate throws to open receivers.

Edited by GCn20

2 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

thats a major thing killing us....Returns were good with Grant...coverages were crap all year...and they know why it's crap....but continue to try and make it not crap....go back to what works....And ZC just nedds a few good clean games to get his mojo back....not too concerned there really....he has moments in games and for stretches where he is lights out.....so it's not an ability issue...just something in his head ...I sure he will over come it

Just now, GCn20 said:

We put a 3rd string QB on a short field the entire game. Even a dud like Dolegala will FG you to death if all he ever needs is 15 yards to FG range....and that is exactly what happened. No defence in the world can be asked to win a game like that, therefore, offensively we needed more than 2 yards passing until late in the 2nd Q. Guys dropping balls, and Collaros missing shots where guys are open....and it was done. We get some punt/KR coverage and an O that shows up before half time and we absolutely cream these guys.

very true....and killed us....The defence last 5 games I think has given up like 4 td's...tops....Our offence is in a funk because it's not being a ball control grinding machine like it can be....thse deep shots will be there once we re-establish what we were...right now a lot of our warts are all on coaching

also....ou insistance to stand pat....and reward guys who been here...even tho they are not top quality is just a head scratcher...after the 2nd game of return incompetence, we should have been bringing in returners to get the job done....Same with if they were not happy with Darby....if yu don't have the players on the PR to step in...then go get some....and dump the dead weight...rewarding a Kramdi, just because basically, and then not even taking advantage of the fact you have an extra Canadian on defence so you could sub in a impact American at will on the dline, and not have to run out a couple slugs repeatedly would be a huge difference maker....Kramdi is not a quality starter, and offers less than Darby...Parker...even Cole there....Clements would offer more there 

Definitely interested to see what the 1s look like when the team gets back to practice this week (I assume tomorrow morning...?) and how many returning bodies we might get. I'm a bit concerned that the team is going to be too heated because of the head butt and not able to play a normal, calm game. If they get too caught up in the drama of it all, that's going to work against us. Here's hoping everyone realizes that the best revenge is to just hang a dirty **** kicking on them just like last year. 

I'm getting really concerned about our on field coverage on punts....Cripes it's forever until you see our guys even get in the picture on most occasions, as their returner is burning up the field...Just horse$hit coverage...We need Miller back (hopefully) or someone else take charge and get the hell downfield and make a tackle .... Other teams are swarming returners and most times they have pressure.....We need some vast improvement

Just now, Noeller said:

Definitely interested to see what the 1s look like when the team gets back to practice this week (I assume tomorrow morning...?) and how many returning bodies we might get. I'm a bit concerned that the team is going to be too heated because of the head butt and not able to play a normal, calm game. If they get too caught up in the drama of it all, that's going to work against us. Here's hoping everyone realizes that the best revenge is to just hang a dirty **** kicking on them just like last year. 

I think this should make em laser focused, and intent on making a statement.....too many quality vets to let this team become a hot headed mess.

I'd like to see ...even to see if it just gets a spark...which is what a good coach would do...Jefferson and Willy backed by Haba (Bye Jackson) and if Hansen ready, Mauro you sit

Fox in for Mcrae, as really...what did he do that was noticeable last game?....dont need him, and Parker can do all returns....and back up all the secondary spots.....If we feel the need to "start" Kramdi...again....well then we can run set after set of all imports...our best dlineman to create a lot of pressure, as it was apparent...under any type of pressure Dolegala couldn't hit broad side of a barn....With the Jeff's and the crappy rider oline having to contend with brutes Walker and Fox ...withsome Lawson and 5 to 6 reps for Jake all game long they will cave, and our db's and linebackers will feast....woudnt have to send max pressure and let guys run free underneath

On offence as well...run some normal regular stuff....put the jumbo package on back burner for a bit, or used sparingly, and allow your playmakers to do what they do...make plays.....and I would test out sets with Eli at center...it's time....and the attitude he brings and the way he manhandles defensive lineman would do wonders all throughout our oline....since we lost Dejarlias and Couture up the middle..we lost some edge...as both were mean ornary buggers...Eli is prob even more ornary and will definately get under the skin of the undisciplined players

10 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I'm getting really concerned about our on field coverage on punts....Cripes it's forever until you see our guys even get in the picture on most occasions, as their returner is burning up the field...Just horse$hit coverage...We need Miller back (hopefully) or someone else take charge and get the hell downfield and make a tackle .... Other teams are swarming returners and most times they have pressure.....We need some vast improvement

thing is....the punter isnt helping them...time to also put away the lame sidewinding aussie stuf and start to pound the ball a bit with some hang time....and use the wierd punt here and there to keep teams off guard...what we doing now is not helping coverage teams at all....and whatother team with an Aussie punter do you see do that crap 90% of the time...not grace...not ballsack or whatever his name is in Sask....again....dumb coaching killing us

40 minutes ago, Booch said:

I think this should make em laser focused, and intent on making a statement.....too many quality vets to let this team become a hot headed mess.

I'd like to see ...even to see if it just gets a spark...which is what a good coach would do...Jefferson and Willy backed by Haba (Bye Jackson) and if Hansen ready, Mauro you sit

Fox in for Mcrae, as really...what did he do that was noticeable last game?....dont need him, and Parker can do all returns....and back up all the secondary spots.....If we feel the need to "start" Kramdi...again....well then we can run set after set of all imports...our best dlineman to create a lot of pressure, as it was apparent...under any type of pressure Dolegala couldn't hit broad side of a barn....With the Jeff's and the crappy rider oline having to contend with brutes Walker and Fox ...withsome Lawson and 5 to 6 reps for Jake all game long they will cave, and our db's and linebackers will feast....woudnt have to send max pressure and let guys run free underneath

On offence as well...run some normal regular stuff....put the jumbo package on back burner for a bit, or used sparingly, and allow your playmakers to do what they do...make plays.....and I would test out sets with Eli at center...it's time....and the attitude he brings and the way he manhandles defensive lineman would do wonders all throughout our oline....since we lost Dejarlias and Couture up the middle..we lost some edge...as both were mean ornary buggers...Eli is prob even more ornary and will definately get under the skin of the undisciplined players

thing is....the punter isnt helping them...time to also put away the lame sidewinding aussie stuf and start to pound the ball a bit with some hang time....and use the wierd punt here and there to keep teams off guard...what we doing now is not helping coverage teams at all....and whatother team with an Aussie punter do you see do that crap 90% of the time...not grace...not ballsack or whatever his name is in Sask....again....dumb coaching killing us

Yeah I don’t know what happened to the ST but also when was the last time the Bombers tricked a fake punt or field goal? I know you can’t use it all the time but when O’Shea first came to the Bombers his ST gimmicks kept us in a lot of games, now we can’t cover kickoffs/punts, we don’t have a capable returner besides Grant, there’s no creativity, and really we’re quite lucky we were able to get Castillo because he’s been one of the few bright spots on ST, otherwise this unit as a whole has been very different then some point past O’Shea coached teams. 

the fact that we got only three sacks and they all came on blitzes.... clearly shows that we need to do something different on the D-line... adding more players, ideally Haba (in for Jackson) and Hansen (in for Maruo) would be the best case scenario... Hansen obviously helps teams too...

and FWIW... I don't think Robertson actually meant to head-butt Collaros... I think he was trying to just act like a tough guy in front of him... that said, accident or not, it is absolutely inexcusable that he wasn't thrown out of the game immediately AND suspended for an additional game... how is the CFL going to justify this one??  

18 hours ago, 17to85 said:

He's scared to get hit. Because twice this year now in pcs after the game he has gone off on reffing and the hits. I don't blame him but his head isn't in it always, a **** talking Zach isn't normal. We have seen that now a few times. 

There were many reasons for our defeat. Essentially no group played 60 minute football. It only takes a couple of errors to lose a game. We gave up 3 points early because of a turnover. Houston and then Rose tried to undercut a pass resulting in a 108 yard TD drive for the Riders.  Collaros had 29 yards passing in the 1st half. Schoen dropped a couple. Lawler dropped on.

Our coverage and return games were as bad as we've seen in recent years.

I wasn't impressed with the play calling on offence or defence.