The RIP 2023 Thread

TrueBlue4ever

On 2023-02-01 at 2:19 PM, Tracker said:

May be an image of text that says 'Aging Musicians Still with us in 2023 Willie Nelson-89 Tina Turner-83 Grace Slick-83 Smokey Robinson-82 Ringo Starr-82 Bob Dylan-81 Paul S”mon-8 Neil Diamond-81 Brian Wilson-80 Paul McCartney-80 Roger Waters-79 Steve Miller-79 Barry Manilow-79 Mick Jagger-79 Peter Cetera-78 Rod Stewart-78 Boz Scaggs-78 Ray Davies-78 Carly Simon-78 John Fogerty- Debbie Harry-77 Bob Seger-77 Eric Clapton-77 Roger Hodgson-71 Pete Townshend-77 Linda Ronstadt-76 Barry Gibb-76 Iggy Pop-75 Joe Walsh-75 Carlos Santana-75 Elton John-75 Stevie Nicks-74 Alice cooper-74 Robert Plant-7 Alan Parsons-74 Steve Winwood-74 Bruce Springsteen-73 Lionel Richie-73 Peter Gabriel-72 Billy Squier-72 Billy Joel-72 Peter Frampton-72 Stevie Wonder-72'

Is there a reason that Keith Richards isn't on that list?  Is it because he actually died in 1975?  LOL

On 2023-02-04 at 7:12 AM, TrueBlue4ever said:

Hard to process that Ralphie’s mom from “A Christmas Story” was the same actress who was in “Slap Shot”. Died Jan. 9 but not reported until now. 

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/04/entertainment/actress-melinda-dillon-obit-christmas-story-trnd/index.html

I was just reading a story about how Bruce Boudreau's apartment was used for the scene in Slapshot where Paul Newman is trying to get some sleep but keeps getting interrupted.  The director wanted to keep the apartment "as authentic as possible to what a player's apartment would look like" and so even left the Canadian flag on the wall that you clearly see taped over the bed.  It's never mentioned in the movie whether Paul Newman (Reg Dunlop) is actually Canadian, so I was curious as to why the Canadian flag appears in that scene, and now I know why.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

25 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Is there a reason that Keith Richards isn't on that list?  Is it because he actually died in 1975?  LOL

I was just reading a story about how Bruce Boudreau's apartment was used for the scene in Slapshot where Paul Newman is trying to get some sleep but keeps getting interrupted.  The director wanted to keep the apartment "as authentic as possible to what a player's apartment would look like" and so even left the Canadian flag on the wall that you clearly see taped over the bed.  It's never mentioned in the movie whether Paul Newman (Reg Dunlop) is actually Canadian, so I was curious as to why the Canadian flag appears in that scene, and now I know why.

Keith Richards is technically still alive but he was predeceased in 1975 by 98% of his brain cells.

Longtime CBC journalist, editor dead after random assault in Toronto | Globalnews.ca

I think this announcement slipped through Iheart's net as I didn't see it posted anywhere, if it was I apologize.  Pretty sad - guy is walking down the street in Toronto and gets randomly assaulted.  What is going on in Toronto??

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Always wrestled in his brother's shadow. No matter what he did, Lanny had nowhere near the popularity of Randy. 

Which is ironic because earlier in their careers (pre-WWF), it was the reverse.  Lanny was pushed as the star while Randy was more of an enforcer-type guy.   

Vince did Lanny no favors by sticking him with the "Leaping Lanny" gimmick.  The Genius was an upgrade of that character and Lanny played it well, but it was never going to be anything more than a lower/mid-card role.

16 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

If you can find an interview with Claude Noel talking about that you will not be disappointed.  Hilarious!  He was there as well.

Burt Bacharach MADE Dionne Warwick. Every one of her hits in the 60's & 70's were his songs. She'd have been another struggling singer without him. 

Do You know The Way To San Jose?

Walk On By

I Say A Little Prayer

You'll Never Get To Heaven

Let Me Go To Him

I'll Never Fall In Love Again

Alfie

Don't Go Breaking My Heart

This Girl's In Love With You

Trains, Boats & Planes

Message To Michael

Reach Out For Me

Promises, Promises

Just ridiculous.....

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Anyone who only knows him from Austin Powers is missing a lot. He was a giant in the songwriting business for 3 decades. Many songs you know as someone else’s were actually written by him. Here is a good obit that breaks down just how much he added to the music industry in his time. 

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/09/entertainment/burt-bacharach-death/index.html

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

He wrote the songs. She sang them. That sounds like they worked together. 

it's a weird, almost racist flex....that the black singer, who is one of the most incredible voices of all time, would be nothing without the white songwriter. **** that... you can just as easily say that the songs would be nothing without her incredible talent. 

20 minutes ago, JCon said:

He wrote the songs. She sang them. That sounds like they worked together. 

Yes, they did. But she didn't collaborate on any of them. Bacharach co wrote all his songs with Hal David. They were a team. All their songs were copyrighted with just their names. Warwick had no writing credits. They picked her to sing their songs. She would have had to audition along with other singers. Warwick was a huge talent as a singer but not as a writer. 

Sort of why Paul Simon sold his book of songs including any S & G for half a billion dollars to Sony Music in 2021 & Art Garfunkel got nothing. The real money is in the writing of the songs but not the singing. Although Warwick was well paid through her career. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

it's a weird, almost racist flex....that the black singer, who is one of the most incredible voices of all time, would be nothing without the white songwriter. **** that... you can just as easily say that the songs would be nothing without her incredible talent. 

It's not racist. It's copyright. What about Simon & Garfunkel? Two white dudes. Garfunkel didn't write one song. Paul Simon wrote all of them. And he was paid for it. Simon sold his book of songs to Sony Music for half a billion dollars while Garfunkel got nothing. And Simon wouldn't pay him a penny. The Eagles. Four white dudes. Guitarist Don Felder wanted all monies split evenly. Don Henley & Glenn Frey said **** that. After lots of srguing & legal wrangling, Felder was tossed out of the band on his ass. He never received writing royalties.