The RIP 2023 Thread

TrueBlue4ever

was definitely waiting for this one

1 hour ago, GCJenks said:

This year is off to a brisk start. Any guesses on the over/under? I think if this pace keeps it’s somewhere in the 200 range. 

I don't know for last year I consider Sidney Poitier to be the first big one of the year and that was barely a week in

I started the last thread on the first day of the year, this one was started on the 3rd....I'm really hoping for under

Knowing what we know now about Bobby Hull's off-ice life..... it's tough to say a lot of good things about the man. Having said that, if not for Bobby Hull coming to town, there may not be hockey in YWG today, so everyone should be thankful for that. An absolute legend on the ice. 

20 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Knowing what we know now about Bobby Hull's off-ice life..... it's tough to say a lot of good things about the man. Having said that, if not for Bobby Hull coming to town, there may not be hockey in YWG today, so everyone should be thankful for that. An absolute legend on the ice. 

Given what we know about him, this is probably the most positive sentiment one could muster. It’s tough, we all grew up hearing about him being THE guy.
A person who at one point was the epitome of Winnipeg sports, who my Dad and uncles idolized turning out that way sucked. 
Closest comparable figure to me is Adrian Peterson. 

On 2023-01-12 at 7:44 PM, iHeart said:

She was at the Golden Globes two days ago

Lisa Marie Presley Was Taking Opioids, Weight Loss Drugs Before Death: TMZ

Lisa Marie Presley was undergoing an extreme weight loss regimen before her death because she wanted to look good while attending award ceremonies for Elvis, according to TMZ. Citing family sources, the outlet reports that Presley had plastic surgery and was taking weight loss drugs, shedding between 40 and 50 pounds in the six weeks before the Golden Globes on Jan. 10. Presley, who died two days later at the age of 54, was also taking opioids, relapsing into an addiction she’d battled for years, the sources tell TMZ. While her cause of death may not be revealed for months while toxicology results are still pending, Presley reportedly complained of abdominal pain on the morning of her death.

2 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Given what we know about him, this is probably the most positive sentiment one could muster. It’s tough, we all grew up hearing about him being THE guy.
A person who at one point was the epitome of Winnipeg sports, who my Dad and uncles idolized turning out that way sucked. 
Closest comparable figure to me is Adrian Peterson. 

Electrifying player and a great ambassador for the game, growing up I was a die hard Canadiens fan until Hull showed up in Wpg. and formed the "Hot Line" with Hedberg and Nilsson in the WHA.  Hands down the most exciting hockey I've ever witnessed to this day, also got Bobby's autograph at least 10 times, he was amazingly accommodating with fans. 

9 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Electrifying player and a great ambassador for the game, growing up I was a die hard Canadiens fan until Hull showed up in Wpg. and formed the "Hot Line" with Hedberg and Nilsson in the WHA.  Hands down the most exciting hockey I've ever witnessed to this day, also got Bobby's autograph at least 10 times, he was amazingly accommodating with fans. 

And like many ambassadors, largely evaded consequences for his actions.

I was a huge Hull and Blackhawks fan as a kid. I was thrilled to death when he came to Winnipeg. He changed hockey by empowering the players. He made the NHL a possibility in Winnipeg. The Hotline changed hockey when it became the basis of the Oiler championship years.His shot has yet to be equaled in my opinion. There are tons of stories about his willingness to sign autographs. Holding up team buses too so.A friend told me of being a kid and standing in a crowded group to get an autograph.Just as he approached an adult kind of shoved him to the side and stuck his paper infront of Bobby. Hull just reached over the guy ,took my friends paper , signed it and moved on without signing the adults paper.

Edited by Rich
Removed extra white space

9 minutes ago, the watcher said:

I was a huge Hull and Blackhawks fan as a kid. I was thrilled to death when he came to Winnipeg. He changed hockey by empowering the players. He made the NHL a possibility in Winnipeg. The Hotline changed hockey when it became the basis of the Oiler championship years.His shot has yet to be equaled in my opinion. There are tons of stories about his willingness to sign autographs. Holding up team buses too so.A friend told me of being a kid and standing in a crowded group to get an autograph.Just as he approached an adult kind of shoved him to the side and stuck his paper infront of Bobby. Hull just reached over the guy ,took my friends paper , signed it and moved on without signing the adults paper.

**** that's a long post! :P