Around The NHL 2022-23

Houston or Atlanta both have far better chances of getting a team than Quebec City, right now..... but I think this Pilodeau guy that bought the Als is hoping to show that he's capable of owning an NHL team if things go well with the Als. 

18 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Houston or Atlanta both have far better chances of getting a team than Quebec City, right now..... but I think this Pilodeau guy that bought the Als is hoping to show that he's capable of owning an NHL team if things go well with the Als. 

I forgot about that Atlanta rumour...Atlanta Thrashers v2!

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

The next day after the Flames were eliminated, an excerpt taken from a piece written by Wes Gilberston from the Calgary Sun:

Will Treliving take the fall for a frustrating season, for an unexpectedly early exit?

Or will majority owner Murray Edwards determine the general manager did his part by re-stocking the roster, that the finger should be pointed elsewhere? While many in the C of Red are calling for a coaching change, while rumours swirl of a rift between the bench boss and some of the key pieces, Edwards has committed a lot of loot to the skipper.

Just moments after the Flames were eliminated from playoff contention, no longer with a mathematical shot of leapfrogging the eighth-place Winnipeg Jets, workhorse defenceman and emerging leader Rasmus Andersson told reporters: “Looking around this room, we had the squad to do it, and that probably makes it more frustrating.”

Treliving was responsible for assembling that squad. On deadline day, he described it as “a good team that has underperformed.” A mid-April farewell certainly confirms that assessment.

The bolded part is my doing as it's every GM's go to and usually gets supported by the scribes as it is here.

I think one could get into the debate on whether the Flames underperformed or did they perform where you would expect based how Trevliving brought all these different pieces together while excluding other pieces?

Chevy will probably be in the same boat come summer time.

Between Gretzky and McDavid, Toews was by far my favourite player to watch. Epitome of a leader, and an underrated scoring touch. Should be a no-doubt 1st ballot HOF-er. One of the only players to ever win World Juniors and World Men's gold in the same year..... 3 SCs......2 Oly Golds (and was crucial in both gold medal games). From 2007 until concussions and other injuries derailed him, he was one of the best players in the world. If it's indeed his last season, it's been a hell of a run for the local guy.

15 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I mean, it was a better contract than the last one Wheeler got, in hindsight. You (unfortunately) always pay a player for what they just did, and not necessarily what they're going to do down the road. 

Well, that and the fact Toews signed that contract in July 2014. 

It's not like he fell off a cliff after the Hawks won their last championship, either. Since the start of the 2015-16 season when that contract kicked in, he's put up 148 goals and 228 assists (376 points) in 501 games.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Byfuglien had already been traded. Right after the Hawks won their first championship in 2010.

yeah and it was because Toews won the Con Smythe that year, and that lead to the Hawks going over the salary cap.  Ok, instead of saying "overpaid Toews" how about "if Toews wasn't so good, we would never have gotten Buff"....

Edited by kelownabomberfan