CFL/XFL Exploring Alignment

JCon

12 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So, what if.... this new league could get on a subscription service like Amazon Prime with 150 million customers world wide?

That would be great but only if people actually watch it and Prime is willing to pay big dollars for the rights. If no one watches it won't matter what service it is on. 

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

That would be great but only if people actually watch it and Prime is willing to pay big dollars for the rights. If no one watches it won't matter what service it is on. 

This is just an example of one of the revenue streams that may be available that the CFL can't access on its own. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Man, when live sports is available on my Roku TV (I have one of those fantastic TCL Roku TV's) via a streaming platform, I'm gonna be a happy camper. The only reason I have cable is for the live sports. And I don't wanna go through some shitty website which I have to stream to a Chromecast stick. I want it via direct app on my TV... 

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

Man, when live sports is available on my Roku TV (I have one of those fantastic TCL Roku TV's) via a streaming platform, I'm gonna be a happy camper. The only reason I have cable is for the live sports. And I don't wanna go through some shitty website which I have to stream to a Chromecast stick. I want it via direct app on my TV... 

same here

So if they change the field and the rules and remove the Canadians from the game... then why would I watch the Blue Bombers when I could watch the NFL?  

The only reason I watch the CFL is because of it's uniqueness and Canadian players. 

I can't believe so called fans on here are trying to sell it to themselves that things need to change and can't always be the same.  Change the marketing, change the game day experience, change the presentation on tv.  Don't change the rules, field size, and whatever gives the CFL it's unique flavour. 

The moment they change things to cater to the American audience/teams is the moment they lose the vast majority of the remaining CFL football fans and with American teams coming and going and rosters constantly being dispersed and changed it will crap on any continuity.  It will be like the Moose/Goldeyes where every season it's a different cast of characters on the team.  Also good luck luring any free agents to Winnipeg when they have options of living closer to home or in much more desirable locations with lower taxes and much more things to do.   

When the Jets left no die hard sports fans gave two shits about the Moose.  The Moose was like the Goldeyes which was only around because it was a nice cheap night out to take the family for something fun.   I never once saw any adults wearing jerseys or anyone talking about how they were playing at work. The CFL will be watered down like the AHL or the baseball league,  nobody will give a crap and unlike the Moose who could remain profitable with 3000 - 4000 attendance per game,  the Blue Bombers won't be able to survive with attendances like that.  

16 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I feel like the long term should be sustainable with the tv deal growing each time, we just cant afford to carry a dud franchise or twos expenses. 

You're right, that's the best option. But unless those dud franchises (BC, Toronto, Montreal) turn it around financially, start getting some actual decent attendance (unlikely), I don't think the TV deal grows. I think it disappears. I think TSN would likely drop CFL football if it was a six team league with no presence in the largest markets in Canada. The CFL is in a real dilemma. 

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

So if they change the field and the rules and remove the Canadians from the game... then why would I watch the Blue Bombers when I could watch the NFL?  

The only reason I watch the CFL is because of it's uniqueness and Canadian players. 

I can't believe so called fans on here are trying to sell it to themselves that things need to change and can't always be the same.  Change the marketing, change the game day experience, change the presentation on tv.  Don't change the rules, field size, and whatever gives the CFL it's unique flavour. 

The moment they change things to cater to the American audience/teams is the moment they lose the vast majority of the remaining CFL football fans and with American teams coming and going and rosters constantly being dispersed and changed it will crap on any continuity.  It will be like the Moose/Goldeyes where every season it's a different cast of characters on the team.  Also good luck luring any free agents to Winnipeg when they have options of living closer to home or in much more desirable locations with lower taxes and much more things to do.   

When the Jets left no die hard sports fans gave two shits about the Moose.  The Moose was like the Goldeyes which was only around because it was a nice cheap night out to take the family for something fun.   I never once saw any adults wearing jerseys or anyone talking about how they were playing at work. The CFL will be watered down like the AHL or the baseball league,  nobody will give a crap and unlike the Moose who could remain profitable with 3000 - 4000 attendance per game,  the Blue Bombers won't be able to survive with attendances like that.  

They aren't going to get rid of the Canadian players.  Perhaps American teams will be required to have a ratio of local talent. Like a team in St. Louis is given a geographical area where they have to have 7 starters from 3 or 4 nearby college programs. They will also have a global ratio im sure.  Part of their vision has to be to get tv revenue from around the world. 

https://3downnation.com/2021/03/12/its-going-to-be-four-down-football-june-jones-believes-the-rock-can-pull-off-a-cfl-xfl-merger/

This is just another example of June Jones spewing his personal opinions.  He's not some insider. He's an unemployed coach who is likely to coach in the XFL again in the future.  But he's saying he thinks it will be 4 downs because that's what he thinks makes sense.  I wouldn't read much into it. 

Edited by Colin Unger

Just now, M.Silverback said:

You're right, that's the best option. But unless those dud franchises (BC, Toronto, Montreal) turn it around financially, start getting some actual decent attendance (unlikely), I don't think the TV deal grows. I think it disappears. I think TSN would likely drop CFL football if it was a six team league with no presence in the largest markets in Canada. The CFL is in a real dilemma. 

I certainly dont think the tv deal with disappear if we went down in teams, namely if we lost TO. people in to already dont care thats the worst case scenario. It would hurt though. If any thing I think losing MTL would be worse for the league pipeline wise. But I certainly dont want to see us go down to 6 teams. 

The tv deal and viewership has been growing in a time when the argos couldnt have worse support. At this point I think MTL and the argos ownership is solid. BC is the only one I worry about right now in terms of possibly needed to be carried by the league. 

I imagine that the TSN revenue would go up.  Assuming an 18 game schedule and 50% of the games are canadian team playing american team there would be 50% more games that qualify as cancom.  And of coarse the viewership in canada of American vs American xfl games would go up as well. 

Just now, Colin Unger said:

They aren't going to get rid of the Canadian players.  Perhaps American teams will be required to have a ratio of local talent. Like a team in St. Louis is given a geographical area where they have to have 7 starters from 3 or 4 nearby college programs. They will also have a global ratio im sure.  Part of their vision has to be to get tv revenue from around the world. 

https://3downnation.com/2021/03/12/its-going-to-be-four-down-football-june-jones-believes-the-rock-can-pull-off-a-cfl-xfl-merger/

This is just another example of June Jones spewing his personal opinions.  He's not some insider. He's an unemployed coach who is likely to coach in the XFL again in the future.  But he's saying he thinks it will be 4 downs because that's what he thinks makes sense.  I wouldn't read much into it. 

Us based NI dont work though. Even if its territorial. Not to mention having us based teams in league with us would badly hurt our ability to recruit. 

To hell with that. If we played some funny mixed rules or alternated rules for a cross over championship or some interleague play thatd be ok. But they cant have our 3 downs, our field width, or our endzone depth. They could take the rouge on the missed FG, id keep it on the punt though. 100 yards end zone to end zone would be fine too. More than that is suicide imo. 

32 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Us based NI dont work though. Even if its territorial. Not to mention having us based teams in league with us would badly hurt our ability to recruit. 

To hell with that. If we played some funny mixed rules or alternated rules for a cross over championship or some interleague play thatd be ok. But they cant have our 3 downs, our field width, or our endzone depth. They could take the rouge on the missed FG, id keep it on the punt though. 100 yards end zone to end zone would be fine too. More than that is suicide imo. 

Why doesn't it work to have a ratio in the united states?  The NFL is already giving extra roster spots to teams who sign an international player.

The ratio can't exist with US teams. That doesn't mean that Canadians can't play in the US, it just means that x number of jobs won't be given to Canadians, they will be given to the best available players.

Those who are saying that removal of the Canadian ratio means losing a lot of fans are wrong IMO. Some folks will stop watching for a game or two. Some will stop watching forever, but not many. Most will complain then watch anyway. I'm old enough to remember the US expansion. I was mighty pissed that the US teams didn't have the ratio. I still watched every game and went to the Grey Cups each year.

When baseball had its strike, I stopped watching baseball and haven't ever gone back. When the Jets left Winnipeg, I stopped watching hockey and never went back, except for a few playoff games a year and the Olympics.

I don't have cable any more. I have an android box that puts out 4K to HDMI. Add in a HD antenna and TSN's streaming during CFL/NFL season and I've got everything I had with cable for $20 a month. (FTR:My Internet is $60/month @300) My ROI was less than 2 months.

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Competing against a team full of imps is too big a disadvantage.  

Im assuming that there will be some sort of a ratio that accommodates for this.  Preferably the league would switch to having a ratio of international players for the american teams and a combination of national and international ratio for canadian teams.  The other option is to require american teams to have 7 starters from local colleges which would drastically reduce their competitive advantage.   You can't have a situation where Canadian teams have a requirement that lowers their competitiveness while American teams can just fill their rosters with the best available players from anywhere. 

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The ratio can't exist with US teams. That doesn't mean that Canadians can't play in the US, it just means that x number of jobs won't be given to Canadians, they will be given to the best available players.

Those who are saying that removal of the Canadian ratio means losing a lot of fans are wrong IMO. Some folks will stop watching for a game or two. Some will stop watching forever, but not many. Most will complain then watch anyway. I'm old enough to remember the US expansion. I was mighty pissed that the US teams didn't have the ratio. I still watched every game and went to the Grey Cups each year.

When baseball had its strike, I stopped watching baseball and haven't ever gone back. When the Jets left Winnipeg, I stopped watching hockey and never went back, except for a few playoff games a year and the Olympics.

I don't have cable any more. I have an android box that puts out 4K to HDMI. Add in a HD antenna and TSN's streaming during CFL/NFL season and I've got everything I had with cable for $20 a month. (FTR:My Internet is $60/month @300) My ROI was less than 2 months.

The part i don't understand is why people keep saying you couldn't have some sort of ratio for XFL teams. The NFL is allowed to reward teams with extra practice roster spots for international players.  So what you could do is give XFL teams a roster of like 21 players and an additional 20 roster spots can be awarded if they are international players.  What am i missing?

Just now, Colin Unger said:

Im assuming that there will be some sort of a ratio that accommodates for this.  Preferably the league would switch to having a ratio of international players for the american teams and a combination of national and international ratio for canadian teams.  The other option is to require american teams to have 7 starters from local colleges which would drastically reduce their competitive advantage.   You can't have a situation where Canadian teams have a requirement that lowers their competitiveness while American teams can just fill their rosters with the best available players from anywhere. 

Yeah the Canadian Ratio won't work...but a Ratio of some kind absolutely could. I don't think the Global players one would as that is basically the same as a Canadian one...it doesn't avoid the issue of taking away "american jobs". So a local college/state etc makes the most sense.

4 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Like has been mentioned the Ratio doesn't have to be "canadian".

But also, I really should cancel my cable. That's crazy cheap compared to what I'm paying to watch like 3 channels.

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

I agree, many fans such as myself watch the CFL for it's Canadian players.  The CFL draft is one of my favourite parts of football season.  Canadian teams kept the ratio, during the U.S expansion and should if this is a merger.  I highly doubt this is a merger, more of a partnership.

The CFL is accessible. I can go buy a car from Harris or get financial advice from Bighill. My son could throw the ball with Nichols. I can see Bryant at Costco. I can get a job with Millers help. I love Shawarma Khan's. 

I get that some of this won't change. The economics of the league will mean that the players will need to maintain other jobs, other businesses, etc. 

But, the fact that Harris was Pirate and Demksi was a Raider (🤢) means something to me. I love when we sign locals. I hope it means something to my kids.

So, while I agree with most of what's been said recently in this thread, I wanted to just say that I think there'll still be a level of interest in regional rivalries. So regardless of what rules, and the ratio and all of that......it'd still be Winnipeg playing Regina playing Calgary playing Edmonton........so there will always be a passion for the "local sports team", regardless of all the extraneous stuff. That's something that I've thought long and hard about this week. The thing that makes the CFL special to me, is it's my home province playing against other provinces and that's probably what I cheer for the most. And nothing, regardless of rule changes or whatever, is going to change in that regard. They're not taking away the Bombers. 

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

How many fans are going to watch a league with American rules and mainly American players when they can watch the NFL?

A summer-fall league would not be directly competing with the NFL. The CFL game is faster and more entertaining. The NFL is so boring despite all the hype and glitz that I do not watch even the "super bowl". It will take time for a new league to become accepted, particularly if they use CFL rules, but it ought to be doable.