Jump to content

Random Hockey News


FrostyWinnipeg
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, JCon said:

No chance. This is a legit elite centre. Until this past year, he was favoured to take one of the 4 centre positions with Team Canada. It's only been since his hit last year in the playoffs that he's not been the same. 

Not according to the media who are now coming out of the woodwork. Fingers are pointing back to the 2019 season, not just last year. 

But accepting your argument, if he is elite, why are we looking to get rid of him then? If he is so flawed defensively, suffering psychologically from his suspension, and bad in the room (which I suspect is the argument) who is paying that price and mortgaging a good chunk of their future for a guy who could be gone in 2 years, especially a team on a re-build? And don’t forget that the Jets are trading from a point of weakness if they are the ones pushing for a trade to happen because of the unrest. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TrueBlue4ever said:

Not according to the media who are now coming out of the woodwork. Fingers are pointing back to the 2019 season, not just last year. 

But accepting your argument, if he is elite, why are we looking to get rid of him then? If he is so flawed defensively, suffering psychologically from his suspension, and bad in the room (which I suspect is the argument) who is paying that price and mortgaging a good chunk of their future for a guy who could be gone in 2 years, especially a team on a re-build? And don’t forget that the Jets are trading from a point of weakness if they are the ones pushing for a trade to happen because of the unrest. 

Players need change sometimes. It's not weakness because they don't have to trade him. 

Eichel got traded. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

Players need change sometimes. It's not weakness because they don't have to trade him. 

Eichel got traded. 

And even Eichel’s trade was a lottery protected pick so that they couldn’t get anything higher than top 10. Bottom line, I don’t see Jersey giving up a #2 overall and a centreman coming off a 40+ point rookie season for Scheifele and nothing else, as was proposed. Seems too high. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

And even Eichel’s trade was a lottery protected pick so that they couldn’t get anything higher than top 10. Bottom line, I don’t see Jersey giving up a #2 overall and a centreman coming off a 40+ point rookie season for Scheifele and nothing else, as was proposed. Seems too high. 

I guess it depends on the needs of the team and their cap situation. Scheif is on a very favourable contract. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, JCon said:

I guess it depends on the needs of the team and their cap situation. Scheif is on a very favourable contract. 

Yes he is for sure, which is why the Jets should be wary about moving him given his production, even if the fan base has soured on him. If he does go, I would think the teams most interested are the ones still in the championship window mode, not a re-building team that could lose him to free agency in 2 seasons. A team like Boston who have a good core but would happily take a strong centre to add to it and potentially push them over the top. Or a Vegas who need a better contract with their cap issues, but I don’t see the Jets taking in more salary in a player-for-player return, which is what Vegas would offer. Maybe if the Jets did a sign and trade deal so the new club had security beyond 2023-24 it could happen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

How are the Warriors getting away with that logo? 🤔

They already have, at least partially.  Last night they were wearing a jersey that had a Manitoba Moose knock-off logo.  I'm not aware if the old one has been mothballed entirely or not.  The old one still seems to be front & center on the WHL site.

 

Edited by Tony Fresco
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Rich said:

 

So does Trotz pull a WInnipegger and take Vegas over Winnipeg? 😂

Vegas fires their coaches and Fergi did in the 80s. 
 

Also on the Trotz watch is Dallas. Bowness contract up.

Least Vancouver off the Trotz watch for 50 games 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Vegas is Manitoba South. You know Kelly McCrimmon wants Trotzy and they'll have the highest bid. It's gonna come down to where he wants to be. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

$6M? That's a lot of Jet Dogs. 

I actually like it when head coaches are compensated more than (most of) the players.

I don't know why exactly but it has always been weird to me when players get paid way more than the Head Coach. I get why because it's a business, it's entertainment and you're paying for the on-ice talent but still fells weird. Employee making way more than the person they 'report' to sort of thing. I've wondered now and then if it affects the working relationship at this level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I actually like it when head coaches are compensated more than (most of) the players.

I don't know why exactly but it has always been weird to me when players get paid way more than the Head Coach. I get why because it's a business, it's entertainment and you're paying for the on-ice talent but still fells weird. Employee making way more than the person they 'report' to sort of thing. I've wondered now and then if it affects the working relationship at this level.

Sir Alex Ferguson had in his managers agreement that he got paid at the same level as the highest earner on the team. But, he could demand that in his contract negotiations. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I actually like it when head coaches are compensated more than (most of) the players.

I don't know why exactly but it has always been weird to me when players get paid way more than the Head Coach. I get why because it's a business, it's entertainment and you're paying for the on-ice talent but still fells weird. Employee making way more than the person they 'report' to sort of thing. I've wondered now and then if it affects the working relationship at this level.

it's because the players are putting their lives on the line every time they go on the ice. One hit, one tumble into the boards, could be the end of their career (and, in extreme circumstances, their life...) It's that risk that elevates their pay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Noeller said:

it's because the players are putting their lives on the line every time they go on the ice. One hit, one tumble into the boards, could be the end of their career (and, in extreme circumstances, their life...) It's that risk that elevates their pay.

By that logic, the lowest paid player would always make more than the best paid coach. It’s got nothing to do with risk, the players are the faces that sell the game. People pay to watch Connor McDavid do magical things on the ice, not watch the brilliant coaching moves of Darryl Sutter behind the bench. Kids clamour for player autographs, not coach’s.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...