Covid-19

JCon

3 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I thought after Xmas be a good time for a good ole fashion lock down/quarantine/martial law enforcement but with the vaccine rolling out I suppose gov't just be like you're on your own - if you have not learned by now...

We're still under Code Red, with very few exceptions. The vaccine won't really come into play until later next summer, when the majority of Manitobans have it. I heard 50% of Manitobans will be vaccinated by the end of May. That's not a lot and certainly not enough to have open doors. 

7 minutes ago, JCon said:

We're still under Code Red, with very few exceptions. The vaccine won't really come into play until later next summer, when the majority of Manitobans have it. I heard 50% of Manitobans will be vaccinated by the end of May. That's not a lot and certainly not enough to have open doors. 

it's more than I was expecting by that time, tbh. I didn't think we'd have enough for gen pop until maybe fall time. I'm honestly only really concerned about my mother in law, who has MS and requires round the clock care in a LTCH. She has basically no immune system and is super-high-risk. As long as she gets the vaccine ASAP, that's my only real concern...

30 minutes ago, Noeller said:

it's more than I was expecting by that time, tbh. I didn't think we'd have enough for gen pop until maybe fall time. I'm honestly only really concerned about my mother in law, who has MS and requires round the clock care in a LTCH. She has basically no immune system and is super-high-risk. As long as she gets the vaccine ASAP, that's my only real concern...

I will feel a lot better when those most vulnerable, like your MIL and my grandmother, have the vaccine. Healthcare workers, Indigenous and remote communities, the elderly and those with compromised immune systems are all high priorities to me. Get them vaccinated and that will make my 2021! Bonus when gen-pop gets vaccinated too! 

34 minutes ago, JCon said:

I will feel a lot better when those most vulnerable, like your MIL and my grandmother, have the vaccine. Healthcare workers, Indigenous and remote communities, the elderly and those with compromised immune systems are all high priorities to me. Get them vaccinated and that will make my 2021! Bonus when gen-pop gets vaccinated too! 

100% agreement...

The Moderna vaccine being the approved by health Canada will speed things up a bit especially in rural areas and the North, in the New Year hopefully we will see a few more vaccines hit the market leading to vaccinations being more readily available to the general public, in the meantime lets get the health professionals and front line works vaccinated as quick as possible and then get to work on the elderly and compromised.

9 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

No need to pile on. They came and shared their points of view and what they believed to be best. It's always good to ask questions and challenge the status quo. 

I was just as surprised and it was good- it made me question my beliefs on what to do and made me be critical of what we being told.  It's a good thing. I don't blame them for not surfacing, going to be a lot of "the **** were you thinking.... see", "such a stupid model to follow" and "how would you even consider that" thrown their way. I am going to try and be more civil if they come up in these threads again.

Not piling on but there were some very heated discussions here with Sweden always at or near the center of the arguments. A couple of members who supported Sweden at the time were banned because their arguments were unceasing. Now, it's been shown it was a mistake. Anyone notice MIke Pence & his wife got their Covid vaccine shot today. How would you feel about that if you lost a loved one in the US because of the inaction of the Covid Commission or whatever the Hell it was called that Pence was in charge of?? Over 300,000 people have died in the US.  Pence didn't take it seriously wearing  no mask or social distancing & he suddenly jumps to the front of the line ahead of health care workers & vulnerable seniors. What a joke. There HAS to be criminal investigations that will take place once Biden takes power. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

58 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Not piling on but there were some very heated discussions here with Sweden always at or near the center of the arguments. A couple of members who supported Sweden at the time were banned because their arguments were unceasing. Now, it's been shown it was a mistake. Anyone notice MIke Pence & his wife got their Covid vaccine shot today. How would you feel about that if you lost a loved one in the US because of the inaction of the Covid Commission or whatever the Hell it was called that Pence was in charge of?? Over 300,000 people have died in the US.  Pence didn't take it seriously wearing  no mask or social distancing & he suddenly jumps to the front of the line ahead of health care workers & vulnerable seniors. What a joke. There HAS to be criminal investigations that will take place once Biden takes power. 

As an interesting sideline, CNN reported that if the US relied completely on herd immunity, it would mean about 11,500,000 deaths to create that. And I have little doubt that Trump would be OK with that.

Christmas Rules Tightened In England As New Lockdown Introduced.  U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson announces stricter lockdown rules for England amid fears over new variant of coronavirus.
By Ned Simons, HuffPost US

Boris Johnson has announced strict coronavirus restrictions for England over Christmas, with London, the South-East and East also placed under a new tier 4.

It comes amid fears a new variant of COVID-19 is spreading more rapidly across parts of the country.

Speaking at a Downing Street press conference on Saturday, the prime minister said the variant could be “up to 70% more transmissible” than the original variant.

Christmas Rules Tightened In England As New Lockdown Introduced | HuffPost Canada (huffingtonpost.ca)

'Baffling': Trump administration reportedly slashes vaccine shipments while millions sit on shelves

Officials from more than a dozen states say the Trump administration has informed them that next week's Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine allotments to their jurisdictions are being substantially reduced, prompting confusion and outrage. The development comes even as Pfizer insists that it has millions of doses ready to ship if given instructions by the federal government.

Coronavirus inoculation in the U.S. began Monday as the country's pandemic death toll surpassed 300,000. Hundreds of thousands of people—mostly frontline healthcare workers and nursing home residents whom the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) agreed to prioritize—have already received their first dose of the vaccine.

But Washington Gov. Jay Inslee (D) tweeted Thursday that the CDC "has informed us that [Washington's] vaccine allocation will be cut by 40% next week—and that all states are seeing similar cuts."

"This is disruptive and frustrating," Inslee added. "We need accurate, predictable numbers to plan and ensure on-the-ground success. No explanation was given."

The Associated Press reported Friday that "California, where an explosion in cases is straining intensive care units to the breaking point, will receive 160,000 fewer vaccine doses than state officials had anticipated next week—a roughly 40% reduction."

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R) said his state was also told it would receive a smaller shipment than expected, The Hill reported Thursday. In addition, Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker (D) on Wednesday said he "anticipates about half as many doses as was originally promised."

Other affected states, AP reported, include Connecticut, Georgia, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, and New Hampshire.

Adding to the chorus of governors expressing concern was Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R), who said Wednesday that "new shipments were 'on hold,' and that if they arrive, he is anticipating fewer doses than he was previously told," The Hill reported. But unlike his colleagues in other states, DeSantis blamed unspecified "production issues."

Pfizer on Thursday denied that underproduction is the cause of diminished vaccine distributions, instead assigning fault to the lack of direction provided by the Trump administration.

In a statement, the company said that it "successfully shipped all 2.9 million doses that we were asked to ship by the U.S. government to the locations specified by them.

Trudeau: Canada's Vaccine Rollout Is Ahead Of Schedule And More Doses ComingFederal officials say they're pushing for quicker shipments of COVID-19 vaccines.
-Canadian Press

Federal officials say they’re pushing manufacturers to accelerate shipments of more COVID-19 vaccine doses as calls grow to lock down more parts of the country for the holidays.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Canada is running ahead of schedule in its vaccine rollout, which is set to ramp up next month with scheduled deliveries of 125,000 Pfizer-BioNTech doses per week, for a total of 500,000 doses in January.

Trudeau told reporters that 200,000 doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine will arrive next week. And pending Health Canada approval, he said 168,000 doses of Moderna’s vaccine candidate will be shipped by the end of the year.

The federal government is also investing about $9 million through the National Research Council of Canada to support the development of treatments for COVID-19 and other viral infections, Trudeau said. The funding will go to four Canadian companies working on therapies, including two in Montreal and two in Vancouver.

3 ‘External’ Experts Who Worked On Revera Report Have Ties To Company

THE CANADIAN PRESS 
Three of the “independent experts” long-term care home operator Revera chose to contribute to its recently released pandemic report have prior ties to the company, raising questions from advocates and family who say the report is unobjective and doesn’t reflect what has really been happening in the company’s homes during the pandemic.

The report, written by a panel tasked by Revera with examining the impact of the first wave of COVID-19 on the company’s residents and staff, said there was a “series of systemic breakdowns that allowed the virus to flourish in long term care,” including a sector-wide shortage of personal protective equipment and a “woeful lack” of laboratory testing.

It also found there were “mixed messages” and inconsistent information about infection prevention and resident cohorting from government ministries, public health units, hospitals and other bodies involved during the pandemic’s first wave.

It does not mention, however, the affiliations Revera has with three of the experts on the panel, whom the company says “contributed their advice and recommendations on a voluntary basis.” 

The report does acknowledge the 266 deaths related to COVID-19 in the company’s homes across the country in the first wave of the pandemic. To date, 279 more people have died in Revera’s Canadian homes in the second wave — since Sept. 1, 2020 — according to the company’s media releases.

Revera currently faces multiple proposed class action lawsuits, one of which alleges the company was “systemically negligent” during the pandemic. 

(I think that this report was commissioned by the Ontario government)