Covid-19

JCon

16 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Seems like a bit of an OK boomer type of moment for him. It's just a bad look, IMO. 

The virus wasn't "made" by "greedy bastards" and going vegan won't magically eliminate the spread of viruses. Also, research is ongoing as to exactly how the virus originated. While I don't think it's necessarily racist what he posted (to be clear, it's not my place to determine whether or not it is), it's still extremely ignorant, inflammatory, and irresponsible.

His post accomplished nothing of value.

His post is racial if not racist.  He focused his attention on Chinese wet markets which we all agree suck.   But the Chinese have had no control over how Trump has bungled the US response, other than perhaps Trump's debts to China causing him to be as soft as he could early on and pretending it wasnt happening.  Now he's full on blaming China because it's either China's fault or his fault.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

His post is racial if not racist.  He focused his attention on Chinese wet markets which we all agree suck.   But the Chinese have had no control over how Trump has bungled the US response, other than perhaps Trump's debts to China causing him to be as soft as he could early on and pretending it wasnt happening.  Now he's full on blaming China because it's either China's fault or his fault.

It's pretty evident that this virus could have originated anywhere and Trump would have screwed it up in much the same way.  Along with ignoring the Pandemic playbook that the Obama administration handed to them and shutting down the Pandemic response team, the ignored factor is that Trump deeply cut the State Department which also could have provided valuable information through diplomatic channels.

1 minute ago, Wideleft said:

It's pretty evident that this virus could have originated anywhere and Trump would have screwed it up in much the same way.  Along with ignoring the Pandemic playbook that the Obama administration handed to them and shutting down the Pandemic response team, the ignored factor is that Trump deeply cut the State Department which also could have provided valuable information through diplomatic channels.

Trump is loving lying to America about there being no pandemic response left by Obama (which, if true, doesnt explain why his admin wouldnt create one), but just wait til Obama gets into the game.

16 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Trump is loving lying to America about there being no pandemic response left by Obama (which, if true, doesnt explain why his admin wouldnt create one), but just wait til Obama gets into the game.

“I had met, myself, with my successor, General Michael Flynn, on four occasions over 12 hours. I handed off over 100 briefing papers to him and shared with him the issues I thought were most salient and most important for him to grasp. Among them, the risk that we would face another pandemic,” Rice recounted. “The reality is, Jonathan, anybody who knows national security, anybody who knows global health, knows development issues, understood that we were not only inevitably going to face another global pandemic, but in fact, that the world was overdue.”

Rice said that the Obama administration’s experience with swine flu in 2009 followed by Ebola in 2014 and Zika in 2016 proved that “pandemic preparedness needed to be a top national security priority.” It was of such concern that Rice and her colleagues included a scenario on pandemic preparedness in a tabletop exercise with the incoming Trump team. Rice also said, “We left behind a 69-page playbook, which was sort of ‘Pandemic for Dummies.’ If you don’t know where to start, start here, and ask these questions and do these things.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/06/susan-rice-trumps-coronavirus-response-he-has-cost-tens-thousands-american-lives/

3 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

“I had met, myself, with my successor, General Michael Flynn, on four occasions over 12 hours. I handed off over 100 briefing papers to him and shared with him the issues I thought were most salient and most important for him to grasp. Among them, the risk that we would face another pandemic,” Rice recounted. “The reality is, Jonathan, anybody who knows national security, anybody who knows global health, knows development issues, understood that we were not only inevitably going to face another global pandemic, but in fact, that the world was overdue.”

Rice said that the Obama administration’s experience with swine flu in 2009 followed by Ebola in 2014 and Zika in 2016 proved that “pandemic preparedness needed to be a top national security priority.” It was of such concern that Rice and her colleagues included a scenario on pandemic preparedness in a tabletop exercise with the incoming Trump team. Rice also said, “We left behind a 69-page playbook, which was sort of ‘Pandemic for Dummies.’ If you don’t know where to start, start here, and ask these questions and do these things.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/06/susan-rice-trumps-coronavirus-response-he-has-cost-tens-thousands-american-lives/

Dems need to make sure every single American is aware of this especially with Obama's VP running.  We left them a plan. They threw it out.  Blood is on their hands.  

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

That would be ignoring all the dog whistles.   "SJW" is a construct invented by right wing talking heads to minimize what their critics are saying, so I don't buy that.  If people are too stupid to realize what they're saying is going to cause a backlash, I have no sympathy.  If people think that they can say whatever they want in front of whoever they want without potentially getting challenged, boo f'ing hoo.  

When people like Ezra Levant and Ben Shapiro make their living off of doublespeak, dog whistles and gaslighting, sometimes you have to use your brain and see that there is more to their plainly written words than meets the eye.

yes it's a construct that is effective because of people who want to label everything they don't like as some kind of ism. Just gives the right an out to ignore all concerns. 

I am telling you, if you focus your energy on the very obvious and blatant stuff you do more to change people than by trying to paint everything as awful. 

I really don't see the racism in a tirade about wet markets. That this started in China doesn't mean it's racist to think those practises are bad. 

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Dems need to make sure every single American is aware of this especially with Obama's VP running.  We left them a plan. They threw it out.  Blood is on their hands.  

they need to get the quotes about the disbanding of it front and centre too. The whole thing about you can bring these people on quickly when you need them. 

For anyone with more than a couple brain cells to rub together you understand that being prepared isn't something you do after a problem hits. 

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

pigseye doesn't share personal thoughts on this discussion board. Only neutral facts and commitment to fair treatment across left, right and middle spectrums.

and by fair treatment you of course mean ignoring anything shitty someone on the right does and drumming up support for lynching people on the left for minor or imagined offenses. 

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

yes it's a construct that is effective because of people who want to label everything they don't like as some kind of ism. Just gives the right an out to ignore all concerns. 

I am telling you, if you focus your energy on the very obvious and blatant stuff you do more to change people than by trying to paint everything as awful. 

I really don't see the racism in a tirade about wet markets. That this started in China doesn't mean it's racist to think those practises are bad. 

When the right stops thinking antifascists are just as bad as fascists, I'll give this take a second look.

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

That would be ignoring all the dog whistles.   "SJW" is a construct invented by right wing talking heads to minimize what their critics are saying, so I don't buy that.  If people are too stupid to realize what they're saying is going to cause a backlash, I have no sympathy.  If people think that they can say whatever they want in front of whoever they want without potentially getting challenged, boo f'ing hoo.  

When people like Ezra Levant and Ben Shapiro make their living off of doublespeak, dog whistles and gaslighting, sometimes you have to use your brain and see that there is more to their plainly written words than meets the eye.

Levant and Shapiro make a very good living out of milking the gullibility of their right-wing followers who treat every utterance of theirs as gospel. Its a lot like the Sun newspapers- in the west they wail about any perceived favours given to  Quebec while in Quebec, the Sun complains about western Canada's influence in Ottawa. There are seemingly a lot of people who need to have their identities as victims confirmed endlessly and are willing to pay for it.

4 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

When the right stops thinking antifascists are just as bad as fascists, I'll give this take a second look.

The way to get people to stop holding ignorant views isn't to try and shout them down, it's to question them on their beliefs and don't let them give non answers. Why do you believe this? Provide rational and proof for your claims. 

One of two things will happen. They will either develop some self awareness and repent their sinner ways, or they'll just shut up about it. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

The way to get people to stop holding ignorant views isn't to try and shout them down, it's to question them on their beliefs and don't let them give non answers. Why do you believe this? Provide rational and proof for your claims. 

One of two things will happen. They will either develop some self awareness and repent their sinner ways, or they'll just shut up about it. 

So you've learned nothing from your discussions with Pigseye, then?  

Just now, 17to85 said:

Wingnuts say hi.

Trump is badly botching the virus. New polls show Americans know it.

May 12, 2020 at 9:03 a.m. CDT

In what should be seen as a rebuke of President Trump, Anthony S. Fauci will tell a Senate panel on Tuesday that reopening the country too quickly risks causing “multiple outbreaks” of coronavirus, resulting in “needless suffering and death.”

Majorities of the American people appear to agree with Trump’s most prominent coronavirus task force member. Indeed, two new polls strongly suggest Trump has lost the argument over how to respond to the virus right now on just about every level.

new Post-Ipsos poll finds that 56 percent of Americans disapprove of Trump’s handling of the coronavirus, while only 43 percent approve. By contrast, 71 percent approve of their governor’s handling of the disease.

Tellingly, this also applies to specific swing-state governors in Trump’s crosshairs. He has raged that Gov. Gretchen Whitmer must “LIBERATE” Michigan, and has fumed that people in Pennsylvania “want their freedom now.”

But in Michigan, approval of the governor’s handling of the virus is 72 percent, while Trump’s is 39 percent. In Pennsylvania, those numbers are 72 percent and 45 percent, respectively.

Another finding from the poll confirms even more clearly how badly Trump has lost the argument: It finds that an astonishing 57 percent of Americans say Trump is not doing enough to ensure that people can return to work safely. By contrast, only 42 percent say he’s doing enough.

By contrast, 69 percent say their governors are doing enough to ensure that people can return to work safely. And 56 percent say their state governors are handling the pace of lifting restrictions “about right,” while only 16 percent say they’re not lifting them quickly enough.

And 74 percent agree with the view that the United States should keep trying to slow the coronavirus even if it means keeping many businesses closed. Only 25 percent take the opposite view — Trump’s view.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/05/12/trump-is-failing-disastrously-americans-know-it-new-polls-show/

10 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Actually, it's all of that. An ignorant opinion should be both shouted down and questioned. With the information we have our disposal these days, literally at our very fingertips, there should be no place for ignorance in the world. Decrying those who continue to hold ignorant views, especially those who do so willingly, is more or less a social responsibility. If we as a society hope to advance the virtues of social equality while simultaneously destroying systemic inequality, the voices of reason have to drown out the voices of ignorance.

Case in point being this whole pandemic with those who spew falsehoods, misinformation, and conspiracy theorist hyperbole. There is no place for that ****.

Edited by blue_gold_84

2 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Case in point being this whole pandemic with those who spew falsehoods, misinformation, and conspiracy theorist hyperbole. There is no place for that ****.

Well, certain media outlets just can't help themselves.    Nor can the current President of the United States.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

They are called 'thought crimes' and it is all the rage.