Covid-19

JCon

35 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

OK so he's an ignorant jackass, but what am I missing that makes it inherently racist? Is that not he prevailing theory on how this virus jumped from bats to humans? 

How is what he wrote racist?  Is he racist against bats?   

This generation of people are really stretching things to scream racism and to create something out of nothing.  

11 minutes ago, Brandon said:

This generation of people are really stretching things to scream racism and to create something out of nothing.  

It doesn't seem to me that a specific generation is condemning his comments.  If you can back that up, I'd be grateful.

You see how easy it is just to say something without really thinking about what you're saying?

25 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I mean, compare the two statements:

"thanks to some f--king bat"

"thanks to some f--king bat eating, wet market animal selling, virus making greedy bastards"

Hint: the bat is not the subject in the second version. Had he posted the first one, this is a non-issue.

Edited by Super Duper Negatron

53 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

OK so he's an ignorant jackass, but what am I missing that makes it inherently racist? Is that not he prevailing theory on how this virus jumped from bats to humans? 

This is where people start putting on their "lawyerin'" hats to figure out what his intent was when all they have is the words he wrote.  In isolation, it appears to be an uninformed (because we actually still don't know the source) rant to complain about lost earnings and to further his support for veganism.

The problem is that this didn't occur in isolation.  Given the anti-Asian backlash in North America since COVID-19 graced us with its presence and the increase in overt racism since 2016, it has all the appearance of a dog whistle (rightly or wrongly).  

Adams has the right to tweet, but people are thankfully getting more intolerant of intolerance and he shouldn't think there won't be an equal and opposite response for a tweet with that tone.

25 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

I mean, compare the two statements:

"thanks to some f--king bat"

"thanks to some f--king bat eating, wet market animal selling, virus making greedy bastards"

Hint: the bat is not the subject in the second version. Had he posted the first one, this is a non-issue.

Lol but if I had no idea about this situation how would I associate the 2nd one with asians?   Nothing racist at all with his comment.  People eating weird f'd up animals which carry diseases is not a race.  

People are creating something out of nothing... creating racism out of nothing.  This generation wants to create trouble (for whatever reason).  

10 minutes ago, Brandon said:

This generation wants to create trouble (for whatever reason).  

I always see this, and think, "or is it that the generation previous (of which I'm a member) just wants to be able to say whatever they want about whomever they want, and have zero repercussions...?"

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I always see this, and think, "or is it that the generation previous (of which I'm a member) just wants to be able to say whatever they want about whomever they want, and have zero repercussions...?"

And I still don't know which generation is the one he's referencing.  I'm too old to play on his lawn.

One really has to wonder about all this money being sent out.  For those in dire straits, $500 is not enough.  For those that don't need it, it's just extra pocket change.  It would be really nice if they could do better than a 'one size fits all' approach.

7 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

And I still don't know which generation is the one he's referencing.  I'm too old to play on his lawn.

Snowflake generation,   you never read stories like this in the past where people twist anything to make people look like villains.   People have waaaaaaaaay to thin of a skin these days.   

Only a racist would find what Bryan Adams said as racist.   

The guy called out idiots that harvested disease infested bats to eat them....  nothing wrong at all with what he said.   If this happened in Germany he would of said the same damn thing.   Absolute morons who get mad over things like this.  

Crap like this takes away from real racism that happens in the world.  

8 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

One really has to wonder about all this money being sent out.  For those in dire straits, $500 is not enough.  For those that don't need it, it's just extra pocket change.  It would be really nice if they could do better than a 'one size fits all' approach.

My senior neighbours with their half million dollar homes paid off will enjoy this extra money =\  

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

Snowflake generation,   you never read stories like this in the past where people twist anything to make people look like villains.   People have waaaaaaaaay to thin of a skin these days.   

Only a racist would find what Bryan Adams said as racist.   

The guy called out idiots that harvested disease infested bats to eat them....  nothing wrong at all with what he said.   If this happened in Germany he would of said the same damn thing.   Absolute morons who get mad over things like this.  

Crap like this takes away from real racism that happens in the world.  

And it's not the first time, SARS, MERS, all the same thing. About time someone spoke about these practices that endanger the rest of the world. Second hand smoke has been banned for just this reason, time to ban this too. 

48 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

This is where people start putting on their "lawyerin'" hats to figure out what his intent was when all they have is the words he wrote.  In isolation, it appears to be an uninformed (because we actually still don't know the source) rant to complain about lost earnings and to further his support for veganism.

The problem is that this didn't occur in isolation.  Given the anti-Asian backlash in North America since COVID-19 graced us with its presence and the increase in overt racism since 2016, it has all the appearance of a dog whistle (rightly or wrongly).  

Adams has the right to tweet, but people are thankfully getting more intolerant of intolerance and he shouldn't think there won't be an equal and opposite response for a tweet with that tone.

I still think it's bullshit to cry racism on a hunch that it might be racist. 

Too many people these days want everything to be some kind of -ism. Sometimes there's nothing sinister involved other than a comment about one theory for the origins of the disease. That it happened to be in China does not mean any one making a comment on it is being racist. 

Outrage culture is just the worst thing to happen to this world. 

11 minutes ago, Brandon said:

My senior neighbours with their half million dollar homes paid off will enjoy this extra money =\  

If they have that kind of money, it will just get lost in the shuffle when they deposit the cheque, won't make a bloody bit of difference to their finances. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

I still think it's bullshit to cry racism on a hunch that it might be racist. 

Too many people these days want everything to be some kind of -ism. Sometimes there's nothing sinister involved other than a comment about one theory for the origins of the disease. That it happened to be in China does not mean any one making a comment on it is being racist. 

Outrage culture is just the worst thing to happen to this world. 

I'd much rather society be sensitive to these issues than to let them slide until it gets even worse than it is now.  

Do you think the Deep South or Southern Alberta just evolved to be more racist or is it because the voices that challenged "leadership" weren't given a voice?

1 minute ago, Wideleft said:

I'd much rather society be sensitive to these issues than to let them slide until it gets even worse than it is now.  

Do you think the Deep South or Southern Alberta just evolved to be more racist or is it because the voices that challenged "leadership" weren't given a voice?

That's crap, that just makes people resent SJWs. 

Here's what you do: You call out the actualy garbage and stop treating things that aren't really that bad as that bad. 

Don't invent things that aren't there, attack what is actually there. It's more effective and less divisive. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

People can't change?  

Huh? I answered this.  I think if you abuse women and assault cabbies it’s possible you learn from your mistakes and become a better person. When years later you claim you’ve changed while trying to intimidate the victim and lying about what happened it proves you haven’t changed at all. 

not to mention his embarrassing stint as leader.  We’re rapidly approaching a time when there is no one to vote for. 

4 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

If they have that kind of money, it will just get lost in the shuffle when they deposit the cheque, won't make a bloody bit of difference to their finances. 

I just feel bad for the seniors with no family and no pension and no help....  I'd rather they get double or triple.  Those extra cab fares really add up since they are so limited with what and how much they can transport.  

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Huh? I answered this.  I think if you abuse women and assault cabbies it’s possible you learn from your mistakes and become a better person. When years later you claim you’ve changed while trying to intimidate the victim and lying about what happened it proves you haven’t changed at all. 

not to mention his embarrassing stint as leader.  We’re rapidly approaching a time when there is no one to vote for. 

I'm not disagreeing at all, just curious on your stance.   

Sadly it seems like every election at every level it's always "Vote for the least incompetent".   

I feel like you can pull any average person off the street and they'd be better at doing the jobs =\  

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I just feel bad for the seniors with no family and no pension and no help....  I'd rather they get double or triple.  Those extra cab fares really add up since they are so limited with what and how much they can transport.  

There are certainly seniors suffering. But they could have provided for seniors Wirh low income quite easily rather than  a universal benefit.  

But it wouldn’t have bothered me if they weren’t also heartlessly laying off hydro workers to save a fraction of the money.  That’s cruel and it’s clearly not covid related.  It’s all about forcing hydro to make cuts under the cover of a pandemic.

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

That's crap, that just makes people resent SJWs. 

Here's what you do: You call out the actualy garbage and stop treating things that aren't really that bad as that bad. 

Don't invent things that aren't there, attack what is actually there. It's more effective and less divisive. 

That would be ignoring all the dog whistles.   "SJW" is a construct invented by right wing talking heads to minimize what their critics are saying, so I don't buy that.  If people are too stupid to realize what they're saying is going to cause a backlash, I have no sympathy.  If people think that they can say whatever they want in front of whoever they want without potentially getting challenged, boo f'ing hoo.  

When people like Ezra Levant and Ben Shapiro make their living off of doublespeak, dog whistles and gaslighting, sometimes you have to use your brain and see that there is more to their plainly written words than meets the eye.

3 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

That...is really bad. What was he thinking?

Seems like a bit of an OK boomer type of moment for him. It's just a bad look, IMO. 

The virus wasn't "made" by "greedy bastards" and going vegan won't magically eliminate the spread of viruses. Also, research is ongoing as to exactly how the virus originated. While I don't think it's necessarily racist what he posted (to be clear, it's not my place to determine whether or not it is), it's still extremely ignorant, inflammatory, and irresponsible.

His post accomplished nothing of value.

Edited by blue_gold_84