Divisional All-Stars

TrueBlue4ever

So Andrew Harris got voted in as an all-star at running back. This would suggest that the media outside of Winnipeg would not have had the moral quandary of voting for him as outstanding player or Canadian that the 3 media members in the city did. curious if Wyman, Hamilton and Bauming did or did not vote for Harris for the all-star team. Not sure how they could given their prior position.  

12 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

So Andrew Harris got voted in as an all-star at running back. This would suggest that the media outside of Winnipeg would not have had the moral quandary of voting for him as outstanding player or Canadian that the 3 media members in the city did. curious if Wyman, Hamilton and Bauming did or did not vote for Harris for the all-star team. Not sure how they could given their prior position.  

Agreed.

I was positive that Andrew wouldn't get the all star vote. Curious if he can take the league all star as well, now. 

Edited by Jesse

4 hours ago, Jesse said:

Agreed.

I was positive that Andrew wouldn't get the all star vote. Curious if he can take the league all star as well, now. 

Players don't care about personal accolades....they always say it is about the team. ... so I am thinking the only thing Harris wants to wave in the medias face is the grey cup.......... 

From a guy who should know..a good read on why Rob Maver doesn’t like the current voting award system for punters...
“I would have voted for Justin Medlock for the West Division,” says Maver. “He was second or first in lowest opponent return, he was second in net (yardage), and I think first inside the ten (yard line). Not to take anything away from anybody else, but when I look at how I value the position and how I’ve strived to play it, those are the metrics that I value.”

https://3downnation.com/2019/11/08/stampeders-rob-maver-wants-all-star-voters-to-view-punting-differently/

3 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Just base it on stats.

No, that’s how this siht started. 
The vote, as is, doesn’t take into account the work that a professional like Medlock does in trying new kicking techniques, and drops, and angles, and spins to get the ball to bounce close to the 5 yard and bounce back towards the kicker. That’s no accident, it’s Medlock. 
And the cross field kicks inside the 20 yard line, inside the hash marks, is practice and technique. It’s not just kicking the siht out the ball and hoping. 
But who looks at these aspects really? Coaches for sure and ST guys, but not the voters. 

17 hours ago, JCon said:

No, thank-you. 

13 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

No, that’s how this siht started. 
The vote, as is, doesn’t take into account the work that a professional like Medlock does in trying new kicking techniques, and drops, and angles, and spins to get the ball to bounce close to the 5 yard and bounce back towards the kicker. That’s no accident, it’s Medlock. 
And the cross field kicks inside the 20 yard line, inside the hash marks, is practice and technique. It’s not just kicking the siht out the ball and hoping. 
But who looks at these aspects really? Coaches for sure and ST guys, but not the voters. 

Hey I totally hear you about taking other things into account when judging a players season.  But isn't that what cost Harris his nomination.  

3 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Hey I totally hear you about taking other things into account when judging a players season.  But isn't that what cost Harris his nomination.  

The reason they didn't vote for him was that they didn't vote for him.  It had nothing to do with stats or value to the team.  It was a personal decision.  You can't fix that except by removing their right to vote, or by making the rules crystal clear as to when someone becoming ineligible for consideration.

3 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

The reason they didn't vote for him was that they didn't vote for him.  It had nothing to do with stats or value to the team.  It was a personal decision.  You can't fix that except by removing their right to vote, or by making the rules crystal clear as to when someone becoming ineligible for consideration.

If it is 100% a fact they did it as a personal decision only......wouldn't that go against some kind journalistic code ?   And as fans is there not something we as a group could do to out these morally corrupt journalists ?

1 minute ago, NorthernSkunk said:

If it is 100% a fact they did it as a personal decision only......wouldn't that go against some kind journalistic code ?   And as fans is there not something we as a group could do to out these morally corrupt journalists ?

Try writing an sharply worded letter to the president of the internet.  That'll show them.

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

if you watch the games you can clearly see that medlock is the best directional punter out there. He puts that ball where he wants to all the time. very rare that he pooches one or just line drives it down the middle of the field. 

Just to shift things a bit: this is going to be HUGE tomorrow.  Medlock's punting skills and the team's success on returns vs. Calgary, are a couple of aces in the hole that no one has talked about very much.  

7 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Just to shift things a bit: this is going to be HUGE tomorrow.  Medlock's punting skills and the team's success on returns vs. Calgary, are a couple of aces in the hole that no one has talked about very much.  

I think special teams are the one area where we've clearly outclassed calgary in every game this year. 

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

if you watch the games you can clearly see that medlock is the best directional punter out there. He puts that ball where he wants to all the time. very rare that he pooches one or just line drives it down the middle of the field. 

IMO Medlock is the best all-around kicker in the CFL, bar none and possibly in the NFL as well.

For the past several seasons, I have been tracking punting numbers in different ways. I do this primarily by dividing the punts into two categories - Own Side of Centre & Opposition Side of Centre

I also track the net yardage of a punt from the line of scrimmage (LOS) on the punt play to the LOS on the next play. This helps adjust for the limitations of the CFL formula for net average. This season, the CFL started to track what it calls True Net which is very similar to my calculation.

When punting from your Own Side of Centre, the primary objective should be net yardage. Justin Medlock is middle of the road for gross average but he ranks 3rd in net average. Meanwhile, the western "all-star" Jon Ryan leads the league in gross average but ranks near the bottom in net average. As Hugh O'Neill noted in a reply to one of my tweets #GrossIsGross

y4mjnZwwYb9Vl8ZPwDRMEG8Wk0wvnfqelCxkDDc_

When punting from the Opposition Side of Centre, the focus is more on field position rather distance. I track the percentage of punts that pin the oppoistion inside the 20 yard line, the percentage of kicks that result in singles and net average (this is less important here). Justin Medlock ranks a close 2nd to Hugh O'Neill with 80% of his punts pinnings the opposition inside the 20. He is the only regular punter to not register a punt single from the opposition side of centre. Medlock also leads in net average from this range.

Jon Ryan is once again near the bottom in all these categories. Only 34.8 % of his punts pin the opposition inside the 20. A lot of this can be attributed to the fact that 39.1% of his punts went for singles. Partly due to the number of singles and partly due to coverage penalties, Ryan ranks near the bottom in net average as well.

y4mXeW-dcWsLzBBFYmv0uzNnJlHZslg006K8Lf1P

The final aspect of punting that I looked at was punting & coverage penalties. Once again, Justin Medlock is near the top with only 4.7% of his punts resulting in punt/coverage penalties. Jon Ryan ranks near the bottom again with 21.5% of his punts resulting in penalties.

y4mc1H53mqN8bR1AUimq2EqPESluMN7R7E1wMCB4

Edited by Stats Junkie