Coach's Show

Floyd

Burke pulls out 'Every rookie equals a loss' quote...!!!'

'For three years, we've been the youngest team in the league, at some point it catches up to you...'  Wow, everyone is piling on Mack.

Less blame for him and Creehan though... not sure about that.

Burke angling to keep his job...  I actually think Miller gives him another year after this one.

And, yeah, kind of sounds like Goltz is done

He's gone from supporting and endorsing all these players to completely throwing them under the bus in a desperate hail mary play to save his own job and it's disgusting. You want to save your job Tim? Then you'd better start getting these players ready to play the game. The players may suck, but the coaches are doing just as poor a job. We see bad teams at least play competitively more than this team has been under Burke. How many blowouts has he been the head coach for? How many games where there was just absolutely no believe that the team could even fluke their way back into a game? That reflects on the coaching far more than the players IMO. 

I listened to the coaches show. Before I did, I took comments in this thread that he indicated Goltz was finished (wish he was)  but he really never gave me that impression. We may see him again unfortunately & probably will. The comment he made when he singled out the center on the bad snap, wow... I know most head coaches would have said something else entirely different to not implicate either the qb or center. The guy is honest, I'll give him that. Compare Burke to that sleezeball Tillman. However, players want their coach to have their back. Saying it was the center's fault won't make him play better on Friday. So why say it? All he had to say was that it was a communications gaffe between the qb & center & both have it worked out now. That's all Burke had to say & that would have been fine. Hate to say this but at times it sounded like Bob was leading Burke  into saying things he knew could be misconstrued as inflammatory. Questions & comments he'd never do to Dave Ritchie, Cal Murphy or MIke Riley.

I didn't find the centre thing that bad though, he was asked who goofed and he explained it well. Not like he threw Sorenson under the bus either, he talked about how it's a different situation with a new OC and Sorenson just flashed back to the previous OC, that happens when things have been drilled into you for a couple years and suddenly it's changed. 

There were a lot of things he said that give a guy pause but that to me wasn't one of them. 

There comes a time when a coach and/or GM becomes so strongly associated with repeated losses and humiliations that the players simply give up and give up listening. Yes, they are supposed to be pros and play their hardest, but how do you get yourself up for a game when you know without a doubt that your team doesn't match up to any other team in the league and hasn't for years? This team doesn't seem to have any leadership from the players or the coaches, and there has to be a loss of respect for the coaches and the organization.

One of the most feared things in sports is the development of a losing culture.  One in which the players believe they are going to lose.  It's not easy to change once it is in effect... and it sure looks like that has happened here.

Firing Burke won't change anything at this point.  There's going to have to be a wholesale change of players and coaching staff this offseason.  Too much losing associated with the players here, even the good ones.  Everyone knows we need to rebuild but the sad thing is that the rebuild hasn't even begun yet and won't until the offseason.  Sure we have shuffled some players around, but it's really nothing but window dressing.  Marc Parenteau and Akeem Foster were never going to turn this team around.

Hopefully Walters or whoever becomes GM is ready to take on a big task, because it's not going to happen overnight.

I disagree that firing Burke won't change anything. Maybe not in the short term but getting a new head man in here for next year will do all kinds of good, especially when he brings in a new coaching staff. 

Burke preaches about jobs being on the line but never actually benches anyone when they play like crap, that's a big part of what leads to a losing culture. 

Remember when we gutted teams because we weren't good enough in the playoffs?  

I have to say as soon as MB can be promoted to head coach the better.  I like Burke but Joe Mack set him up for a major fall - probably have to purge everything in the off-season if we want to attract top FAs.