Coach's Show

Floyd

I disagree that firing Burke won't change anything. Maybe not in the short term but getting a new head man in here for next year will do all kinds of good, especially when he brings in a new coaching staff. 

Burke preaches about jobs being on the line but never actually benches anyone when they play like crap, that's a big part of what leads to a losing culture. 

If they can get Dickenson out of Calgary, I'd have Burke's office packed up while he was on the sidelines of the November 2nd game and have everything waiting by his car in the parking lot.

I disagree that firing Burke won't change anything. Maybe not in the short term but getting a new head man in here for next year will do all kinds of good, especially when he brings in a new coaching staff. 

Burke preaches about jobs being on the line but never actually benches anyone when they play like crap, that's a big part of what leads to a losing culture. 

If they can get Dickenson out of Calgary, I'd have Burke's office packed up while he was on the sidelines of the November 2nd game and have everything waiting by his car in the parking lot.

I'd give Dickenson a blank cheque and ask him to write in whatever number it took to get him here. 

I just mean firing him right now.  The season is a write-off, so let him wear all the stink until it's over.  I'm 100% in favour of firing him after the season.

Getting a very good head coach is so important. Look what Jim Harbaugh did in San Francisco in such a short time. Under Mike Singletary, the team  was accomplishing nothing.  But the culture changed when Harbaugh came in. So, a team's culture can change quickly. It all depends who is in charge.

Change also happened in no small part to the fact that SF had been stockpiling draft picks and had a glut of talent available to them in high rounds of the draft .. good drafting and good coaching .. got the most out of that roster.

Threatening to bench or cut someone who is playing poorly is pointless when that player looks at the PR and does not see someone capable of playing better than him. Making an empty threat is way worse than not saying anything at all. Sorry to say, as much as I am in favour of putting Burke out of our misery, I see no hope of him leaving before the end of the season.

In a perfect world, the GM would go to Burke and offer full HC pay for the rest of the season if he "resigns" and steps into his former job a defensive coordinator, either replacing Creehan or working beside him. Yeah. Like that is gonna happen.

Getting a very good head coach is so important. Look what Jim Harbaugh did in San Francisco in such a short time. Under Mike Singletary, the team  was accomplishing nothing.  But the culture changed when Harbaugh came in. So, a team's culture can change quickly. It all depends who is in charge.

Change also happened in no small part to the fact that SF had been stockpiling draft picks and had a glut of talent available to them in high rounds of the draft .. good drafting and good coaching .. got the most out of that roster.

Safe to say that Singletary would have alienated half the team & even with all the talent in the world the Niners would have failed. Hartbaugh came in & instilled a winning tradition right away. No excuses.

There are other people who supper buck but the way people get insulted on here for their opinions in not surprised they remain quiet.

Ultimately we're not going to keep Burke as DC.

supper buck? Auto-correct gone awry or where you hungry when you posted. Is it supposed to be support? 

I'd give Dickenson a blank cheque and ask him to write in whatever number it took to get him here. 

Awww, come on that is such a Riderfans kind of statement. 

After week 3 they had huge threads gushing about how they should break the bank and pay Cortez whatever the hell he wanted to stay as OC. Now they're saying he's an idiot. 

This team needs a GM first who can find players and hire a proper coaching staff. 

There are other people who supper buck but the way people get insulted on here for their opinions in not surprised they remain quiet.

Ultimately we're not going to keep Burke as DC.

supper buck? Auto-correct gone awry or where you hungry when you posted. Is it supposed to be support? 

Damn iPhone.  "Support Burke"... lol

From today's freep...

"You have to be consistent in the draft," said Burke. "You've got to say to yourself there's certain positions that it's easier to find Canadian players at. Offensive line is an example, so you just have to keep drafting every year at those positions and not try to draft a fullback or something like that.

"When you draft a lot of offensive linemen, you're not only drafting for your starters, you're drafting for your backups so that when that starter goes down you have a legitimately good backup. We haven't done that."

Wow, Burke slagging Mack again...   I wonder if anyone other than Mack actually had valid input into the draft.

From today's freep...

"You have to be consistent in the draft," said Burke. "You've got to say to yourself there's certain positions that it's easier to find Canadian players at. Offensive line is an example, so you just have to keep drafting every year at those positions and not try to draft a fullback or something like that.

"When you draft a lot of offensive linemen, you're not only drafting for your starters, you're drafting for your backups so that when that starter goes down you have a legitimately good backup. We haven't done that."

Wow, Burke slagging Mack again...   I wonder if anyone other than Mack actually had valid input into the draft.

People had input .. whether or not it was listened to is another matter entirely.

LOL.  Yeah in the CFL you can do that all right....Dickenson would write in a number, then Walters and Miller would look at it, say "We'll be right back" and you'd hear a door slam followed by squealing tire sounds al a the Simpsons.

From today's freep...

People had input .. whether or not it was listened to is another matter entirely.

I questioned why we didn't draft any o-linemen this year.  I was told there weren't any worth drafting.

From today's freep...

I questioned why we didn't draft any o-linemen this year.  I was told there weren't any worth drafting.

And whoever told you that was mostly right. The only "ready" OL in this class was Brett Jones and I remember plenty of people bringing up that he was a risk because of his interest in a non-football related career path.

From today's freep...

More excuses from Burke, if he put that much effort into getting his assistant coaches to do their jobs properly maybe the team would perform better. 

From today's freep...

And whoever told you that was mostly right. The only "ready" OL in this class was Brett Jones and I remember plenty of people bringing up that he was a risk because of his interest in a non-football related career path.

If only Mack had answered my phone calls, we would have Edem and Jones!

From today's freep...

I was going to say Matt Sewell was a "ready" OL whom a lot of people thought TO got for a steal after he gave up his NFL dream almost immediately after the draft.

Then I wiki'd and realized he went back to school.