Coach's Show

Floyd

From today's freep...

"You have to be consistent in the draft," said Burke. "You've got to say to yourself there's certain positions that it's easier to find Canadian players at. Offensive line is an example, so you just have to keep drafting every year at those positions and not try to draft a fullback or something like that.

"When you draft a lot of offensive linemen, you're not only drafting for your starters, you're drafting for your backups so that when that starter goes down you have a legitimately good backup. We haven't done that."

Wow, Burke slagging Mack again...   I wonder if anyone other than Mack actually had valid input into the draft.

People had input .. whether or not it was listened to is another matter entirely.

I questioned why we didn't draft any o-linemen this year.  I was told there weren't any worth drafting.

LIke Brent Jones in Calgary? What a steal for the Stamps. 

From today's freep...

"You have to be consistent in the draft," said Burke. "You've got to say to yourself there's certain positions that it's easier to find Canadian players at. Offensive line is an example, so you just have to keep drafting every year at those positions and not try to draft a fullback or something like that.

"When you draft a lot of offensive linemen, you're not only drafting for your starters, you're drafting for your backups so that when that starter goes down you have a legitimately good backup. We haven't done that."

Wow, Burke slagging Mack again...   I wonder if anyone other than Mack actually had valid input into the draft.

Yeah he probably wanted us to draft Mitchell instead of Muamba...

I like how guys are using the Mitchell over Muamba argument to defend Mack now... when that's about our least controversial pick. 

In all honesty, I think his Mulumba pick will turn out to be the most scrutinized.

-- Watson, no argument there.

-- Muamba, actually made him look smart

-- Pencer, now that he's actually playing, he's showing value

-- Etienne, this one will still get knocked for a while, but really him and Parker (the #2 pick) are both progressing and turning into players

I like how guys are using the Mitchell over Muamba argument to defend Mack now... when that's about our least controversial pick. 

In all honesty, I think his Mulumba pick will turn out to be the most scrutinized.

-- Etienne, this one will still get knocked for a while, but really him and Parker (the #2 pick) are both progressing and turning into players

Coehoorn and Ianuzzi have already made the Etienne pick look a bad choice... 

Pencer pick is bad primarily for the fact that we gave up two good picks to get him - Mack stated that talent dropped off in the 2nd round... but Hammie picked up Courtney Stephen (now playing) and Carson Rockhill with our picks - Rockhill and an NI LB were then traded for Wojt, Lawrence and a backup QB.  Pencer is not even worth Stephen, let alone Wojt.

I know you are high on Pencer but let's see if his shoulder hold up this season before determining value.

Pencer pick is bad primarily for the fact that we gave up two good picks to get him - Mack stated that talent dropped off in the 2nd round... but Hammie picked up Courtney Stephen (now playing) and Carson Rockhill with our picks - Rockhill and an NI LB were then traded for Wojt, Lawrence and a backup QB.  Pencer is not even worth Stephen, let alone Wojt.

I know you are high on Pencer but let's see if his shoulder hold up this season before determining value.

They have the exact same stats this year. Is Ianuzzi really that much better.

They have the exact same stats this year. Is Ianuzzi really that much better.

Coehoorn has more yards than any receiver on our team... but that could be a bit of an argument in favour of Etienne, I guess.

Ianuzzi is just OK this year but his versatility makes him better - REC, KR/PR, ST.  Plus he has been contributing in some way to the team for three years now.  

Etienne just won a starting spot this year, lost it and is now injured.  Its not that I don't like Etienne, its more that the salary cap $$ and roster space wasted for two years now make him a worse pick than two receivers who have been contributing.  He hasn't even really played ST very much.

Anyway, for the record, I wanted Coehoorn or Junior Turner...  

Burke is trying to keep his job for next year imo.

He shoulda tried winning more games, that's a surefire way to keep your job. Leading the team into blow out after blowout and game after game where the team is out of contention by halftime is not going to be good for job security. 

Burke is trying to keep his job for next year imo.

Well of course he is.  People like to keep their jobs.

What I meant was he has done a subpar job and should be let go and is now making excuses and angeling to be kept.

Maybe. But think he knows he's done and has two years of pay cheques to collect.

He's making excuses because no one likes to be held responsible for poor performance. But at this point he'd be better off resorting to cliches.