Mods: Why No Game Day Thread?

iso_55

I think we should have gone hard on a game day thread.

Everybody knew we needed one, the one we had was old and could no longer get the job done.

The thing is....should we have gone outside this forum or just developed one in house?

Even if we could have found an outside thread, would this have been the chosen forum to post it on?

Spin control...that's what we need.

I wonder who we can pin this on?

I think we should have gone hard on a game day thread.

Everybody knew we needed one, the one we had was old and could no longer get the job done.

The thing is....should we have gone outside this forum or just developed one in house?

Even if we could have found an outside thread, would this have been the chosen forum to post it on?

Spin control...that's what we need.

I wonder who we can pin this on?

Frigging Mack. It's his fault.

Ok, found one:

Bob:     Bombers bumble their way, right out of the gate.

Mike:    Horrible 1st Quarter, down 17 nothing.

Leroy:  With this O, the game is already over.

Tad:     Cauchy Muamba stinks.

Bubba: Jovon should hang it up.

Mike:    Goltz has no pocket poise whatsoever.

Joe:      My arm is stronger, than Max Hall's. 

Bob:     Boatman wouldn't make a good pool rack

Tad:     Nice O playbook, would take 2 mins to read

Tom:    That Do or Die fella, gonna have fun with this one

Leroy:   Does he really drink all that gin?

Harry:   Does he really have any choice?   

a) we use the chat

B) you have the same ability to make threads that other posters do

c) you've known this for a long time

Okay, since you made that comment let me say this... I said mods because you guys now own this site. Chat is great & I like it but if you want people to join this place & actually see it grow then there has to be activity on the main forums especially on game day. Some people don't want to go on chat. Some just want to post their thoughts on a game day thread here. Mike, you can run your site any way you want. I'm not bitching or complaining. I  was just wondering.

I tend to agree with the lack of a game day thread being attributed to the chat room.

With the chat room in use, the only thing that gets posted in game day threads is a lead up to the game. 

Rich any possibility that the posts in chat for game day could be moved to a game day thread after the game/>?

HAHA hoooo...no we don't want that.  Some of us here, and I won't name names....say some ridiculous and embarrassing things in chat.

....*cough* stop looking at me.

I'm not sure posting chat logs are the way to go.  Chats are logged but only site administrators have access to them, so most of the mod team can't even see them.   They are logged pretty much to deal with abuse if / when a complaint is made and we need to verify. 

I'm also not sure we need to prove activity during game days to grow the site.   People who come to the site during the game go to the chat room.  Most people I think know that the chat room is used during the game day, and those that don't figure it out pretty quick.     For those that don't want to use chat and want a game day thread, they are pretty much going to post to themselves because most people are in the chat room during the game, and not checking the thread.

I know you are trying to help iso, but I don't see how the lack of a game day thread deters new people who come to the site.  We have levelled off our registration to an average of a new person every day or two.  There really isn't a spike during game days, so if they are going to stay it is because of the forum discussion, not the game day thread.  

So I will put it to the new registrants out there (or anyone out there for that matter).  Does the lack of a game day thread deter you from the site?  Has anyone thought there to be a lack of activity due to one not being there, or not being used?   

Uhh no game day thread is really awful if you want the place to survive. I always check game day threads after I watch the game. How can a  FORUM not think FORUM threads are important? Weird.

A chat room is not content. I know I will stop coming here. If you just want this to be a few buddies posting news stories with a few comments then I would suggest promoting as much activity as possible. 

It's an interesting dilemma to be sure.

I can understand the immediateness of the chat room and the live interaction and 'participation'.

Live action speak, so to speak.

But..

The sight does look quiet on Gameday and that can be attributed to fans attending the game or being in the chat room.

It just seems weird not to have a 'posting 'station to talk game talk.

I guess that could lead to less activity.

Perhaps some sort of Post-Game-Thread is something we could chat about.

Okay, here's a serious question.

Do people really understand what a game day thread would be filled with before asking for one? There's a pre-game thread where we discuss things as we lead up to the game and there are ALWAYS a few points of discussion being talked about after a game ends but I'm not sure how a 30-page thread filled with "OH ****! sit Goltz/Hall/Boltus" "god damnit, I need another drink" and "hey can someone provide some play by play while I take my laptop with me for a dump" is going to be something worth reading if you missed it the first time.

There's hardly anything ever worth reading in the game day chat room, it's like having a conversation with your buddies. All the well thought out stuff comes before and after a game.

Okay, here's a serious question.

Do people really understand what a game day thread would be filled with before asking for one? There's a pre-game thread where we discuss things as we lead up to the game and there are ALWAYS a few points of discussion being talked about after a game ends but I'm not sure how a 30-page thread filled with "OH ****! sit Goltz/Hall/Boltus" "god damnit, I need another drink" and "hey can someone provide some play by play while I take my laptop with me for a dump" is going to be something worth reading if you missed it the first time.

There's hardly anything ever worth reading in the game day chat room, it's like having a conversation with your buddies. All the well thought out stuff comes before and after a game.

See http://www.morningbigblue.com/community/blog/4/entry-21-game-11-blue-bombers-at-edmonton-eskimos/

I dont think anyone is against a game day thread. The dire suggestion of what will or not happen if we don't have one derails the conversation a bit.

I think we need to do a better job of advertising the chat room. And if that means having a thread created the day of the game setting up the match and inviting people into the chat room, we can certainly do that.

Curious from the out of towners and those that don't go to the games. How busy is the chat room for home games?

I dont think anyone is against a game day thread. The dire suggestion of what will or not happen if we don't have one derails the conversation a bit.

I think we need to do a better job of advertising the chat room. And if that means having a thread created the day of the game setting up the match and inviting people into the chat room, we can certainly do that.

Curious from the out of towners and those that don't go to the games. How busy is the chat room for home games?

It's about maybe half...sometimes more.  Depends who joins.

Like Saturday we had about 14 people in there.  But Noeller, 17, Mike, etc...were missing from the room where they'd normally be in there.  And Bluto, who's been incommunicado for a while, happened to be in there.  He's just been really busy with work.  During at home games we have people coming in and out of the chat room from the stadium...cause the internet sucks so bad when you're there, and then there's the usual crowd plus a few others that randomly come in and out.

Usually no less then 8 and no more then 20 during a game.  I'm guessing if they started winning that might increase.  :)

If people want a GDT, I will make it my duty to create one for the remaining games left.  I have no problem with that if it creates activity and it's what people want.

But I concur that GDTs are pretty pointless to read POST-game.  In the past when I have gone through them, I always wish I didn't afterwards because virtually little insightful discussion happens in a GDT. 

You'll find better content in a PRE-game and the various POST-game threads.