Free Agent Frenzy

Floyd

6 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I think Walters still plans to bring Dressler back, if he had no intention of doing so I think he would have released him well before F.A. opened out of courtesy, as he he did for Leggett, Randle and Wild and issued a statement at the same time thanking him for his service to the team, creating closure.  Dressler deserves to be treated with class and I don't see this organization forgetting to do that. 

A possibility is that they may have already come to an agreement but are just holding back to announce his retirement and the launch of his entry into coaching.  I would happily take him back for another year as either player or coach.

Yeah, he's been fantastic for the organization both on and off the field, as for free agency... I wonder how the recent flashy QB signings will affect the available cash remaining for other players...

4 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Yeah, he's been fantastic for the organization both on and off the field, as for free agency... I wonder how the recent flashy QB signings will affect the available cash remaining for other players...

Only 3 teams should be affected by that, if ever. Teams in the east should have some cap space left, Bombers too. The Riders should have a lot of cap space, problem is no one wants to go there. 😂

Edited by M.O.A.B.

1 hour ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Only 3 teams should be affected by that, if ever. Teams in the east should have some cap space left, Bombers too. The Riders should have a lot of cap space, problem is no one wants to go there. 😂

They are a tire fire right now. I don't think too many players view a Dickenson/McAdoo/Shivers/Collaros combination being a winning formula. The thing I love the most is that us preventing Lapo from going there may have cost them a marquee QB, many high profile free agents, and a shot at a playoff spot. Feels good.

Edited by gcn11

Derel Walker leaves Toronto without signing Argos deal

via J. Dunk, 3 Down Nation

Star free agent receiver Derel Walker has left Toronto without signing a contract with the Argonauts, choosing to fly home and discuss the decision with family in Texas.

I didn't expect him to sign last night but, if they wowed him, it could have happened. I guess Lin-sanity wasn't enough? 

The ravaging of the Riders with the bailing of Chris Jones after taking a massive dump on the organization and the signing of nearly every good player by other clubs almost makes me feel sorry for the good fans out there. Almost. They are going to be wandering in the wilderness for a loong, loong time.

2 minutes ago, Tracker said:

The ravaging of the Riders with the bailing of Chris Jones after taking a massive dump on the organization and the signing of nearly every good player by other clubs almost makes me feel sorry for the good fans out there. Almost. They are going to be wandering in the wilderness for a loong, loong time.

So, everything is normal. 

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

Star free agent receiver Derel Walker has left Toronto without signing a contract with the Argonauts, choosing to fly home and discuss the decision with family in Texas.

I didn't expect him to sign last night but, if they wowed him, it could have happened. I guess Lin-sanity wasn't enough? 

Flying home without visiting with any other teams? Seems odd.

He knows what most teams facilities are..probably wanted to check out if T.O has actually built some kind of facility as opposed to busing around the city..and I sure it was more of a Jim Popp thing wanting to bring him there and go for the hard sell on him.

The fact he didnt sign qhen the Argos said they basically planned to sign him yesterday is lending me to believe he is looking at the whole picture as opposed to maybe making 30-50 k more there, but playing in basic anonymity and no real fan frenzy

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Watch Walker turn down the higher offers from Toronto and Saskatchewan and signs a 2 year deal with the Blue for $250 a season.  

Then we go on Riderfans site and watch them flip out :D

No receiver in their right mind is going to a team that has crap QBing, unless their offer blows all others out of the water.

34 minutes ago, JCon said:

Realistically what are his options?

BC - no money left (at least not enough for a high end receiver)...
Edm - Been there, done that...
Cgy - they don't sign FAs...
Sask - if he wants to be a celebrity in that town and lose consistently for the foreseeable future... that's a nice option...
Wpg - Legit cup contender with interest and a QB he's familiar with...
Ham - They're pretty much set at WR... actually, their pretty stacked: Tasker, Tolliver, Banks, Addison, Saunders... but technically still an option...
Ott - they should have the money available and need receivers... They're should be in the running...
Tor - in the running.... he has history with Franklin too... but not a lot of success to look forward to...
Mtl - technically might be an option but again... how much does he want to win? 

1 minute ago, bearpants said:

Realistically what are his options?

BC - no money left (at least not enough for a high end receiver)...
Edm - Been there, done that...
Cgy - they don't sign FAs...
Sask - if he wants to be a celebrity in that town and lose consistently for the foreseeable future... that's a nice option...
Wpg - Legit cup contender with interest and a QB he's familiar with...
Ham - They're pretty much set at WR... actually, their pretty stacked: Tasker, Tolliver, Banks, Addison, Saunders... but technically still an option...
Ott - they should have the money available and need receivers... They're should be in the running...
Tor - in the running.... he has history with Franklin too... but not a lot of success to look forward to...
Mtl - technically might be an option but again... how much does he want to win? 

Let's say it's down to 2, Winnipeg and Toronto. (Ottawa and Sask could be options but Ottawa wouldn't even talk to Ellingson until the last minute so....)

Toronto - they're likely chasing one of two playoff spots out of the East. Hamilton, right now, has one of those locked. Can Toronto beat out Ottawa and Montreal (heehee) for the last? Very possible. 1 year deal, though and potentially risky if you don't get the QBing to get you the ball. 

Winnipeg - almost certainly the favourite in the West, depending on what Calgary unearths for replacements. If nothing else, they should be a lock for the playoffs. 2-year deal? How much is playoffs and that paycheque worth? 

Regarding Walker....Just one look at that poor excuse for  a CFL stadium should've been enough ...Perusing their starting qbs. and team in general should have spelled out 'also ran'.....I don't think that the riders have anything going on this year...except a shiny new stadium ....We have one of those...a lot more potential and most likely playoff money....So c'mon down Derel.....or is it up

4 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I'd put my money on the Argo's signing him. At his age he's probably chasing the money ala Micah Johnson.

Toronto did everything short of putting a gun to his head to get him to sign before he left town. My guess is Toronto is off the board for Walker.