Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
USABomberfan

Attention Lapolice! Please Stop Calling Predictable Plays

Recommended Posts

Showing way too much of his hand to Claybrooks and not using enough motions to catch the defense off guard or any play action.  Nichols may be struggling but Lapolice is calling nothing to help the receivers bust open or draw the defense off of Harris.  New OC needed anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-11-18 at 4:09 PM, Mark H. said:

How do you know what he called when the ball ends up in the third row? 

Well I started to pay attention to what options Nichols had after all the throw aways... There was no one out there for him to throw to. Mostly it was Harris short with someone right on his ass in coverage and Adams deeper down the field in what would be an iffy throw on the run for a guy without an absolute cannon of an arm. So yeah, **** Lapo for not giving Nichols any help when he leaves the pocket. And **** the receivers for not helping him either. 

 

Lapo gotta go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Well I started to pay attention to what options Nichols had after all the throw aways... There was no one out there for him to throw to. Mostly it was Harris short with someone right on his ass in coverage and Adams deeper down the field in what would be an iffy throw on the run for a guy without an absolute cannon of an arm. So yeah, **** Lapo for not giving Nichols any help when he leaves the pocket. And **** the receivers for not helping him either. 

 

Lapo gotta go. 

This is not all on Nichols but often he left early looking a bit panicked and not keeping his poise in the pocket, no easy thing but that's why he is a professional QB. He is not a roll out passer. If in fact the argument to defend Nichols was he wasn't getting the necessary protection (which I disagree with), then we needed to put in Streveler who is a more mobile QB. Then that's on our HC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Well I started to pay attention to what options Nichols had after all the throw aways... There was no one out there for him to throw to. Mostly it was Harris short with someone right on his ass in coverage and Adams deeper down the field in what would be an iffy throw on the run for a guy without an absolute cannon of an arm. So yeah, **** Lapo for not giving Nichols any help when he leaves the pocket. And **** the receivers for not helping him either.

Lapo gotta go. 

I don't think you will have much support for firing LaPolice. Richie Hall's head was on the chopping block until Bighill arrived and suddenly the defence was credible. Nichols has significant liabilities in footspeed and in his long game and combine that with a mediocre receiving corps, the offensive coordinator has to hobble the offensive game plan to suit the players he has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

seems odd to get rid of the guy running the highest scoring offence, using a fairly average qb, and (so I'm told) substandard receivers.

Nichols was not exactly standing in the pocket waiting for players to get open. Maybe that's why there was nobody there for him to throw to. 

Is it possible something with his preseason injury affected his confidence, or willingness to take a hit? Specially after his injury when at Edmonton hampered his career.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

This is not all on Nichols but often he left early looking a bit panicked and not keeping his poise in the pocket, no easy thing but that's why he is a professional QB. He is not a roll out passer. If in fact the argument to defend Nichols was he wasn't getting the necessary protection (which I disagree with), then we needed to put in Streveler who is a more mobile QB. Then that's on our HC.

it isn't a mistake to roll out. stamps did break down the middle enough, they are a good DL too. need to give guys options. Or give him some quick hitters, but the game plan made it too easy for the stamps to defend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I don't think you will have much support for firing LaPolice. Richie Hall's head was on the chopping block until Bighill arrived and suddenly the defence was credible. Nichols has significant liabilities in footspeed and in his long game and combine that with a mediocre receiving corps, the offensive coordinator has to hobble the offensive game plan to suit the players he has.

well then get used to these kinds of losses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

it isn't a mistake to roll out. stamps did break down the middle enough, they are a good DL too. need to give guys options. Or give him some quick hitters, but the game plan made it too easy for the stamps to defend.

This I will definitely agree with.  I was thinking that a lot watching the game. Wasn't done nearly enough. Get the ball out of his hands Calvillo style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PLAP created one of the highest scoring teams in the league despite having to use a rookie QB for 4 games, an average QB for the rest, below average receivers and 6 starting Canadians. I expect he will be in the running for a HC job this year.

Harris is the guy who makes our offense work. Stop him and force Nichols to win games is the other teams recipe for success. Most teams can't do it, but Calgary did. Nichols needed to take some chances. He needed to trust his O line to give him time, stand in and deliver. Take a few hits if he had to. Instead, he rolled out and threw to the 3rd row or ran for a couple of yards over and over and over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

PLAP created one of the highest scoring teams in the league despite having to use a rookie QB for 4 games, an average QB for the rest, below average receivers and 6 starting Canadians. I expect he will be in the running for a HC job this year.

Harris is the guy who makes our offense work. Stop him and force Nichols to win games is the other teams recipe for success. Most teams can't do it, but Calgary did. Nichols needed to take some chances. He needed to trust his O line to give him time, stand in and deliver. Take a few hits if he had to. Instead, he rolled out and threw to the 3rd row or ran for a couple of yards over and over and over. 

Did you go to the game? He didn't have a lot of options to throw to in that situation. This is on Lapo more than anyone. 

Yeah Nichols didn't have a great game, he missed some guys, had some drops, but you know what? Calgary dealt with the same things from their qb and receivers, the difference was they gave their qb a chance to make plays. Lapo didn't. Lapo tried to let Andrew Harris win the game all by his lonesome against the top team against the run. 

The guy is a smart man and understands offense in the CFL, but he is horrible at judging how a game is going and calls an infuriating game more times than not. He is capable of being great, but too often he is his own worst enemy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Did you go to the game? He didn't have a lot of options to throw to in that situation. This is on Lapo more than anyone. 

Yeah Nichols didn't have a great game, he missed some guys, had some drops, but you know what? Calgary dealt with the same things from their qb and receivers, the difference was they gave their qb a chance to make plays. Lapo didn't. Lapo tried to let Andrew Harris win the game all by his lonesome against the top team against the run. 

The guy is a smart man and understands offense in the CFL, but he is horrible at judging how a game is going and calls an infuriating game more times than not. He is capable of being great, but too often he is his own worst enemy. 

No, I watched the game on TV. It seemed to me, that Nichols was vacating the pocket early to the short side of the field, thereby eliminating at least half of the field. Calgary did a good to great job of taking Harris away in the flats, forcing Nichols to throw deep, which he isn't great at or running the ball, which he isn't great at. Nichols chose to throw out of bounds rather than throw up a 50-50 ball.

Put Streveler in that situation and he'll make a few more first downs with his legs. As Nichols only threw for about 80 yards before 3:30 was left in the game, it didn't matter if Nichols is the better passer.

Edited by TBURGESS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

No, I watched the game on TV. It seemed to me, that Nichols was vacating the pocket early to the short side of the field, thereby eliminating at least half of the field. Calgary did a good to great job of taking Harris away in the flats, forcing Nichols to throw deep, which he isn't great at or running the ball, which he isn't great at. Nichols chose to throw out of bounds rather than throw up a 50-50 ball.

Put Streveler in that situation and he'll make a few more first downs with his legs. As Nichols only threw for about 80 yards before 3:30 was left in the game, it didn't matter if Nichols is the better passer.

I don't think he was vacating the pocket early to be honest. The Stamps did do a good job pressuring the interior of the line and when Nichols took off to scramble it was when he didn't have options to throw to, so he scrambled and had no options either. The Stamps didn't have to think at all on D. Everything the Bombers did was telegraphed. I watched Harris get some of the hardest 3-5 yards ever because there was no misdirection, nothing they hadn't seen before a million times. The game plan for the Bombers was play it safe and hope for the best and that is unacceptable. Nichols is taking the blame for Lapo's shitty day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I don't think he was vacating the pocket early to be honest. The Stamps did do a good job pressuring the interior of the line and when Nichols took off to scramble it was when he didn't have options to throw to, so he scrambled and had no options either. The Stamps didn't have to think at all on D. Everything the Bombers did was telegraphed. I watched Harris get some of the hardest 3-5 yards ever because there was no misdirection, nothing they hadn't seen before a million times. The game plan for the Bombers was play it safe and hope for the best and that is unacceptable. Nichols is taking the blame for Lapo's shitty day. 

To be the Devil's advocate, how do you know that Nichols was following the play that was called in to him? We just do not know and we sure as heck are not going to hear that sort of pronouncement coming from O'Shea because it might hurt someone's feelings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tracker said:

To be the Devil's advocate, how do you know that Nichols was following the play that was called in to him? We just do not know and we sure as heck are not going to hear that sort of pronouncement coming from O'Shea because it might hurt someone's feelings.

because I have seen Lapolice's body of work for many many years in the CFL? We took away his play calling in 2002 because it sucked, we fired him in 2012 because his offense did just enough to lose close games. It's the same crap here with different players each and every time. 

 

I think Lapolice is capable of being great, but he doesn't have a good enough instincts to really be great all the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...