Game Day Thread - Banjo Bowl

BigBlue

Just now, blueandgoldguy said:

lol listening to the post-game show and the person who moderates with Walby and Westwood (can't think of his name) was defending Nichols and using his past history, in particular the playoff game against Edmonton which he referred to as probably Nichols best game as a Bomber.  I remember this game as one in which Nichols racked up a lot of garbage time stats after not being particularly impressive for the majority of the game.

I looked back and checked and nichols final stats were 370 yards passing with 3 TDs and no INTs.  Sounds impressive...until you look at the game log and realize that in the final 11 minutes Nichols passed for 190 yards with the Bombers down by 3 scores.  Loads of garbage time stats with Nichols gaining 90 yards in the final 1.5 minutes alone dinking and dunking down the field to bring the Bombers to back within a TD with 0 time left on the clock.  Best game indeed!

And your point is?

16 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

As sure as the sky is blue, Nichols single handedly lost that game for us today. No one can say otherwise & be taken seriously. 

Not single handedly though, he had a lot of help ******* that game up. Receivers dropped passes, the game plan was utter **** for both qbs. Why did we take Harris completely out of the game? I put way way more blame on Lapolice for this. He needs to do a better job of giving his qbs a chance. 

3 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

lol listening to the post-game show and the person who moderates with Walby and Westwood (can't think of his name) was defending Nichols and using his past history, in particular the playoff game against Edmonton which he referred to as probably Nichols best game as a Bomber.  I remember this game as one in which Nichols racked up a lot of garbage time stats after not being particularly impressive for the majority of the game.

I looked back and checked and nichols final stats were 370 yards passing with 3 TDs and no INTs.  Sounds impressive...until you look at the game log and realize that in the final 11 minutes Nichols passed for 190 yards with the Bombers down by 3 scores.  Loads of garbage time stats with Nichols gaining 90 yards in the final 1.5 minutes alone dinking and dunking down the field to bring the Bombers to back within a TD with 0 time left on the clock.  Best game indeed!

Actual stats can't come fast enough to football coverage in this country.  They just look at boxcar stats, have no context.

Just now, 17to85 said:

Not single handedly though, he had a lot of help ******* that game up. Receivers dropped passes, the game plan was utter **** for both qbs. Why did we take Harris completely out of the game? I put way way more blame on Lapolice for this. He needs to do a better job of giving his qbs a chance. 

Can Nichols physically make the plays that are needed to win?   I don't believe so.   I don't understand why you are defending him when he's been off target 4 games in a row making the wrong decisions and being unable to extend plays or place the ball where it needs to go.  

I don't think we run the guy out of town,  but he definitely needs to sit on the bench for a week or two to light a fire under his ass.   Give Streveler a chance and let Nichols "regain" his "confidence" on the bench.   He certainly isn't bouncing back by going out on the field throwing the ball. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

Not today. He blew the game up for the Bombers with those 2 quick picks. He played like a scared rabbit. He looked confused & intimidated today. There is no defending him whatsoever today. 

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Nope. O'Shea said they knew that Chris Jones wouldn't let them run the ball this week so they adjusted the playcalling accordingly.

Edited by J5V

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Not today. He blew the game up for the Bombers with those 2 quick picks. He played like a scared rabbit. He looked confused & intimidated today. There is no defending him whatsoever today. 

That first pick I blame on Lapolice to be honest, why in gods name, in 2nd and 3 in scoring position do we empty the backfield? Slam Harris up the gut and worst case we kick a field goal. We got a good OL right>? Should be able to pound Harris. He did a lot of that stupid crap today. Like I said, Nichols did some bad things but the game plan didn't give him any help at all. 

2 minutes ago, J5V said:

Nope. O'Shea said they knew that Chris Jones wouldn't let them run the ball this ball so they adjusted the playcalling accordingly.

So we did the defenses job for them.... It's ******* football, sometimes you make the other team stop you. Harris is this offense this year, you take him out all on your own you deserve to lose. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

That first pick I blame on Lapolice to be honest, why in gods name, in 2nd and 3 in scoring position do we empty the backfield? Slam Harris up the gut and worst case we kick a field goal. We got a good OL right>? Should be able to pound Harris. He did a lot of that stupid crap today. Like I said, Nichols did some bad things but the game plan didn't give him any help at all. 

Nah, not today. That was one of the worst performances by a qb I've ever seen. 

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

And your point is?

Just pointing out the absurdity of the host of the post-game show in defending Nichols.  Even if he had attempted to present a legitimate defense of Nichols - which last year's playoff game against Edmonton was not - this is a what have you done for me lately business.  Nichols has been average to poor for nearly a year at this point.  It has been mediocre play, not a blip, by this point in time.  Nichols should not be given the benefit of the doubt based on how he played in 2016 and the first half of 2017.

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Nah, not today. That was one of the worst performances by a qb I've ever seen. 

And yet he started out throwing on target but first pass the receiver fell, then he had back to back drops on throws right on the money... then the game plan stopped using our best player Harris and we started running these scaredy cat plays. Lapo is handcuffing this team badly. Hell Streveler threw a pick as well and didn't find a lot of targets. 

Lapo is the biggest problem with this team right now. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

And yet he started out throwing on target but first pass the receiver fell, then he had back to back drops on throws right on the money... then the game plan stopped using our best player Harris and we started running these scaredy cat plays. Lapo is handcuffing this team badly. Hell Streveler threw a pick as well and didn't find a lot of targets. 

So, Nichols turtling is because we stopped using Harris? The Riders stopped the run. We had to go away from running the ball. the result was a dazed & confused Nichols doing his best to look like a scared rookie out there.

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

With such conservative play-calling - and with the run game being shut down  with mostly short gains - you would no doubt be on here saying Lapo is playing not to lose.

3 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Just pointing out the absurdity of the host of the post-game show in defending Nichols.  Even if he had attempted to present a legitimate defense of Nichols - which last year's playoff game against Edmonton was not - this is a what have you done for me lately business.  Nichols has been average to poor for nearly a year at this point.  It has been mediocre play, not a blip, by this point in time.  Nichols should not be given the benefit of the doubt based on how he played in 2016 and the first half of 2017.

Okay, fair points. Gotcha. 

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

So Lapo is at fault for the receivers dropping balls?

1 minute ago, blueandgoldguy said:

With such conservative play-calling - and with the run game being shut down  with mostly short gains - you would no doubt be on here saying Lapo is playing not to lose.

No I would have applauded his choice to actually show some faith in his team executing a simple play. That wasn't the first time he tried some sneaky bullshit on 2nd and 3 either. Sometimes in situations like that you can just play smash mouth football and trust your guys to get you some yards. Hell get it close enough that gambling is a consideration. We got the hogs up front to do it. 

My beef with Lapo is how often he tries to be the smartest guy in the room, when in a lot of cases simple plays executed well would serve better.