Smoke 'n' Winners

sportmentary2012

I was soundly beaten to a pulp by some posters for my Smoke 'n' Mirrors post.  Nonetheless, I said that I'd post win or lose. So here I am after re-watching the game with a few comments...

-Nichols is cool under pressure and almost always makes the right decision with the ball;

-home field advantage is a great thing and the Blue seem to have finally  embraced it . The O-Line Leap is a site to behold and adds warms the cockles of my heart

- Andrew Harris is to the Blue what Marshawn Lynch was to the Hawks minus the  'it is all about me attitude' and the fact Wally B. let him get away is almost as confounding and confusing as the beating I took last week for my posting

-Mr. Mo 'looks better and better in Blue every game' Leggat is an amazing football player and when he is on the Bombers defence is good but not great and he adds an intangible  to special teams that few teams in the league have.

In summation, it was a nice win with a few peaks and valleys. Glenn still had his way with the defence despite his glaring errors but it was nice to see the d locked down the game after Brandon 'Slaw Rebchuk' Bridge burned them for that td. I think this team showed great character and aplomb with this win. My concerns are alleviated for the moment but I still see some major flaws that even this win cannot hid including the need to for a MLB (wouldn't it be nice to have Muamba) and  to learn the basics about tackling.

I am still not sold on this team because the defence is not great and probably still suffering from Post Traumatic Mack Disorder.

4 minutes ago, sportmentary2012 said:

I am still not sold on this team because the defence is not great and probably still suffering from Post Traumatic Mack Disorder.

The defense giving up big plays remains a concern, no doubt. As for suffering from PTMD (great term, BTW), are you referring to the team itself or yourself?

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

The defense giving up big plays remains a concern, no doubt. As for suffering from PTMD (great term, BTW), are you referring to the team itself or yourself?

I think the team is over the PTMD but as a fan I am still suffering from watching that team and keep wondering when this team will go into freefall mode. However, with leaders like Nichols, Harriss and Leggat this team is probably insulated from a major freefall but this is not a dominating team like Calgary because of the  defence but at least they are competitive and can win on any given Thursday through Sunday!

Our organization top to bottom is well ran, and we have great leaders in place. Not talented "me first" guys from the 2011 squad, not talentless guys from the Burke days, we have players that love being here and will do anything to get the W that's the leadership Mike O'shea has instilled in our guys.

3 hours ago, sportmentary2012 said:

I think the team is over the PTMD but as a fan I am still suffering from watching that team and keep wondering when this team will go into freefall mode. However, with leaders like Nichols, Harriss and Leggat this team is probably insulated from a major freefall but this is not a dominating team like Calgary because of the  defence but at least they are competitive and can win on any given Thursday through Sunday!

It's been a different regime for long enough now. IIRC, the only players still on the roster from the Sleepy Joe Era are Clarence Denmark and Jake Thomas. That's practically a textbook rebuild since Walters took over and O'Shea was brought in as HC. Granted, the team hasn't yet established itself in Stampeders territory (AKA, la creme de la creme of the CFL) but the Bombers are as close as they've been in years. Winning a playoff game is the next step.

12 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

^^That's a fairly solid list of contributors.

Will we be suffering PTMD if someone like Andy Mulumba or Chris Matthews shakes loose and comes our way? Will we need to hold our noses to sign Mack picks/finds all these years later, no matter their potential impact to our team?

Good football players - are simply good football players. Have to trust management to recognise them as such.

I think they have most, if not all, the parts they need on defense ... player-wise. Their coaching on defense is lacking. Whether that gets fixed or not is going to depend on MOS and he is a stubborn fool sometimes. Far more devoted to his players and coaches than to taking the needed steps to fix the flaws.

17 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

^^That's a fairly solid list of contributors.

Will we be suffering PTMD if someone like Andy Mulumba or Chris Matthews shakes loose and comes our way? Will we need to hold our noses to sign Mack picks/finds all these years later, no matter their potential impact to our team?

Well the joke about Joe Mack was he could only find player that were too good - Matthews, Mulumba, Bilikudi - or players that were not good enough - almost every other player he brought in...