Injury Report

BigBlue

5 hours ago, Mike said:

Lankford sucks and IMO, he should be the one coming out. He's not a very good kick returner, he's just behind a very good coverage team. He's miserable as a receiver to the point where I'd honestly rather have Coates/Feoli both in. 

And let's not act like our staff doesn't make personnel mistakes. They benched another young outstanding rookie last year for a veteran and look how well that worked for them - another one they better not replicate this week.

I think stinks is too strong. That said, between dressler, lankford, denny and flanders its a no doubter.  Id really like to see thrope get the return reps. 

49 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

I haven't forgotten that this is the regime that played Willy/Macho Harris/Neufeld over Nichols/Loffler/Bond.

Willy/nichols isnt the best comparison imo. But not playing hardick/bond + every one over kuale, hurl, plus roc over frederick as well as the ones you listed are pretty staggering. It takes a LOT for a vet with experience in the system to be replaced by an upstart player.  At the same time, ritchie and the don were the same way with vets/team guys. 

I wonder if neufeld will be dealt/cut around the vet contract day/PR expansion point. Maybe cut and he joins the coaching staff. 

19 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I think stinks is too strong. That said, between Dressler, Lankford, Denny and Flanders its a no doubter.  Id really like to see Thorpe get the return reps. 

Willy/Nichols isnt the best comparison imo. But not playing Hardick/Bond + every one over Kuale, Hurl, plus Roc over Frederick as well as the ones you listed are pretty staggering. It takes a LOT for a vet with experience in the system to be replaced by an upstart player.  At the same time, Ritchie and the Don were the same way with vets/team guys. 

I wonder if Neufeld will be dealt/cut around the vet contract day/PR expansion point. Maybe cut and he joins the coaching staff. 

Surely to goodness Neufeld has significant trade value. He may not be an all-star, but he has been steady when not injured. Some team in the East has to need a national o-lineman. To Toronto for Coombs?

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

I really feel like Denmark can fill that role that Thorpe has been....the "Nik Lewis" thing that's been mentioned here. Adams and Dressler stretch the field, Denmark and whichever NI Rec is out there are reliable "Hands" guys...

Thorpe is a Nik Lewis, runs good routes, has hands, and gets YAC. Denmark runs good routes, has hands, but is not a YAC guy. I'd prefer Thorpe. My 2 cents.

41 minutes ago, tracker said:

Surely to goodness Neufeld has significant trade value. He may not be an all-star, but he has been steady when not injured. Some team in the East has to need a national o-lineman. To Toronto for Coombs?

Significant? Idk about that. But as we draw towards the tread deadline, what other under 30 NI ol can come in and start for a team with his experience? He might be the best of a bad situation for a lot of teams.  

19 hours ago, Mike said:

They benched another young outstanding rookie last year for a veteran and look how well that worked for them - another one they better not replicate this week.

Maybe I'm just drawing a blank on this nice Friday morning before a long weekend... but who, specifically, are you referring to here... Loffler vs Macho? Bond vs Neufeld?

12 hours ago, tracker said:

I would guess it's highly unlikely Neufeld goes anywhere this year... You don't give up National O-line depth in a year when you're a contender...

14 hours ago, tracker said:

Please - Neufeld over Coombs any day. Mainly because Neufeld is pretty good player when healthy whereas Coombs is very average, maybe even a bit below average.

Plus Coombs just had surgery on a recurring shoulder problem (another dislocation?) and is probably out for the rest of the season if not forever.

Bombers would be nuts to  acquire him under any circumstances. Declan Cross on the other hand is a player I'd love to see in Blue and Gold. That guy reminds me of Harris.

4 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

Please - Neufeld over Coombs any day. Mainly because Neufeld is pretty good player when healthy whereas Coombs is very average, maybe even a bit below average.

Plus Coombs just had surgery on a recurring shoulder problem (another dislocation?) and is probably out for the rest of the season if not forever.

Bombers would be nuts to  acquire him under any circumstances. Declan Cross on the other hand is a player I'd love to see in Blue and Gold. That guy reminds me of Harris.

Coombs was close to a 1000-yard pace before his injury.  But yeah... he has shown no ability to stay healthy.  I actually think Neufeld is a nice comparison... decent Canadian starter-level players who just happen to be band-aids.

Cross is a good fullback.  That was a great draft pick.  But I still like what we've got at that position.

Edited by Atomic

9 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

Can't bother with Coombs, they have to reserve a spot for Demski coming home.

51 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Let's keep in mind that Gray was always going to be a long-term project.  "Project" usually means the player is not ready for NFL competition.  And he isn't.  That doesn't mean they give up on him.  Maybe he shows up on our doorstep sooner rather than later but I'm not putting too much stock in pre-season performance.

This is something people forget... the Packers are notorious for investing time and money in priority UDFA'a... which Gray was... him not being game ready in his first TC is basically expected...

18 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Given the scrambling that other teams have had to do this year, if we can afford it, I like having Neufeld as the 6th OL.

Yes.  It is nice to currently be reaping the rewards of a healthy OL.  But catastrophe can strike at any time and a fully healthy line can be 3 men into our depth in a single week.  It will be nice to have Couture, Neufeld, and Foketi at that time so we don't have to expose Spooner before he is ready, or worse, sign a guy off the street and hope he can play.  If we are going to ship out OL depth, it better be a damn good return that makes us better this year.  Now is not the time to shop our depth for draft picks.

Just now, Atomic said:

Yes.  It is nice to currently be reaping the rewards of a healthy OL.  But catastrophe can strike at any time and a fully healthy line can be 3 men into our depth in a single week.  It will be nice to have Couture, Neufeld, and Foketi at that time so we don't have to expose Spooner before he is ready, or worse, sign a guy off the street and hope he can play.  If we are going to ship out OL depth, it better be a damn good return that makes us better this year.  Now is not the time to shop our depth for draft picks.

the thing is, don't we have Couture as well who had done well?  He and Spooner would suffice if Neufie can fetch something solid on the trade market.

Just now, SPuDS said:

the thing is, don't we have Couture as well who had done well?  He and Spooner would suffice if Neufie can fetch something solid on the trade market.

Yes we have Couture.  The question is how much depth do you need?  And is Spooner ready to play?  You seem sure that he is... I'm not ready to make that declaration.

We've seen multiple teams going FIVE men deep into their OL depth over the last couple seasons.  You have to be ready for that, especially when you're a contender and making a push for a championship.  If Neufeld brings in a star player to improve the team this year?  I'd consider it.  If Neufeld brings in a 2018 second round pick?  I'll pass.

Just now, Atomic said:

Yes we have Couture.  The question is how much depth do you need?  And is Spooner ready to play?  You seem sure that he is... I'm not ready to make that declaration.

We've seen multiple teams going FIVE men deep into their OL depth over the last couple seasons.  You have to be ready for that, especially when you're a contender and making a push for a championship.  If Neufeld brings in a star player to improve the team this year?  I'd consider it.  If Neufeld brings in a 2018 second round pick?  I'll pass.

I'm confident he would be "ready to play" but I don't think he would be ready to start.. no.  I think Couture could probably manage a few starts without too many hiccups tho yup.   I also agree that if Neufie brings us a starting player that we could use, make the move but not for a 2nd round pick.. maaaaybe a first. 

I don't want to move him unless its truly beneficial to the bombers.   I wouldn't want to mess up the depth, just because.   sorry if I didn't make that clearer to begin with.. I'm not saying "FIRE SALE!! EVERYONES GOTTA GO!!" lol.

52 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Compared to Thorpe who should of had two fumbles last game meanwhile Lankford makes a TD saving tackle... yes he has.

Lankford has fumbled a few times himself this year. Thorpe is a better reveiver so its a weak comparison. 

Thorpe has 179 YAC yards and 303 yards overall on 33 catches. Lankford has less than 200 yards receiving on 19 catches and 76 YAC yards. 

Thorpe is better. 

You cant do it but if u take his 1 long TD away.. 79 yards... Dude has barely over 100 yards receiving and his YAC is all of 3 yards. 

Its not even debatable. Thorpe is the more consistent threat. Kick returning? Seems to me its more blocking than what Lankford has done. 

Silly debate tho as Santos Knox should get a shot at WIL and Kyle Knox or OKP should sit. 

Edited by Goalie

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Once... In the Calgary game..... To my knowledge. 

Once more also but believed we recovered. Its again kind of silly for @Brandon to use the Montreal game as this great example... Seeing as how Thorpe played a huge role in helping us win the previous miracle at IGF game. 

I actually dont mind Lankford... I just think hes easily replaceable

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Once more also but believed we recovered. Its again kind of silly for @Brandon to use the Montreal game as this great example... Seeing as how Thorpe played a huge role in helping us win the previous miracle at IGF game. 

I actually dont mind Lankford... I just think hes easily replaceable

My point is that Mike is way off on saying Lankford is terrible.    If we are to judge a player on having a bad game then Thorpe should of been cut last week because he had a terrible game.      Denmark also has had several games where he is completely invisible.

Receivers are easily replaceable,  that is probably the easiest next to RB to find talent to fill the position. 

I was pointing out earlier that Thorpe can be replaced by having Harris catch balls out of the back field.     Sitting Thorpe will not be a big loss.    

Having Dressler replace anyone aside from Darvin Adams is a huge boost regardless of who he replaces.