Causes: 2 & Out's; late game fade; Jekyl & Hyde

BigBlue

I see a lot of flaying away about why we have lost 2 close games and nearly a third as we are now 2 & 2 ....

A lot of opinions are flying around but it all seems to be a random collection of frustrations; it doesn't seem to explain why our precious Blue seem so inconsistent within the same game. Jekyl & Hyde seem less bipolar.

The two and outs are more than just poor scheming. Bombers blowing 4th quarter leads is not a coaching problem.

Something sublime seems to be happening but its hard to nail down. What is the root cause(s) of this seemingly strange hero and bum behavior, really?

23 minutes ago, tracker said:

And your point is.........?

pretty sure he made it by making his original statement but if you reallllly need it in layman's terms..

why are we discussing the exact same thing that is taking place in another thread, over again in another thread..

24 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

pretty sure he made it by making his original statement but if you reallllly need it in layman's terms..

why are we discussing the exact same thing that is taking place in another thread, over again in another thread..

And my point is that there is duplicate content of postings in differing threads all the time. The wording may vary but the content is the same.

12 minutes ago, tracker said:

And my point is 

And my point is we have the random expression of frustrations (its the coaches ... its the schemes .. its the...) and nobody is zooming in on what is really going on

I would enjoy some real insight and analysis instead of just belches and bellowing at the first thing that comes to mind ... even if it is in several other threads: its just farts; I am hoping for more than that in this thread

Our slow starts are not because of a lack of film work or a lack of creativity .... I am wondering about mindset though

Just now, BigBlue said:

And my point is we have the random expression of frustrations (its the coaches ... its the schemes .. its the...) and nobody is zooming in on what is really going on

I would enjoy some real insight and analysis instead of just belches and bellowing at the first thing that comes to mind ... even if it is in several other threads: its just farts; I am hoping for more than that in this thread

Our slow starts are not because of a lack of film work or a lack of creativity .... I am wondering about mindset though

Could it be that the "Swaggerville" culture we had not that long ago has been starved to death by a succession of dreadful coaches and GMs when our beloved Bombers were more likely to be humiliated than win?

Rightly or not, some fan frustration is emerging early.

Not entirely unjustified.

Our slow starts are not because of a lack of film work or a lack of creativity

When Paul LaPolice was here before, he worked crazy hours. I suspect maybe they overthink some things. Like not wanting to just play smash mouth, cause there's not a lot to that. no creativity whatsoever involved in that kind of football.

in the good old days, when the time was running out, need a drive to win, and the Bombers could just grind out run after run, could not be stopped. Still works.....  Messam the other day.

*edit*.... trying to get my "Mark F likes this post" count higher.

Edited by Mark F

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

in the good old days, when the time was running out, need a drive to win, and the Bombers could just grind out run after run, could not be stopped. Still works.....  Messam the other day.

in the good old days we had charles roberts .... Harris is good but not good enough to carry the  whole Bomber team on his back (carrying the other team on his back is the best he can do)

1 hour ago, BigBlue said:

I'm pretty sure I use this forum exclusively for farting around and procrastinating.

5 hours ago, tracker said:

Could it be that the "Swaggerville" culture we had not that long ago has been starved to death by a succession of dreadful coaches and GMs when our beloved Bombers were more likely to be humiliated than win?

Uh, no. Er, well maybe.

I just re-watched the 4th quarter on TSN's replay on tonight. In the entire 4th, Nichols was pressured once, and yet only threw beyond about 6 yds once. He DOES NOT try and go downfield. Sure, his completion percentage is decent, but 85% of his throws are short check downs. I'm getting sick of watching it... we have decent receivers that can make plays. Free Davis... Nichols is not the guy.
And for those who say the defence blew it.... after the botched fake punt gamble, the D held the Lions three times, with the go ahead points coming off the Nichols pick that immediately had BC in FG range. The offence has been the biggest let down, and I put that almost solely on the QB not being able to read a defence and stretch the field.

8 hours ago, trueBlue83 said:

I just re-watched the 4th quarter on TSN's replay on tonight. In the entire 4th, Nichols was pressured once, and yet only threw beyond about 6 yds once. He DOES NOT try and go downfield. Sure, his completion percentage is decent, but 85% of his throws are short check downs. I'm getting sick of watching it... we have decent receivers that can make plays. Free Davis... Nichols is not the guy.
And for those who say the defence blew it.... after the botched fake punt gamble, the D held the Lions three times, with the go ahead points coming off the Nichols pick that immediately had BC in FG range. The offence has been the biggest let down, and I put that almost solely on the QB not being able to read a defence and stretch the field.

Now go back and watch what BC's defence was doing and maybe you'll start to understand.

15 hours ago, tracker said:

Uh, no. Swaggerville was ages ago and died in early 2012.

The consensus from the coaching thread is that :

1. We don't call the right plays or use the right schemes; we have low football IQ

2. Nichols can't find a receiver 15 yards downfield; he is not very good

3. Our coordinators are not very good and never will be

4. We lack talent and defensive injuries expose this .... our recruiting program has failed especially at receiver, DB & LB.

While there is an element of truth to all of these, I believe the thinking is more hysterical than cause centered

Whoever mentioned Swaggerville may be getting to the core: confidence, playing in the zone, winner's mentality stuff. Winners find ways to win, losers find ways to lose ... it is all about self belief.

Decisions about Hurl and Carmichael are starting to look embarrassing to me in terms of management judgment, injuries are taking their usual toll, and we have not gelled ... not unusual problems. 

The big deal, the underlying cause, is that we have not yet learned how to win as a team .... in that we are still feeling our way along. Perhaps we need a hot streak against a series of the weak sisters in this league ... that might change everything.

So you think it's hysterical to blame a coach being passive and rather try and pin it on some hypothetical mental condition? I don't buy it because we saw the exact same kind of thing when Lapo was head coach here. A team that got passive and kept games close but didn't win. You can go back in time and read what Rider fans thought about Ritchie Halls defense as well when they were trying to close out a lead and it's the exact same thing. Lots of yards and points given up late in games. 

We hired coordinators with a long history of being soft when protecting a lead in the 4th quarter and you think that's not the real reason? Come off it. Don't over think these things, the simplest solution is usually the correct one. 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

We hired coordinators with a long history of being soft when protecting a lead in the 4th quarter and you think that's not the real reason? Come off it. Don't over think these things, the simplest solution is usually the correct one. 

So you think the primary cause is coaching .... and i guess there is no way to fix that?

Whether it is subconsciously or intentionally, our coordinators change their style of play based on the lead. That inherently isn't a bad thing, as the plays called should always be effected by the situation (points ahead or behind, field position, current down etc. etc.). There is a "sweet spot" where you let the game situation affect your calling, but not dictate it. It's the difference between closing out games, sitting back whilst a lead slips away, or burning precious time when your kicker needs to be closer than 50 yards.

That's not a knock on Medlock's kicking ability - 50 yards is sizeable task and he is only human. As much as the 3rd-and-15 call caused us to wilt against B.C., the clock management on that last drive was horrendous, the fact we even managed to have 0:01 left to even attempt the kick was nothing short of miraculous.

14 hours ago, Atomic said:

Now go back and watch what BC's defence was doing and maybe you'll start to understand.

I get it... but he doesn't even wait  for a receiver to get open, and obviously the pass routes need to be adjusted to counter the drop back D scheme.... but there's been none of that all year.  Hopefully the adjust tomorrow, but I'm not going to be shocked to see more of the same and Nichols play all 4 quarters.:mellow:

Edited by trueBlue83