What can't be changed

BigBlue

We are what we are  ...MOS is average at evaluating talent and our scouting team is also lukewarm .... our defensive coordinator wants to simplify instead of disguising our schemes stunts and blitzes .... and our offensive coordinator turtles at the first sign of trouble. The more we bog down offensively, the shorter the passes become. The whole league knows to shut down the Blue all they have to do is creep up and jam the short game. Same stuff as last year, no judgment, just the facts. It is an "outmuscle them" philosophy - - our best against their best.

When we have had success, it has been when Nichols has been making his intermediate passes behind the "creeping" defenses. Lapo knows to do this.... it is just not his inclination. Now that we can't sit on our self satisfied butt after the Regina victory, he will modify what he is doing and open her up, until we win again.

Our defensive coordinator: about him I am not so sure. I do NOT know what would motivate him to change. He has a LBer problem with Wilde out and he can't move Carmichael into it. Hurl is too slow to play MLB and with Wilde not roving, he will look even slower .... Leggett is being pressed to do too much. Our D-line oozes with talent and looks invisible. Same story as last year. Simplify, simplify, simplify. The line is all new to the team, right?

Mos has delegated the D to his coordinator, right? We have talent, we are going to win some games, when we out  muscle them.

The question is do we truly have the heart of a champion ... I think we might find that we do, after LEARNING that the pain of staying the same is greater than the pain of actually changing our schemes, philosophies, and way of conducting simplification.

MOS wants to win real bad... he will get us there as any true leader would.

Edited by BigBlue

4 hours ago, BigBlue said:

Same thing you said last year

You mean last season when the team had a winning record and made the playoffs for the first time in five years...?

@Goalieisn't wrong. The kneejerk posting fuelled by blind frustration after a loss is comical in how over-reactionary it is. Although, it's not as bad as another forum based on what I've seen thus far.

15 hours ago, BigBlue said:

The question is do we truly have the heart of a champion ...

What does this mean?

I'm sure they all give 110% and leave everything on the field. They're probably taking one game at time and not worried about the post-season. They're putting in the work and expecting results on the field. The young guys are learning what it takes to be professionals and the vets are leading the way with their leadership.

15 minutes ago, JCon said:

What does this mean?

I'm sure they all give 110% and leave everything on the field. They're probably taking one game at time and not worried about the post-season. They're putting in the work and expecting results on the field. The young guys are learning what it takes to be professionals and the vets are leading the way with their leadership.

What can't be changed is the inclinations of our two coordinators .... what has changed is the deterioration in the quality of our LBers .... we will have out the worst crew we have had in years .... and its an attitude; we turned up our noses at Bear Woods and he is going to be the difference maker come Thursday night ... we can change our LBing crew but we have to want to do it.

5 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

What can't be changed is the inclinations of our two coordinators .... what has changed is the deterioration in the quality of our LBers .... we will have out the worst crew we have had in years .... and its an attitude; we turned up our noses at Bear Woods and he is going to be the difference maker come Thursday night ... we can change our LBing crew but we have to want to do it.

No. Just no. That never happened.

30 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

I speculate that Bear Woods wanted to go work for Popp and Trestman.

He took a cut in pay to play in Toronto.

Edited by Mark F

3 minutes ago, bearpants said:

random fans trying to pass off complete speculation as fact is probably my favourite thing about fan forums :lol:

Other random fans without any real info of their own then laughing at them are on my top 10 list. :D

37 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I speculate that Bear Woods wanted to go work for Popp and Trestman.

He took a cut in pay to play in Toronto.

Atlanta Falcons                                

Woods was signed by the Atlanta Falcons as an undrafted free agent on April 26, 2010. He was waived on September 2, 2011.

Montreal Alouettes

On September 28, 2011, Woods signed with the Montreal Alouettes.[2] Woods did not see any playing time in his first 2 seasons in the CFL; in the 2013 CFL season Woods played on special teams and sparingly on defense. He accumulated 5 defensive tackles and 13 special teams tackles.

The 2014 CFL season proved to be a breakout year for Bear Woods, as he finished the year ranked number 2 in tackles with 89 (BC Lions linebacker Solomon Elimimian finished first with 143). He also added an impressive 7 quarterback sacks. He was the East Division nominee for the CFL's Most Outstanding Defensive Player Award in 2014, winning the James P. McCaffrey Trophy as consolation.[3]Following his standout season, he signed a three-year extension with the Alouettes on January 2, 2015.[4]Woods missed the vast majority of the 2015 season after suffering a torn pectoral muscle in the second game of the season.[5] Woods returned to being one of the star players on the Al's defense for their 2016 season. He played in all 18 regular season games and for the second time in his career finished second in tackles to Solomon Elimimian. Woods also had five sacks, three forced fumbles, one of which he recovered, and two interceptions. Just like in 2014 both linebackers were nominated to represent their divisions as the finalists for the CFL's Most Outstanding Defensive Player Award.[6] Just like in 2014 Solomon Elimimian once again took home the CFL's Most Outstanding Defensive Player Award for the 2016 season.[7] On May 29, 2017, at the start of training camp for the 2017 season, the Alouettes announced they had released Woods.[8]

Toronto Argonauts

On June 7, 2017 the Toronto Argonauts announced they had signed Bear Woods to a contract.[9]

So we had a week to sign him .... loyalty counts for a lot but so does the chance to be on a potential championship team instead of a cellar dweller .... money can influence things too especially in terms of ego points .... my guess is we were never really in the hunt .... we had made up our plan already and stubborn is not flexible relative to opportunities

45 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

So we had a week to sign him ..

where in all that stuff is there  any indication that he wanted to sign here? I can't find anything.

"going after a player" doesn't mean the player wants to be on your team.

again..... He took a pay cut to sign with Popp and Trestman.

Maybe Knox will be just as good as Bear Woods. maybe he'll be better than Bear Woods.

We already know he hits hard, and and is a good tackler.

we've played two games, won one of them, had elements  of a good defence, and people are dumping all over the team.

Have to :lol: at them.

Edited by Mark F

18 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

You mean last season when the team had a winning record and made the playoffs for the first time in five years...?

@Goalieisn't wrong. The kneejerk posting fuelled by blind frustration after a loss is comical in how over-reactionary it is. Although, it's not as bad as another forum based on what I've seen thus far.

They both have a decent helping of truth. I worry about or lackluster systems, but more about mos being soo player friendly that the team plays half a game every game. But no one is on the hot seat or with in close sight of it imo. 

We are a mid tier quality team. With mid tier quality coaching. We are deeply invested into mos and hes earned time to see if he can take the next step forward.