CFL Draft

Floyd

46 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Why? When you can play Canadians elsewhere now. They aren't just OL and receivers anymore 

The CFL seems intent on trying to start at least 2 & would like 3 on the offensive line.  At least it's better than it used to be when teams tried to build offensive lines using all Canadian players. Takes years to build these strong cohesive units & then you have the NFL which screws everything up.

I'd rather wait and try to get Simonise next year for receiver. Get one DL and OL and trade for the future.

Intrinqued by that RB available this year, but is he as good as the Uof M guy  (Derrick Lang?) eligible for next year?

48 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Dunk has Vandervoort slipping out if the first round all together. And bombers taking gray #6. Id like vandervoort there if hes available. Or wright. Both of which Dunk doesnt having going in the first round.

thats pretty crazy even for the cfl draft. 

9 minutes ago, Dirty30 said:

I'd rather wait and try to get Simonise next year for receiver. Get one DL and OL and trade for the future.

Intrinqued by that RB available this year, but is he as good as the Uof M guy  (Derrick Lang?) eligible for next year?

Hell, next year's draft could be just as much of a crap shoot as this years.  If there is a better draft class available the NFL will dip all the deeper to scoop the prime prospects leaving the CFL with the secondary remains again.  This is becoming a serious problem for the CFL to navigate.

1 hour ago, Dirty30 said:

Jordan Lyles

5 hours ago, Dirty30 said:

Is he eligible to go to TC with the bengals? It will be really interesting to see what comes of him. Fantastic talent. But is he gonna do another year in junior if he isnt eligible for the nfl?  He really needs to get a serious amount of reps in didnt he play like half a season in junior last year?

12 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Is he eligible to go to TC with the bengals? It will be really interesting to see what comes of him. Fantastic talent. But is he gonna do another year in junior if he isnt eligible for the nfl?  He really needs to get a serious amount of reps in didnt he play like half a season in junior last year?

He's finished junior football. Why did he think going to junior last season from the NFL would be beneficial? He wasn't much of an impact player with the Sun. Scored only one TD I think & maybe 300 plus yards receiving. What if he had blown out a knee or shoulder playing junior football? He'd have been smarter to train full time in the US working on speed, strength & conditioning. As well as working on his pass catching & route running. If the Bengals loved him so much they might have paid for all of that as well. He'll go back now to the Bengals & have to compete not only with the veteran receivers on the roster but the new crop of prospects they're bringing in. It won't be easy as he'll start again from scratch.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He's finished junior football. Why did he think going to junior last season from the NFL would be beneficial? He wasn't much of an impact player with the Sun. Scored only one TD I think & maybe 300 plus yards receiving. What if he had blown out a knee or shoulder playing junior football? He'd have been smarter to train full time in the US working on speed, strength & conditioning. As well as working on his pass catching & route running. If the Bengals loved him so much they might have paid for all of that as well. He'll go back now to the Bengals & have to compete not only with the veteran receivers on the roster but the new crop of prospects they're bringing in. It won't be easy as he'll start again from scratch.

he was cut by the bengals, they wanted to see him in another year. 

Iirc he played very sparingly but looked phenom esq when he did.

Who knows if the bengals will still be interested in another year from now if he isnt eligible to do tc with them this year. 

47 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

he was cut by the bengals, they wanted to see him in another year. 

Iirc he played very sparingly but looked phenom esq when he did.

Who knows if the bengals will still be interested in another year from now if he isnt eligible to do tc with them this year. 

He would have been the Sun's best receiver athletic wise so playing sparingly doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe at the beginning when he arrived in August but he would have been ready to play full time by the end of the regular season. He didn't seem to make much of a difference as the Sun faded down the stretch. It was a huge risk to play junior. All it takes is 1 injury to end a career.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He would have been the Sun's best receiver athletic wise so playing sparingly doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe at the beginning when he arrived in August but he would have been ready to play full time by the end of the regular season. He didn't seem to make much of a difference as the Sun faded down the stretch. It was a huge risk to play junior. All it takes is 1 injury to end a career.

Yeah, that was a weird one...  not really a lot of meaningful film for him after his season

Will still be a great draft pick next year... happy just to be back in football. 

Calgary will end up with him in the second round after everyone over-thinks his value ha

Simonise seems to be the kind of guy who likes to take the easy way out. Gets thrown out of the U of C for academic issues so he didn't seem to study or do the classroom work he needed to do to stay in university. Then he gets caught for using PEDs. Is he really worth the baggage that comes with him? I'm thinking he's not.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

he was, he played 3 out of 10 games. But was 3rd in receiving yards for them. It was mostly a keep playing stay in football shape thing iirc. I think he signed there in week 6. 

http://www.cjfl.org/stats/team_instance/1938063?subseason=300046&tab=team_instance_player_stats

Idr who but a poster here (regular season only type) is in bc and watches CFJL i think his son plays too, apparently when simonise played he looked all world. Which you would expect. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

he was, he played 3 out of 10 games. But was 3rd in receiving yards for them. It was mostly a keep playing stay in football shape thing iirc. I think he signed there in week 6. 

http://www.cjfl.org/stats/team_instance/1938063?subseason=300046&tab=team_instance_player_stats

Idr who but a poster here (regular season only type) is in bc and watches CFJL i think his son plays too, apparently when simonise played he looked all world. Which you would expect. 

He was a non factor when the Sun played the Rebels in the BCFC final. He also was a non factor when they played a late season game on the road in Langford, BC vs the Rebels  earlier that year. The perception was that Simonise would come in & absolutely dominate as a Sun receiver. Maybe he had some good games but he never dominated. I seem to recall his stats at the end of the regular season & I believe he had a bit over 300 yards receiving & a single TD. Not bad but not outstanding either.

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He was a non factor when the Sun played the Rebels in the BCFC final. He also was a non factor when they played a late season game on the road in Langford, BC vs the Rebels  earlier that year. The perception was that Simonise would come in & absolutely dominate as a Sun receiver. Maybe he had some good games but he never dominated. I seem to recall his stats at the end of the regular season & I believe he had a bit over 300 yards receiving & a single TD. Not bad but not outstanding either.

The CFL draft is littered with the names of Canadian players that never lived up to their full potential.  Simonise sounds like the classic example of an underachiever, all the physical talent in the world but...... 

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Probably because he did not play in the final.... He didnt play in any of the play off games. Iirc because he signed with them in week 6 he was not eligible for the play offs.

WTF is langford? Do you mean langley rams? as in the game he put 132 yards and a td up on 5 catches? his first game of the year there?

Again, he played in 3 games out of 10 for the regular season... it was a conditioning thing... 

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

The CFL draft is littered with the names of Canadian players that never lived up to their full potential.  Simonise sounds like the classic example of an underachiever, all the physical talent in the world but...... 

only if you go by "alternate facts" he is any thing but an underachiever. 

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I wouldn't call him an underachiever. I think he made some bad decisions. He didn't care about academics which got him thrown out of U of C in his senior year. Then using PEDs to gain a competitive advantage which cost him his draft year.

18 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Probably because he did not play in the final.... He didnt play in any of the play off games. Iirc because he signed with them in week 6 he was not eligible for the play offs.

WTF is langford? Do you mean langley rams? as in the game he put 132 yards and a td up on 5 catches? his first game of the year there?

Again, he played in 3 games out of 10 for the regular season... it was a conditioning thing... 

Sorry, don't buy this conditioning thing as you call it. The Sun wanted to win. They just can't have a guy on the roster for conditioning purposes. They signed Simonise as they thought he'd dominate as a receiver & help them earn a championship. He thought he'd dominate. He also thought he'd go back to the Bengals with a bunch of BCFC awards & a highlight tape for the ages & it didn't work out that way. Junior football is very good competition. A notch below CIS.

Langford, BC is where the Rebels play. Not Victoria. That's why they're called the Westshore Rebels & not the Victoria Rebels.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

12 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Sorry, don't buy this conditioning thing as you call it. The Sun wanted to win. They just can't have a guy on the roster for conditioning purposes. They signed Simonise as they thought he'd dominate as a receiver & help them earn a championship. He thought he'd dominate. He also thought he'd go back to the Bengals with a bunch of BCFC awards & a highlight tape for the ages & it didn't work out that way. Junior football is very good completion. A notch below CIS.

signed in week 6, after that game was played. so he played the remaining 3 games. He averaged almost 100 yards a game. Coming in 2/3s through the season.  The sun are also a running team. They arent the calgary dinos. In his 3 games played they ran the ball 35 times, 38 times , and 20 times. Threw it  22 times(13-22), 26 times(12-26), and 29 times(19-29).  233 passing yards, 155 passing yards, and 333 All while splitting playing time between 2 qbs. 

Edited by wbbfan

11 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

signed in week 6, after that game was played. so he played the remaining 3 games. He averaged almost 100 yards a game. Coming in 2/3s through the season.  The sun are also a running team. They arent the calgary dinos. In his 3 games played they ran the ball 35 times, 38 times , and 20 times. Threw it  22 times(13-22), 26 times(12-26), and 29 times(19-29).  233 passing yards, 155 passing yards, and 333 All while splitting playing time between 2 qbs. 

Every junior team is a running team in the BCFC. Look at Jamal Lyles numbers last season for the Rebels as he set the all time CJFL rushing record. Yet the Rebels could throw the ball. The Sun could also throw the ball. They did split time with 2 qbs but they still could put the ball in the air effectively. The Sun felt Simonise would add to their air attack & he really may have had one good game where half his stats were added. As a receiver the rest of the time he played, he seemed average to maybe a bit above average. All I know is the Sun seemed to fade out as the season went on whether he was on the roster or not. They suffered a devastating loss to the Saskatoon Hilltops in September & were never the same team after.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

Every junior team is a running team in the BCFC. Look at Jamal Lyles numbers last season for the Rebels as he set the all time CJFL rushing record. The Sun could also throw the ball. They split time with 2 qbs but they could put the ball in the air effectively. The Sun felt Simonise would add to their air attack & he really may have had one good game where half his stats were added. As a receiver, he seemed average to maybe a bit above average. All I know is the Sun seemed to fade out as the season went on wheter he was on the roster or not. They suffered a devastating loss to the Saskatoon Hilltops in September & were never the same team after.

Could, and when they did they won in a blow out. and simonise had his best game. The other two games? they lost. 

Put it in the air effectively? 52% in his first 2 games. 0 tds 3 picks. Their qbs tossed 2 td passes over those 3 games. 

After the loss to the hilltops they beat langley 44-24 and had a good offensive game. 

My premise here isn't to discuss the abilities of Rashaun Simonise as it's pretty clear he has a lot of talent. I do question his decision making. Risking serious injury for a 3 game stint in junior football, flunking out of university & then being caught for using PEDs that disqualified him for the draft tomorrow. At 23, he should be a lot smarter than that.

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Could, and when they did they won in a blow out. and simonise had his best game. The other two games? they lost. 

Put it in the air effectively? 52% in his first 2 games. 0 tds 3 picks. Their qbs tossed 2 td passes over those 3 games. 

After the loss to the hilltops they beat langley 44-24 and had a good offensive game. 

Did you watch any BCFC games or are you just quoting stats? My son coached for the Rebels. I saw a number of his games including their win over the Sun during the regular season & I went to the CJFL Championship game in Langford. The Sun lost their mojo after their loss to Saskatoon. They struggled at times. Yes, they won some games but they weren't the juggernaut they usually were in 2016. They lost to the Rebels in the BCFC Championship game. Now my son has left the Rebels & is the qb coach/passing coordinator for the Sun this season. So I'm hoping that the Sun indeed do indeed get their mojo back throwing the ball & are once again juggernauts in the BCFC for 2017. :)