Game 48 : Alexander @ The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Team

4 hours ago, Goalie said:

Arizona is worse than we are and embarrassed us last game. If this team comes out and craps the bed again against them... time for real change not bandaid solutions or fishing in the dark like they are right now 

If this team wins tomorrow with Pavelec in net, you'll be eating so much crow you'll be flying

Edited by iHeart

If the Jets actually play better defensively they have a chance but if it's the Jets team who has shown up the last 4 games... they will lose. Pavelec is what he is. Career 907 goalie.  Helle this year is 907. Hutch is 894. He's better option than Hutch. But thats not saying much. 

It's a team game and the goalie will only be as good as the team he plays in front of. 

I still don't see how he fixes our PP or PK or D zone play or dump and chase O play or lack of discipline or a whole bunch of other issues plaguing this team. The uneducated fan will think... oh we won... it's because pav was in goal... but if we win it's because we were the better team and recently outside of the Calgary game about a week ago... the team has been awful. Maurice has ripped in to them 2 of tge last 3 games calling their play horseshit.  If they play like horseshit again... they will lose yet again 

7 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

Blame players, coaches, refs or whom ever you like. This team is a Budget first team and will always be that. The priority is the bottom line. 

This part I disagree with.  And is actually a myth when you look at some of the contracts given out.  It might be a budget conscious team but its not a budget team per se.

What I find very interesting is the Jets are projected to be $5M under the cap this year.   That still puts them bottom 5 in the league for salary, but a $5M difference in overall salary is about 7% of the cap.   As the cap has stayed relatively stagnant in the last few years, while I haven't actually done the analysis, it feels like the gap between the top spenders and low spenders is shrinking.

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

What I find very interesting is the Jets are projected to be $5M under the cap this year.   That still puts them bottom 5 in the league for salary, but a $5M difference in overall salary is about 7% of the cap.   As the cap has stayed relatively stagnant in the last few years, while I haven't actually done the analysis, it feels like the gap between the top spenders and low spenders is shrinking.

$5m is one good player.  That's Ehlers, Laine's next contract.  Thats a solid D man coming in.  That's Trouba getting paid on a long term deal.  Not like the Jets are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

43 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

$5m is one good player.  That's Ehlers, Laine's next contract.  Thats a solid D man coming in.  That's Trouba getting paid on a long term deal.  Not like the Jets are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Yeah, I don't see any indications of the team being constrained by the budget.  If Trouba had signed long-term as planned then we would be right up against it.

I think a lot of fans and media (especially outside of Winnipeg) got caught up in the idea that Jets fans would have to be happy with a cheap, under performing team.  Chipman even said early that they would not be a cap team but he was willing to spend more if the team was a legit contender.

But I think the team has been a greater success than they believed originally and is profitable.  As long as the team generates a profit every year, then player costs dont matter.  They have room to spend more.

The stupidest **** I see on social media is people saying the Jets 1.0 left because they sucked and lost fan support and that is a risk here.  Its not a risk now.  A guy doesnt spend hundred of millions on multiple developments around his NHL team as an anchor without being committed for the long haul.  And long haul isnt 20 years.  It's multiple generations.

A time will come when lack of success impacts attendance (or enthusiasm of fans) and Chipman will know and want an improvement.  I dont believe for a second that Chevy is constrained by budget.  I think the Jets are very budget conscious in a macro way.  Chipman explained last year that they have salary forecasts for years for each player.  So they know what they want to spend years and years from now.  Other teams gamble.  Other teams think in the moment. The Jets think long term.  And that can be frustrating to fans who want immediate consequences or immediate reinforcements.  But ultimately its probably the right plan.

Once the Jets actually become a playoff team consistently, they should be easier to maintain that status for a longer period than teams that try to win now every year.

There are thousands of fans on the waiting list for season tickets.  Attendance will not be an issue for a long, long time.  And we have possibly the best ownership group in Canada.

I also don't think Chipman will tolerate much more losing from Chevy.  He doesn't need empty seats to take action.  If we miss the playoffs this year and the next, Chevy is gone.

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

There are thousands of fans on the waiting list for season tickets.  Attendance will not be an issue for a long, long time.  And we have possibly the best ownership group in Canada.

I also don't think Chipman will tolerate much more losing from Chevy.  He doesn't need empty seats to take action.  If we miss the playoffs this year and the next, Chevy is gone.

I agree.  Isnt Chevy's deal up after next year?  So he needs a new contract too.  That will be interesting as to whether he gets another 5 years or something shorter. 

Playoffs is where owners get rich.  its found money.  If Jets made the playoffs consistently into the second round, it would be a massive windfall of cash for True North.

Laine skated today so getting closer.  Maurice gave no time line.  But if I understand correctly this is part of the concussion protocol - every benchmark requires a symptom assessment.  So he will skate and if he feels good he will practice, if he feels good he's probably good to go.  Couple more games maybe.

Chevy will get a 3 or 4 year extension.  I think the bigger question Is... what will Maurice get and these last few games probably will determine his fate. If they go on a run... who knows but I honestly don't see it. Jets have been consistently inconsistent