Game 48 : Alexander @ The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Team

Perception is everything.  Jets win 6-3 and Pavs is "near-perfect" and Chevy's master plan of "going on a run" is within their grasp.  If they lost that game 3-2, Pavs would be assigned to my street hockey team and an angry mob would be assembling outside Chevy's office demanding the head of Maurice.

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Perception is everything.  Jets win 6-3 and Pavs is "near-perfect" and Chevy's master plan of "going on a run" is within their grasp.  If they lost that game 3-2, Pavs would be assigned to my street hockey team and an angry mob would be assembling outside Chevy's office demanding the head of Maurice.

Remember, your boy Lawless says Maurice is going nowhere.

3 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Remember, your boy Lawless says Maurice is going nowhere.

My boy?  You seem to like making silly remarks for no reason.  Not only is the connections and sources of Lawless not in doubt, my remarks were clearly sarcastic in nature and had nothing to do with whether Maurice WOULD be fired, only what people would want.

Wise up. 

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

My boy?  You seem to like making silly remarks for no reason.  Not only is the connections and sources of Lawless not in doubt, my remarks were clearly sarcastic in nature and had nothing to do with whether Maurice WOULD be fired, only what people would want.

Wise up. 

Honestly didn't know they were sarcastic...sorry.

Why are people picking on Lawless / Unknown Poster? 

Other hockey experts have also said that Maurice is definitely safe this season.    

The organization has made this a rebuild,  let the young players grow ,  type of season.   They are meeting the organizations expectations... the young guys are growing and developing.  

The season is a write off and they are building for the next few years.  

I am not picking on anyone...when it comes to the NHL and CFL I think Lawless is arguably the most connected journalist/reporter in Winnipeg.

He does say some bonehead things though...he was arguing about the expansion draft with Hustler a week or so ago and he says well if we go 4-4-1 and protect Morrissey...Hustler right away says you don't have to protect Morrissey.......Lawless says well we can go 5-3-1 then???

There was silence from Hustler........He is connected to some pretty good sources though.

Edited by Ducky

9 minutes ago, Ducky said:

He also said he would probably be hired very quickly if he were let go....Dreger is pretty connected and he doesn't usually spout off like Friedman and Button and some others.

Dreger never says anything that may hurt his sources, or that hasn't been approved or spoon fed him.

"Well...."

The man never says anything.

But, just because Dreger doesn't think the Jets will fire PoMo, that does not mean he thinks they SHOULD....

Same with Friedman and Button. They may think he should be but not that he will.

11 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Darren Dreger said that Maurice is safe and then said the obvious thing of  "If they are going to fire him then what better coach who is out there is going to replace him?"

They can't fire him mid-season at basically exactly the same number of games and same record Noel had... optics would be pretty bad.

At the end of the season, if Claude Julien shakes loose... that would be a serious upgrade.

1. Julien

2. Dineen

3. MacLean

All of those are upgrades.

5 minutes ago, Floyd said:

They can't fire him mid-season at basically exactly the same number of games and same record Noel had... optics would be pretty bad.

At the end of the season, if Claude Julien shakes loose... that would be a serious upgrade.

1. Julien

2. Dineen

3. MacLean

All of those are upgrades.

I'd love to see Claude Julien here.  Paul MacLean, I'm not so sure, his time in Ottawa was pretty average but their record was always at or above fake .500 which we can't say about Maurice so it's tough to argue with results.  Dineen is totally unproven but probably at the top of my "coaching prospects" list.

I'm not sure Maurice will be fired anytime soon aka during the season but during the off-season? who knows, lots can change, who knows exactly, if a clear upgrade is available, you'd be foolish not to at least look in to their interest in coming here. Perhaps during the players interviews with Chevy, some of the guys on the team tell him they feel Maurice has run his course, you just don't know what could happen. I don't exactly think they are where they expected them to be, I'm not sure i buy that notion, i think they thought they would be pushing for a wild card spot, they are but have multiple games in hand on all those teams, so are they? I dunno exactly, The PP and PK is still struggling, there seems to be a lack of structure at times in their O and D zone play, these are issues, these are coaching issues, is it because they haven't practice enough? I dunno, is it because the systems they are running are out of date and perhaps don't fit the players we have? It might be, maybe not tho. 

We run a man on man Defensive system, that doesn't really happen in the NHL these days anymore. That system is a bit out of date, is it on Maurice or is it on the players? perhaps both but... at the same time, if the current system isn't working, the coach should probably recognize that and change it up... 

Who knows what will happen in the off-season tho, this also could be part of the 32 games in 60 days factor (an NHL record) and all the injuries they had during that time. 

I'm not convinced that if Maurice was let go that he would be hired that quickly, why? Because he was unemployed for many many years before the Jets came calling and never really had his name brought up when teams were looking for new coaches. I just don't see another team giving him a chance, maybe but he probably wouldn't be their first or even 2nd choice tho. 

Edited by Goalie

If Maurice had two years left, I'd say theyd likely remain status quo but because he only has one year left they have to actively endorse Maurice by giving him an extension or replacing him.  So its not a matter of "well, lets see what happens".  The Jets HAVE to make an active decision on their Head Coach.

I like Maurice.  If they dont at least fire Huddy and Flaherty though, I'll start denouncing Chevy.

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I'd love to see Claude Julien here.  Paul MacLean, I'm not so sure, his time in Ottawa was pretty average but their record was always at or above fake .500 which we can't say about Maurice so it's tough to argue with results.  Dineen is totally unproven but probably at the top of my "coaching prospects" list.

Dineen would fix our special teams pretty quick...

Maclean is very good with developing young players... but he plays a pretty wide open system

4 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Dineen would fix our special teams pretty quick...

Maclean is very good with developing young players... but he plays a pretty wide open system

Wishful thinking?  Maybe he would but let's remember he's got some incredible personnel in Chicago and they are 15th in PP% and 28th in PK% (worse than WPG).

13 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Wishful thinking?  Maybe he would but let's remember he's got some incredible personnel in Chicago and they are 15th in PP% and 28th in PK% (worse than WPG).

Wow.  I guess I have his first season stuck in my head... there was a lot of talk about how he turned around Chicago's special teams... maybe not.

Looking at this season, maybe Maclean will have tightened up his system after working with Boudreau and Carlyle...

17 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Wasn't Kompon supposed to do that?

Special teams look exactly like they have during Maurice's tenure in winnipeg so... perhaps realize that it's Maurices system that Kompon is running. Is Maurice your dad or something cuz the Lengths you go to actually not blame him for anything at all is crazy 

Edited by Goalie

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Special teams look exactly like they have during Maurice's tenure in winnipeg so... perhaps realize that it's Maurices system that Kompon is running. Is Maurice your dad or something cuz the Lengths you go to actually not blame him for anything at all is crazy 

Did he steal your girlfriend because the lengths you go to actually blame him for everything is crazy

Just now, Atomic said:

Did he steal your girlfriend because the lengths you go to actually blame him for everything is crazy

I don't blame him for everything but the fact that you for that matter and Ducky refuse to actually blame Maurice for anything is ridiculous.  

He's the coach.  He's the guy in charge of the on ice product. 

Either our players aren't good enough or Maurice isn't.  Which is it?;