Game 48 : Alexander @ The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Team

12 minutes ago, Goalie said:

It's ok for Hutch to have crappy numbers because he's just around for the expansion draft? 

You seem to be greatly confused about how the expansion draft works.   People have given you detailed information yet you still don't understand?

The Winnipeg Jets organization does not want to lose Hellebuyck or Comrie. 

They have to leave 1 goaltender available to Las Vegas who will be under contract for the 2017-2018 season. 

Currently the Jets only have 3 goalies under contract for the 2017-2018.

Out of the three they would only want to lose Hutch. 

They do not want to sign Emery or some other drifter because they would have to give them a 2 year contract.  

The club does not feel like spending an extra million or two to get a goalie who is marginally better then Hutch and then have to pay the guy next season.

How does this not make sense to you at all?     

The organization cannot travel back in time so they are living with the decision that they had made.  And at the time Hutch had good numbers and it was  a good decision.

And, with the condition that the Vegas Strippers have to pick three goalies, there's a chance they take Hutch. He's cheap and has done well at times. Plus, he's only got one year left. Jets wouldn't lose anyone else.

You would be stuck with Emery or whoever for the following year.

There was a stat last week, I think it was where if Helle had won the game his Save% would have jumped to .914 or something.  I dont remember the exact numbers.  Helle hasnt been good enough but he mostly flirted with league average or close to it.  Some early pulls have sunk his numbers.

Chipman wont fire Chevy.  But Im saying i wouldnt be mad.  Accountability has to start at the top.

Chevy is in charge of drafting and developing, yes.  So maybe a better job for him is head scout.  because he's also in charge of making sure the rest of the team is talented enough, the coaching is good enough, the right mix of players are here.  And he's failing at that.  His plan of burying Pavs and handing the reigns to a rookie, backed up by another almost-rookie has failed.  Now they pin their hopes on a career-below average goalie who was barely adequate in the AHL and who has an expiring contract.  This is poor management.

I can imagine Maurice angrily demanding Chevy get him a goalie.  He sees the pitch forks coming and demands for his job...but he's not getting the talent to back him up either.  He and Chevy are similar actually.  Maurice not showing enough accountability for some players.  Chevy not shipping guys out or bringing guys in.

If they really truly believe they have the winning formula and all it takes is them to grow together and the switch will flip and they will compete...well, okay, thats a plan.  But they better be right.

52 minutes ago, Brandon said:

You seem to be greatly confused about how the expansion draft works.   People have given you detailed information yet you still don't understand?

The Winnipeg Jets organization does not want to lose Hellebuyck or Comrie. 

They have to leave 1 goaltender available to Las Vegas who will be under contract for the 2017-2018 season. 

Currently the Jets only have 3 goalies under contract for the 2017-2018.

Out of the three they would only want to lose Hutch. 

They do not want to sign Emery or some other drifter because they would have to give them a 2 year contract.  

The club does not feel like spending an extra million or two to get a goalie who is marginally better then Hutch and then have to pay the guy next season.

How does this not make sense to you at all?     

The organization cannot travel back in time so they are living with the decision that they had made.  And at the time Hutch had good numbers and it was  a good decision.

Sure.  And so they should have sent Hutch to the Moose to start the season.  Thats what I said then.  I like Hutch.  But they gambled on Hutch being a quality back up.  Most teams, when handing the reigns to a rookie have more than Hutch in their back pocket.  They gambled and are losing.

But again, Helle & Hutch dont play D or O or Special Teams or prepare the team for the games or make in-game adjustments or make trades.

Also, follow Lawless.  Because he is either very insightful or he has someone high up whispering in his ear.  I havent heard him on H&L so I cant say for sure but on twitter he seems to ignore the calls for coaching changes in favour of Pavs coming.  That might tell us how management feels about the situation - blame the goalie, not the coaches.  The second Lawless questions Maurice's future, Maurice should start calling realtors.

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Sure.  And so they should have sent Hutch to the Moose to start the season.  Thats what I said then.  I like Hutch.  But they gambled on Hutch being a quality back up.  Most teams, when handing the reigns to a rookie have more than Hutch in their back pocket.  They gambled and are losing.

But again, Helle & Hutch dont play D or O or Special Teams or prepare the team for the games or make in-game adjustments or make trades.

I'm still very unclear as to whether the Jets could have done this...  Can you still expose a goalie in the exp draft if he plays the whole season in the AHL?

7 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I'm still very unclear as to whether the Jets could have done this...  Can you still expose a goalie in the exp draft if he plays the whole season in the AHL?

Yes.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

Player Exposure Requirements
* All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and B) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and B) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

Hutch has an NHL contract even if he is playing in the AHL, and would therefore qualify as a goaltender who is under contract for 2017-18.  Don't think he would qualify if he was on an AHL only contract (for a player on an AHL contract to move up to the NHL, he would have to sign an NHL deal and I believe would have to go through waivers in that situation).

And if not, they could have called him backup before the last game of the season so he is on the roster.

2 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Yes, there are no restrictions on the goalies (like there are on the skaters).

Edited by JCon

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

Fine with me...  I'd sit Laine for another month just to make sure this concussion doesn't come back to bite the Jets next year.

Seriously, this season is done

Isn't the official end of the season marked by the annual recall of Patrice Cormier?

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Isn't the official end of the season marked by the annual recall of Patrice Cormier?

vleM4du.jpg

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Also, follow Lawless.  Because he is either very insightful or he has someone high up whispering in his ear.  I havent heard him on H&L so I cant say for sure but on twitter he seems to ignore the calls for coaching changes in favour of Pavs coming.  That might tell us how management feels about the situation - blame the goalie, not the coaches.  The second Lawless questions Maurice's future, Maurice should start calling realtors.

He works for the host broadcaster. I'm sure he gets the same exclusives as CJOB does for the Bombers.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg