Game 48 : Alexander @ The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Team

50 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Amazing I noticed that immediately but when I brought it up here Rich told me to get lost and start my own site

I told you to go start your own blog because of a snarky answer of how I would be "sorry" when you were proven right in all your glory  

I also never disagreed he holds his glove too low. I said it was too early to write him off and he needed time to see if he can adjust to the NHL. 

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

I told you to go start your own blog because of a snarky answer of how I would be "sorry" when you were proven right in all your glory  

I also never disagreed he holds his glove too low. I said it was too early to write him off and he needed time to see if he can adjust to the NHL. 

Oh **** I didn't think you would see this

39 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Another serious queston then...

It is obvious Flaherty has tried to "fix it" right?

Why is it the guy being told to keep his glove higher doesn't take an ounce of blame here then? Maybe Flaherty should sew a string on the end of his glove to his shoulder so it won't go lower?

I get it - you're going to defend the coaches until we get first pick overall.  I get it.

But let's reframe this.  Why couldn't Flaherty fix Pavelec's game after six years?  Why did Chicago let him leave while Corey Crawford was developing?

Interesting note... Helle's college goalie coach seems to have worked in the low glove position to his 'positional' style...   so maybe they don't want it fixed...  maybe this is just a rookie goalie that needs time

42 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I get it - you're going to defend the coaches until we get first pick overall.  I get it.

But let's reframe this.  Why couldn't Flaherty fix Pavelec's game after six years?  Why did Chicago let him leave while Corey Crawford was developing?

Interesting note... Helle's college goalie coach seems to have worked in the low glove position to his 'positional' style...   so maybe they don't want it fixed...  maybe this is just a rookie goalie that needs time

Because Pavs isn't that good.

Do you expect a goalie coach to take a mediocre goalie and turn him into Ken Dryden?

For sure he needs time...never said he didn't.

5 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Because Pavs isn't that good.

Do you expect a goalie coach to take a mediocre goalie and turn him into Ken Dryden?

For sure he needs time...never said he didn't.

Well, that's actually what a good goalie coach does.  Look at Dubnyk. 

Pavelec showed flashes of being a great goalie... he just can't keep focus for a whole season or often even a whole game.

People keep saying this team is the same as when Noel left?  Far from it? 

The young guys that Maurice has groomed have all blossomed and are playing fantastic hockey.  

We are not looking at guys like Trouba, Ehlers, Laine, Copp, Morrissey etc... and saying that these guys have been damaged goods like how Neil Yakupov floundered...  

It's the old timers like Buff, Enstrom, Staff and Perreault who have not played up to expectations.

This is the growing pains of a rebuild... so far nearly every guy Maurice/Chevy have drafted high has met or exceeded expectations..

48 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Well, that's actually what a good goalie coach does.  Look at Dubnyk. 

Pavelec showed flashes of being a great goalie... he just can't keep focus for a whole season or often even a whole game.

Okay i just did....he put up .916 .914 .921 while playing in front of a piss poor Edmonton non-existent defense...what's your point? Have you found a goalie that did better after he left Flaherty's coaching yet? Besides 99 year old Budaj. What does that tell you? The goalie either isn't very good or won't listen. What exactly is he supposed to do if he won't hold his glove higher for instance?

edit ... I guess if Deadmonton had Minny's goalie coach Dubnyk would have put up those numbers there?

Edited by Ducky

2 hours ago, Ducky said:

Okay i just did....he put up .916 .914 .921 while playing in front of a piss poor Edmonton non-existent defense...what's your point? Have you found a goalie that did better after he left Flaherty's coaching yet? Besides 99 year old Budaj. What does that tell you? The goalie either isn't very good or won't listen. What exactly is he supposed to do if he won't hold his glove higher for instance?

edit ... I guess if Deadmonton had Minny's goalie coach Dubnyk would have put up those numbers there?

Sigh... not that I think it really means anything.  But yes.

Corey Crawford and Annti Niemi.

Edited by Floyd

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Sigh... not that I think it really means anything.  But yes.

Corey Crawford and Annti Niemi.

He had Crawford for one year and he had a .917 and is a career .918.

Niemi one year at .912 and a career .914.

If memory serves me, they won a cup under Falherty did they not?

Do you really think a goalie coach has that much influence anyway?

Edited by Ducky

Sticking up for Flaherty now? Oh wow. When you got an agenda against a goalie you got an agenda. 

Here's a better question for ya Ducky about Flaherty and Huddy for that matter 

Why after 1 playoff appearance in 6 years, swept in 4 games, are these 2 guys still here? Noel is long gone... why are  "his" assistants still here? 6 years for these 2. Why? Their lack of results speak for them self.  

Helle when he came up last year was big and boring. Hes not that this year. Why is that? Only 1 reason. 

Eric Comrie himself said the first thing Flaherty told him was to play deeper in the net... that's not what you want your goalie to do. 

The goalie coach should definitely be charged this off season and I guarantee that if you bring in a new goalie coach with a clue.... all our goalies would be better off.  Right now tho... they all play the exact same way... deep in the net and flopping around like fish. That's definitely on coaching.  

Seriously go watch helle when he first came up... big and boring... strong positioning... out to cut down angles.... now look. It's coaching and it's Flaherty cuz hutch and pav pretty much do the same thing 

39 minutes ago, Ducky said:

He had Crawford for one year and he had a .917 and is a career .918.

Niemi one year at .912 and a career .914.

If memory serves me, they won a cup under Falherty did they not?

Do you really think a goalie coach has that much influence anyway?

You asked who improved after Flaherty left... and I found two goalies.  

You didn't ask to compare career average to their year with Flaherty - but thanks for proving that he is an average goalie coach and not a great one.

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

You asked who improved after Flaherty left... and I found two goalies.  

You didn't ask to compare career average to their year with Flaherty - but thanks for proving that he is an average goalie coach and not a great one.

Average is probably giving him 2 much credit. He's a poor goalie coach. 6 years. It's ridiculous that him and Huddy are still here. 

What are Huddy's responsibilities and I am being honest? I don't know how the assistant coaches are used on the Jets. Does Maurice tell him what matchups he wants and he makes sure they are on the ice at the right time or what?

What does Kompon do?

I have read that Woodcroft has been helping the centers on faceoffs but I have never really read anything about the other assistant's responsibilities.

On 2017-01-20 at 6:18 PM, Brandon said:

People keep saying this team is the same as when Noel left?  Far from it? 

The young guys that Maurice has groomed have all blossomed and are playing fantastic hockey.  

We are not looking at guys like Trouba, Ehlers, Laine, Copp, Morrissey etc... and saying that these guys have been damaged goods like how Neil Yakupov floundered...  

It's the old timers like Buff, Enstrom, Staff and Perreault who have not played up to expectations.

This is the growing pains of a rebuild... so far nearly every guy Maurice/Chevy have drafted high has met or exceeded expectations..

The problem is their record and effort and team d and goaltending are all far too similar as when Noel was fired. 

We all agree there is more talent here. Why they aren't better is the issue.