Game 48 : Alexander @ The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Team

The Jets season is done. They got Bigger issues that just goaltending.  

I'm hopeful this is a move to sit hutch down. Hindsight is always 20 20 but reality is at the start of the year... this is what the majority of fans wanted. Helle Hutch. Hutch has really sucked tho. Couldn't really see that coming. 

Just now, HardCoreBlue said:

The season is not a write-off, yet. It will be soon if this continues but again, not yet. They can still go on a roll and get themselves back into it.

If the Jets make the playoffs on the back of career-best goaltending from Pavs, then management is really out to lunch and should be replaced. 

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

The Jets season is done. They got Bigger issues that just goaltending.  

I'm hopeful this is a move to sit hutch down. Hindsight is always 20 20 but reality is at the start of the year... this is what the majority of fans wanted. Helle Hutch. Hutch has really sucked tho. Couldn't really see that coming. 

Im quite certain I suggested Helle/Pavs.  ;-)

3 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

The season is not a write-off, yet. It will be soon if this continues but again, not yet. They can still go on a roll and get themselves back into it.

They are 3rd last in terms of win percentage and have played the most games. They are done. They can't win 3 in a row... they will need to win 10 in a row 

10 hours ago, Goalie said:

I'd post the video.  It's on the tsn site but I'm on my phone. It's hard not to agree with them. They are bang on in everything they say. 

They mention a lack of structure in the D zone .. not just recently but for months now... they mention all sorts of things actually.  I've said it for a while now... IT IS coaching *that includes huddy and Flaherty also 

I watched it this morning, and as you said, it's hard to argue with the points they made.

Why hasn't Flaherty been fired?  Wouldn't that be one of the easiest moves to make?  They need to do something and calling up Pavelec, isn't it.

Pavs will play average and the Jets will win enough games to get a decent but not great draft pick.  just to cap a wonderful season.

Who is keeping Flaherty employed?  Its ridiculous.  If any coach performed as poorly as him, they'd be gone ages ago.  Well, I guess other then Huddy. 

At BEST they have to clean house of all assistants this off-season.  And no one should be shocked if they fire all the coaches including Maurice.  Chevy is safe but at this point he shouldn't be.

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

Pav doesn't help the defensive zone breakdowns.

Hmmm, not breakdowns, that suggests there is a structure back there.

Let's say, Pav doesn't help the lack of defence.

And he doesnt help lack of effort.  he doesnt help lack of preparedness.  He doesnt help lack of in-game adjustments.  All they can hope is he plays better than he has his entire career.

Hey Chevy, what are the secrets to the Jets being a contender? "Just have to go on a run".  And you can add "Just need Pavs to play the best hockey of his career".  Likely scenarios.  Its like me buying a house, car and giant TV I cant afford and my creditors asking me what my plan was - "I planned to win the lottery". 

And imagine the Jets didnt win their own lottery and didnt draft Laine this year.  Good God.  I always argued with those people who said the Jets would never compete because they were a budget team.  Chipman promised us the best effort to compete.  Where is it?  This team is terrible.  Worse, they are WORSE in practice then they are on paper.  So something is making them worse.  Coaching.  Management.  Wrong mix of talent.

All of that falls at the doorstep of Chevy.

Remember when the fans decided to have some fun with Pardy when he had his helmet ripped off by a drunk in Chicago?  And a furious Chipman called an impromptu presser to chastize the fans?  And he could barely spit the words out he was so angry?

Where is that guy when his ******* team is dropping like flies.  Oh yeah, banning print reporters from being too close to him in the press box.

Im frustrated.  But if Chipman announced every one was fired tomorrow, I wouldnt be mad.

I think this is a desperate move by a desperate coach actually, Would Chevy have to agree?sure, but this is Paul Maurice for sure. His ass is on the line and he thinks calling up a below average goalie will help, he won't tho. Maurice is delushional and has officially lost it, I'm not surprised this happened tho and i actually don't hate it, if HUTCH SITS in the press box, the fact they IR'd Chiarot and are gonna be keeping 3 goalies, well, that's pretty interesting, stupid but interesting. But this is Paul Maurice trying to save his ass...

Jets have lots of problems for sure, Perreault seems to be one, earlier in the year he threw Trouba under the bus, a couple games ago, he threw goaltending under the bus, this from a guy who just signed a new deal and is playing like total crap, There is no accountability on this team, Vets man, they can get away with whatever they want and there are very little consequences. 

Does Pavelec take less penalties? Does he fix our PP? Does he help the PK? does he score more goals, does he come out and go to sleep for periods on end and then wake up in the final 2 minutes of a game? Does he play D? Is he going to play Stu on the PK and stafford on the PP?

This is all coaching and this right here is a desperate move by a desperate coach. Chevy obviously agreed but.. the fact they kept hutch and helle both up, shows that this iS probably more Paul Maurice. 

Why should Chevy's ass be on the line? I get it, people are upset but to ignore the fact that our best players are our youth, the ones who chevy has drafted and developed, well, that's just stupid... Is the Washington GM's ass on the line? I mean Holtby let in 6 goals in the 2nd period last night, is the Montreal coach or GM's job on the line? Price let in 7 vs Minnesota, It happens... But the difference there is the coaches actually come out the next practice and work on the mistakes his entire TEAM made, Maurice? He doesn't, he just rips in to them on the bench it seems now on a nightly basis, a sign of a coach who knows his time is coming to an end. 

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Remember when the fans decided to have some fun with Pardy when he had his helmet ripped off by a drunk in Chicago?  And a furious Chipman called an impromptu presser to chastize the fans?  And he could barely spit the words out he was so angry?

Where is that guy when his ******* team is dropping like flies.  Oh yeah, banning print reporters from being too close to him in the press box.

Im frustrated.  But if Chipman announced every one was fired tomorrow, I wouldnt be mad.

That's wayyyy too kneejerk. I don't Chipman making decisions like that.

It would be foolish to keep running out goalies that have their confidence shattered. Well, young ones anyhow. I don't see a problem with letting Pav come up for a few games and seeing if the team reacts positively. They really have nothing to lose at this point.

I don't think it will solve the problem. But repeating the same thing and potentially crushing your future number one's confidence, isn't going to help either.

HUTCH was supposed to be the Veteran, he's what? 26 27 years old, prior to this year, had some pretty good NHL numbers, he's supposed to be the guy that when Helle struggled (cuz rookies do that), he was supposed to be the guy that stepped in and stepped up, he didn't tho and hasn't. You can't expect your rookie 23 year old goalie to stand on his head on a nightly basis, and you can't expect him to be lights out every night, every goalie has a bad game or 2 or 3 or 4 plus a year (Holtby let in 6 in the 2nd last night, Price let in 7 vs Minny, Murray let in 7 last night even).. It happens but... what you can expect is your backup goalie to come in and actually give your team a chance, Hutch hasn't done that and I feel, because he hasn't done that and because Maurice obviously lost confidence in Hutch, he started overplaying Helle (the 23 year old rookie), Helle obviously was feeling the pressure a bit, I mean how can't you, You're a rookie and it's basically up to you for your team to win or not, since Hutch certainly isn't/wasn't doing that. 

Calling up Pavs? Whatever, as long as Hutch sits in the press box is fine with me, maybe Pavs goes on a run, he won't but maybe he plays good enough that the Jets could trade him for something at the deadline. 

What will likely happen, he will play ok, but the Jets will lose more than they win because the problem isn't actually on the goaltending. 

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Helle has been terrible ... he needs to sit for a while... ideally it would be better if he had gone to the AHL for a few weeks just to snap out of his terrible streak.

Yet his numbers this year compared to Hutch

16 13 1... 2.82 GAA and a 907 save percentage (skewed by a couple early pulls)

Hutch

4 10 3.... 3.23 GAA and a 894 save percentage. 

So really, who is the one who needs to sit? 

1 minute ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

There's a lot of problems on this team and I would put goaltending at the top.

You'd be wrong then, It's 1 of the problem but it's not even close to number 1. on the list of problems, is theres 10, Goaltending is probably around 5 or 6

You know Helles 907 save percentage this year, that's Ondrej Pavelecs Career save percentage pretty much.

So, yeah...Goaltending isn't the biggest problem at all, if it is, that means your buddy and pal Ondrej was part of the problem for 6 seasons also. (which he was) but it's now at the point where the problem is pretty obviously on coaching or lack there of. 

Edited by Goalie

5 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Yet his numbers this year compared to Hutch

16 13 1... 2.82 GAA and a 907 save percentage (skewed by a couple early pulls)

Hutch

4 10 3.... 3.23 GAA and a 894 save percentage. 

So really, who is the one who needs to sit? 

Not that anyone will claim Hutch now.... but once again Hutch is around purely for the expansion draft.   The numbers mean nothing at all.