Game 48 : Alexander @ The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Team

One way or another after this season ends and the expansion draft is over... I think we will see some changes whether that means Maurice huddy Flaherty and or players moved out... I'm not sure but this off season, there will definitely be change with this team. 

Just now, Goalie said:

One way or another after this season ends and the expansion draft is over... I think we will see some changes whether that means Maurice huddy Flaherty and or players moved out... I'm not sure but this off season, there will definitely be change with this team. 

I dont even know what the defence can be for keeping them.  The team D has been dreadful for six years.  Goaltending has been below average for six years.  Huddy and Flaherty have both been here for six years.  Get rid of them. 

Just now, Goalie said:

Loyalty 

They fired Noel.  They traded Ladd.  Loyalty to Huddy and Flaherty?  Especially when they changed the HC but kept the former assistants?  Makes no sense to me.  If Maurice gets an extension, they should fire his assistants.  Unless he wants to keep them.  In which case fire him for being nuts.

14 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I also expect Pavs to be on top of his game. So what?  This city is so backwards that Pavs will go on a run and everyone will want to re-sign Pavs to a five year deal. His career numbers don't lie. 

I've  already traded him in Nhl 17. 

The sad part is the the top of Pav's game is among the lower % for starting NHL goaltenders :(

14 hours ago, Floyd said:

Russian way. Revenge.

Putin is behind this!

Re Pav... this guy is displaying a lot of good manners and politeness,  through all of this.

When he was demoted I heard an interview, he sounded very dissapointed, but handled it really well, and now doing the same coming back into this mess.

And he's taking a large pay cut for some reason,  yet he's saying at the same time, he's happy with beinh back with the Jets.

On a personal basis, I like this guy for this.

Edited by Mark F

Via Eliott Friedman 

18. A couple of months ago, I was at a panel discussion featuring David Segal, co-founder of David’s Tea. One of his philosophies is, “Never marry your ideas.” I thought of that while waiting for the Jets to call up Ondrej Pavelec. I understand what they were thinking: “We made a call and we’re going to stick with it,” which is the way you have to start with these things. Make a decision and give it time.

In this case, however, they reached the point of diminishing returns and had no choice but to step back. They had to do it as much to protect Hellebuyck as promote Pavelec. The former is still the goalie of the future, but it’s clear this is not the time to expose him to the wolves. He needs work, in practice if not in games. As for Michael Hutchinson, word is Winnipeg has feared losing him on waivers, particularly to San Jose.

19. When it comes to Paul Maurice, my thoughts are this: 2017–18 is the final year of his current contract and I do believe it was always Winnipeg’s plan to discuss an extension with him after the season. Sometimes, the ground shifts underneath our feet, throwing our best-laid plans out the window. In a perfect world, that’s what I think the Jets would still like to do. The organization is loyal and patient. They gave Claude Noel a longer rope than most other teams would have, and you always look for patterns in behaviour.

20. One of the reasons I think Winnipeg likes Maurice: He plays their young players. The Jets want to know what they have. It’s not always easy to find coaches comfortable with that, especially since being a bench boss is not exactly a stable profession.

5 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Via Eliott Friedman 

20. One of the reasons I think Winnipeg likes Maurice: He plays their young players. The Jets want to know what they have. It’s not always easy to find coaches comfortable with that, especially since being a bench boss is not exactly a stable profession.

Huh?

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Yeah Im not sure its rocket science.  What coach wouldnt play Laine, Ehlers, Morrissey?  Connor, Petan, Roslovic are on the Moose.  I dont see him playing any youth sooner than anyone else would.

He's played Copp Petan, Ehlers (who could have gone back to juniors or Europe, Tanev, rather than having Chevy pick up veterans.

Just now, JCon said:

He's willing to play the young'uns like Ehlers, Armia, Copp, etc. Not a lot of coaches are willing to do this.

Armia and Copp both started with the Moose.  Only a bad coach would not be playing Ehlers.  I dont think its a mark of genius to play your best players just because their young.

He's still been committed to Stafford a bit too long (though I understand why).  I dont subscribe to the idea he's too loyal to veterans.  I think he punishes youth for their mistakes more but that is probably a coaching philosophy.  Veteran players know when they screw up and what they have to do to be better so consequenceing them, especially in-game, is punitive.  Younger players need more discipline. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

He's played Copp Petan, Ehlers (who could have gone back to juniors or Europe, Tanev, rather than having Chevy pick up veterans.

Copp was maybe a handshake deal to get him to turn pro.  He was back on the Moose this year.  Petan had his "try out" and was sent down.  On the Moose this year until injury call up.  Ehlers was too good to let go to Europe.  Tanev played for the Moose.  Thats why you have an AHL team, to develop young players who either earn a call up or get called up due to injury.  There were also times Cormier was called up.  And now Pavs.

I dont think Maurice is embracing a youth movement as much as the overall strategy of the franchise is to draft and develop and Maurice is operating within that plan.

This is the same coach that trotted out Ladd, Little and Wheeler for every shootout last year...  and then chose Stafford instead of Ehlers this year

Stuck Ehlers on third line with Thorburn, now Petan on fourth again with Thorbs.

Gave Trouba almost no PP time last year and gives Morrissey zero special teams time this year while running Enstrom into the ground...

He only plays youth because that's how the NHL works now. 

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Copp was maybe a handshake deal to get him to turn pro.  He was back on the Moose this year.  Petan had his "try out" and was sent down.  On the Moose this year until injury call up.  Ehlers was too good to let go to Europe.  Tanev played for the Moose.  Thats why you have an AHL team, to develop young players who either earn a call up or get called up due to injury.  There were also times Cormier was called up.  And now Pavs.

I dont think Maurice is embracing a youth movement as much as the overall strategy of the franchise is to draft and develop and Maurice is operating within that plan.

But PoMo would still have to agree to take on Copp.

Same with Petan. Petan was given a long rope before cutting him off.

Ehlers? Borderline. Could have gone to Europe for a year to play pro over there. PoMo could have asked for Stepniak back. He would have produced more last year than Ehlers.

Tanev started with the Jets.

7 minutes ago, JCon said:

But PoMo would still have to agree to take on Copp.

Same with Petan. Petan was given a long rope before cutting him off.

Ehlers? Borderline. Could have gone to Europe for a year to play pro over there. PoMo could have asked for Stepniak back. He would have produced more last year than Ehlers.

Tanev started with the Jets.

Tanev started with the Jets after signing a pro contract near the end of a dismal season.

Stemp did produce more than Ehlers last year but not by much.  Not nearly enough to justify letting Ehlers go to Europe rather then be developed in-house.

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Tanev started with the Jets after signing a pro contract near the end of a dismal season.

Stemp did produce more than Ehlers last year but not by much.  Not nearly enough to justify letting Ehlers go to Europe rather then be developed in-house.

Tanev started with the Jets this year.

Hindsight. No one knew how Ehlers would develop and, for a while, it was really slow. He could have easily spent a year in Europe. PoMo took the youth route.

Jets are one of the youngest teams in the league. They could have easily sent the kids down last year and signed a bunch of vets. Maybe even reached the playoffs again.

28 minutes ago, JCon said:

Jets are one of the youngest teams in the league. They could have easily sent the kids down last year and signed a bunch of vets. Maybe even reached the playoffs again.

This is a management decision not on Maurice...  draft and develop remember.

The vets that Chevy signs are bargain players not leaders.

From TSN story analyzing what every team needs

WINNIPEG

Top priority: Expansion draft protection
Scoop: The Jets will be well positioned on forward and defence once

returns. What GM Kevin Cheveldayoff could do is find a new home for and get a return (however small) now for a player they’d likely lose in June’s expansion draft for nothing. That would likely steer Las Vegas into selecting either or , and take Perreault’s new four-year deal off the table before it even begins.

Fans always seem to be in favour of playing the young players, even if they're not the best.  Kinda like the backup QB is always the most popular... just haven't seen them enough to know their flaws.  Even on a team like the Jets who are close to the youngest in the league, the fans want to go younger.  Look at this thread, it's people denying the truth that's right in front of them... the Jets play more young players than anyone.

22 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Fans always seem to be in favour of playing the young players, even if they're not the best.  Kinda like the backup QB is always the most popular... just haven't seen them enough to know their flaws.  Even on a team like the Jets who are close to the youngest in the league, the fans want to go younger.  Look at this thread, it's people denying the truth that's right in front of them... the Jets play more young players than anyone.

Some insist because Connor was a Hobie Baker finalist, that he should be a top line producer in the NHL. And that Comrie is the answer to all that ails the Jets. And why not give Stanley a go.

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

Some insist because Connor was a Hobie Baker finalist, that he should be a top line producer in the NHL. And that Comrie is the answer to all that ails the Jets. And why not give Stanley a go.

Yup, same old story.

"Bring up the kids!"

"We're the youngest team in the league already..."

"Must be the coach then!  Fire the coach!"

Just now, Atomic said:

Yup, same old story.

"Bring up the kids!"

"We're the youngest team in the league already..."

"Must be the coach then!  Fire the coach!"

When it was time to make a playoff push, did the Jets go out and trade for a bunch of kids? Nope vets.