Canadian Politics

5 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I'm waiting for Ben Mulroney to make the jump into politics to take on JT.  Airhead vs airhead.  Selfie battle to the death.

no don't give him any ideas, oh and by the way wasn't his daddy a liberal as well?

12 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Sooner or later political parties will figure out this never works, elect the best candidate, not the third best.

Will they, though...? It's been decades and if there's one thing politicians demonstrate well, it's that they never learn.

Edited by blue_gold_84

12 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

You're asking/stating if Brian Mulroney was a Liberal...?

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

oh he wasn't? did it ever occur to you that maybe I was double checking? *goes to google?* oh he was a conservative, my mistake, but we didn't learn everything in school, it's not like I have everything memorized, heck I was three when he left office

50 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

That could be, but judging by the shape of his head, it's fair to assume that Brian was his actual father.  Pierre was busy at the time chasing other skirts.

I never said Brian wasn't his father, I thought that Mulroney was a liberal

Edited by iHeart

7 minutes ago, iHeart said:

oh he wasn't? did it ever occur to you that maybe I was double checking? *goes to google?* oh he was a conservative, my mistake, but we didn't learn everything in school, it's not like I have everything memorized, heck I was three when he left office

Okay, and...?

Some people just want to be ignorant of the country they live in that's their problem. I don't know why someone who is oblivious to the politics of this countries pretty recent past bothers to wander into this thread though, if you don't know about politics why discuss it? Maybe they should stick to link spamming other threads. 

35 minutes ago, iHeart said:

Brain Mulroney should be in all school texts books two of the biggest pieces of legislation in this country history were passed by his government, NAFTA and the GST.

4 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Brain Mulroney should be in all school texts books two of the biggest pieces of legislation in this country history were passed by his government, NAFTA and the GST.

It's funny, most of Mulroney's policies today would be seen as very liberal... bringing in a new sales tax, taking a stand against Apartheid, and taking measures to protect the environment.  Unfortunately people don't like new taxes and he had a face that just made you want to punch him... but looking back he actually had a very successful tenure as PM.

Just now, Atomic said:

It's funny, most of Mulroney's policies today would be seen as very liberal... bringing in a new sales tax, taking a stand against Apartheid, and taking measures to protect the environment.  Unfortunately people don't like new taxes and he had a face that just made you want to punch him... but looking back he actually had a very successful tenure as PM.

A progressive. Not like today's conservatives.

Just now, Jpan85 said:

A progressive. Not like today's conservatives.

I don't know much about the new Conservative leader Scheer but it seems that he is looking to be somewhat progressive.  Hard to tell.  Would be nice if we could have a party that sits in the centre more than the hard-right Harper conservatives and hard-left liberals/NDP.  And don't try to convince me the liberals are in the centre.... that ship sailed long ago.

4 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I don't know much about the new Conservative leader Scheer but it seems that he is looking to be somewhat progressive.  Hard to tell.  Would be nice if we could have a party that sits in the centre more than the hard-right Harper conservatives and hard-left liberals/NDP.  And don't try to convince me the liberals are in the centre.... that ship sailed long ago.

Unfortunately the Conservatives lost that base long ago when Preston showed up, Scheer for the most part is representing the same group as Harper, which is the hard right Alberta priders.

27 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Progressive? No, the anti-abortions groups are celebrating his win because he's a social conservative, which are the morons that co-opted the term conservative to the detriment of all. 

27 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I'm very much a centrist and I don't like how our parties are all moving away from the centre. That should be the space the Liberals fill, but I agree they've moved further left than they used to be.

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Progressive? No, the anti-abortions groups are celebrating his win because he's a social conservative, which are the morons that co-opted the term conservative to the detriment of all. 

That's too bad.  I just saw that he is not anti-gay but I guess that's the best we can hope for from the conservatives in today's political climate.