Canadian Politics

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-gst-holiday-response-1.6143915

What is with these policies that they are coming up with? First, a carbon plan that gives you a savings account for polluting purchases and now a GST holiday for December? They do realize that there are supply shortages already, right? They do realize that this will disincentivize people to make any purchases until December, right? They do realize how frustrating it will be for businesses to change their taxation for just one month, right? When you have the Canadian Federation of Independent Businesses criticizing it and calling it gimicky, then you really have to wonder how they are coming up with policy.

I do like their pledge to add tariffs to countries with high carbon output, but I'd imagine there would be tons of exceptions from industries that are reliant on cheap Chinese goods.

Edited by WildPath
Clarified - High carbon emitting countries rather than products.

10 hours ago, WildPath said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-gst-holiday-response-1.6143915

What is with these policies that they are coming up with? First, a carbon plan that gives you a savings account for polluting purchases and now a GST holiday for December? They do realize that there are supply shortages already, right? They do realize that this will disincentivize people to make any purchases until December, right? They do realize how frustrating it will be for businesses to change their taxation for just one month, right? When you have the Canadian Federation of Independent Businesses criticizing it and calling it gimicky, then you really have to wonder how they are coming up with policy.

I do like their pledge to add tariffs to countries with high carbon output, but I'd imagine there would be tons of exceptions from industries that are reliant on cheap Chinese goods.

Most parties attempt to buy votes in one way or another but this one is really poorly thought out. It makes them appear to be poorly prepared for an election we all knew was coming.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/affordable-housing-2021-election-1.6145799

Canadian voters will be hearing a similar message from each of the federal parties during the current election campaign: housing has grown too expensive, and we have a plan to fix it.

The consensus reflects the increasingly dire state of housing in Canada, experts say, which affects everyone from prospective homeowners feeling squeezed out of the market to lower-income families languishing on waiting lists for affordable housing.

"It doesn't really matter where you fit on the housing spectrum, housing is in a state of crisis in this country," said Jeff Morrison, executive director of the Canadian Housing and Renewal Association.

14 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Surely you jest. No one could be so biased as to not see that extremism exists strongly and currently on both ends of the political spectrum.

Ok. But please provide examples. Right wing extremism is often defined by an anti-immigrant, anti-LGBTQ, anti-woman, anti-abortion, anti-science, anti-environment, pro-gun rights, anti-black stance. What is left wing extremism defined by in your opinion?

I'm so glad someone said something. I hear a lot about "the extreme left" in Rural AB (...even the premier has talked about it...) and I always wondered what exactly that was. The thing about the extreme right is that it's based around hate. The extreme left is more about love of environment than anything. 

The simple answer is extreme left is anything the right disagrees with or is scared of...  For example when Jason Kenney says extreme leftists he is talking about people who are anywhere left of where he sits. 

A more serious answer, if I had to guess would be the extreme environmentalism at the expense of everything, the real hippy dippy type stuff where we should abolish all wealth and industry should be regulated to the point where it's essentially run by the government. 

I mean there's extremes on all sides... the problem is the extreme right is a lot more numerous and militant than the extreme left. 

climate change is the number one voter concern on vancouver island. maybe sinne the facking province is burning down again.

Conservative candidate:

"We have a climate change plan this time around that really puts control over making change in the hands of ordinary Canadians," said Kronis."

In April, O'Toole proposed charging a levy on fuel purchases to fund personalized savings accounts which Canadians can use for environmentally friendly purchases."

The Conservatives, have seen the light.

their solution to climate change. will give you a savings account. oh, and pump lots of oil.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

liberals....

"

Nikki Macdonald, Victoria's Liberal Party candidate, says Justin Trudeau's team is on top of climate issues.

"People are really looking for a government that's going to do something on climate change. And the Liberals have already shown that they are," she said. "

will also.... pump oil. cause justin is on top of it!

good enough for me!

😂😂😂😂😂

Edited by Mark F

On 2021-08-16 at 11:37 AM, Noeller said:

One interesting thing to follow is here in AB there is a Western Independence Party that is gaining a ton of steam, and a lot of the crazies (most of AB) will at least consider a vote for them, which of course will bleed off the CPC support out here. I think there's real opportunity for left-leaning (or at least not Right-leaning) parties to make some headway, especially in the cities, which tend to be increasingly progressive....

Maverick Party? 

5 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Surely you jest. No one could be so biased as to not see that extremism exists strongly and currently on both ends of the political spectrum.

Ummm... extreme leftists like those who bomb abortion clinics, try to overthrow a democratically elected government, defy common-sense vaccination protocols, threaten minorities and so forth?

22 hours ago, WildPath said:

do like their pledge to add tariffs to countries with high carbon output,

lol, we'll have to put a tariff on ourselves. 

"Canada is currently the world's 7th largest greenhouse gas emitter, and has a long history of producing industrial emissions going back to the late 19th century. In 2019 transport and oil and gas extraction together emitted over half of the total.[2] Canada's fossil fuel extraction industry has increased its greenhouse gas emissions by 21.6% since 1990."

wiki

with our dinky population.

32 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

So any opinions on Heather Stephenson entering the race to replace Pallister? I say not a great choice.

She is personable and presents well on camera, but she is the architect of the eviscerated health care system today. I don't know how she is going to explain that away.

30 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

So any opinions on Heather Stephenson entering the race to replace Pallister? I say not a great choice.

She’s a lock in her riding and has been for 21 years, has been very loyal to the party (stood by Stuart Murray when he got tepid reviews by his own party and opted to step down and was replaced by the more bombastic and further right leaning Hugh McFadyen - somewhat risky given Murray’s flagging popularity, but was quickly able to gain McFadyen’s and then Pallister’s trust) and has handled a number of high visibility positions (Justice, Health, Family, Deputy Premier). According to media reports, she has the backing of a large segment of the party to run. I know her personally from way back and she is very bright and savvy without being a camera hog or needing to see her own name in the media. Decent person but certainly not naive to the political game at all. I hope she is not being set up as a political lamb to the slaughter following an unpopular leader who knows his party is going to crash and is abandoning ship (see Kim Campbell), and I say all this as someone who does not traditionally vote PC. I think she could strike a chord as a more moderate or at least reasoned voice for that party than a Calvin Goertzen, Shelly Glover, Scott Fielding, or Candace Bergen. She has already said she would go against the Palliater regime and abandon bill 64 acknowledging that Manitobans are not happy with it. And with a party that still has a bunch of white men in it, she could offer a bit of diversity. Big down side is that she was Health Minister during the 3 TD wave of the pandemic when the ICUs got overloaded and patients were shipped out to other provinces, so she wears that big target on her back. And she was largely not visible during that time, so one could argue she didn’t stand and face the fire (I understand she had medical issues of her own when she was MIA, so I cut her slack there). That’s one admittedly biased view based on having a personal connection to her (not super strong, although enough to be on a first name basis collegially). 

42 minutes ago, Tracker said:

She is personable and presents well on camera, but she is the architect of the eviscerated health care system today. I don't know how she is going to explain that away.

Hard to know how much she designed it vs Pallister, but she did follow marching orders at the least. 

27 minutes ago, Noeller said:

That's the one... Couldn't think of the name. I honestly think they're gonna give the Cons a run in RD-MV.... 

Lots of right wing Conservatives are pissed off with Kenney, O'Toole & Trudeau. The PPC isn't a viable option for them so they're looking to vote separatist. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27