Canadian Politics

22 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Sure there will be examples of that all over between all parties, however, the Liberals have not given a reason for more than a very minute amount of people to change their minds about them. They have swayed you and that's your prerogative but recent polling numbers are showing that it will be another minority. Personally I don't see much change in outcomes coming. No party has stepped up and left the fray behind.

There was some worry about Bernier before the last election then he went full wingnut. I don't think there is much worry now. They will realistically not be a factor in the outcome of this election unless it comes down to a virtual tie and even then they have no realistic shot at winning any seats. None of these parties will get votes in anything other than the staunchest right ridings where the CPC candidate will still win in a landslide.

CPC have done everything in their power to give the Libs the edge and they'll win a comfortable but not remarkable majority. 

O'Toole, if possible, is even worse than Scheer. They're embarrassing. 

Edited by JCon

13 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

If it weren't illegal I would eat my ballot, then throw it up into the voting booth because these candidates make me sick.

Many years ago, probably in the 70s, I was utterly disgusted by the slate of candidates.  So I made a little box, neatly printed my name and voted for myself. And yes, I know that's a spoiled ballot but in a small community where everyone knows everyone I thought it might give someone a laugh. 

30 minutes ago, JCon said:

CPC have done everything in their power to give the Libs the edge and they'll win a comfortable but not remarkable majority. 

I disagree on your first point mainly because Trudeau has been equally as embarrassing, but agree on your second point that O'Toole is a very uninspiring choice.

Edited by GCn20

27 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I disagree on your first point mainly because Trudeau has been equally as embarrassing, but agree on your second point that O'Toole is a very uninspiring choice.

I would reverse that. Trudeau is uninspiring, O'Toole (and the entire CPC, really...) is embarrassing. 

Edited by Noeller

12 hours ago, the watcher said:

1st of all I never said he was a racist.  I said you would have roasted  Harper if it was him in blackface. Next, there has never been evidence ,or as far as I know a serious suggestion that Harper ever  lined his pockets. Ever. You don't have to like his politics but you shouldn't make crap up. He took his role seriously. There is a difference between appointing people you know and what Trudeau did in the We scandal. The organization he was going to put in charge of close to a billion dollars of our money is run by 2 brother's who have made themselves rich by their " charity "  It is organised so they cannot be held personally accountable . The minute they were being investigated they shutdown operations in Canada.This is an organization that had handed over close to 300,000 to his family.  The only thing close to this is Chretien and the Ad scam or Mulroney after he left office  and his paper bag of money and they don't match it. Saying " Oh they are all crooked " is BS As is saying" he is better than Trump" Who the hell isn't? It's making excuses for a guy who has no right to stay in office. And  if it's because he is stupid , he should not be the PM. He fired our Attorney General just for investigating a company ( a company known for underhanded dealings) who were in his riding or close to it. That's her job and in Canada the AG is the one position that is not supposed to be interfered with by the sitting government. She is supposed to be independent.As I said I have no understanding of how anyone could vote for him.

Lets keep the debate focussed on facts. The Justice Minister was moved to another cabinet posting (demoted if you wish) and then went public with her displeasure. Her department was not investigating SNC Lavalin at the time- that investigation was over, and the issue was how the corporation would be penalized- either a massive fine with immediate payment required or paid over time. Wilson-Reybold received 8 phone or email contacts over 8 months from the PMO's office about the disposition of the fines but said nothing until she was moved.

8 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Lets keep the debate focussed on facts. The Justice Minister was moved to another cabinet posting (demoted if you wish) and then went public with her displeasure. Her department was not investigating SNC Lavalin at the time- that investigation was over, and the issue was how the corporation would be penalized- either a massive fine with immediate payment required or paid over time. Wilson-Reybold received 8 phone or email contacts over 8 months from the PMO's office about the disposition of the fines but said nothing until she was moved.

And she was not fired- she resigned but prior to that, she did not raise any objections to whatever she felt was inappropriate intervention by the PMO.

Edited by Tracker

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I think O'Toole is actually a far better choice than  Scheer.... the entire problem is that the crazy wing of the party is pushing any moderates out. Otoole pandered to then to win the leadership and then when he tried to be more moderate they got angry at him.  The entire issue with conservatives in this country now is that they are pushing further and further right at a time when that's not popular at all. 

21 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I think O'Toole is actually a far better choice than  Scheer.... the entire problem is that the crazy wing of the party is pushing any moderates out. Otoole pandered to then to win the leadership and then when he tried to be more moderate they got angry at him.  The entire issue with conservatives in this country now is that they are pushing further and further right at a time when that's not popular at all

I think it's really important to note that it should NEVER be popular in any civilized society..... 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I think O'Toole is actually a far better choice than  Scheer.... the entire problem is that the crazy wing of the party is pushing any moderates out. Otoole pandered to then to win the leadership and then when he tried to be more moderate they got angry at him.  The entire issue with conservatives in this country now is that they are pushing further and further right at a time when that's not popular at all. 

No different than the left going bonkers to the extreme left as well. Polarization is happening on both ends of the political spectrum and it's not good either way.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

I think it's really important to note that it should NEVER be popular in any civilized society..... 

Nor should the move to the extreme left be one that is encouraged.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

That crazy wing is the leftovers of the Reform party. They felt their grip on control of the party was slipping and O'Toole pandered to their insecurity and beat out a far superior candidate doing so.

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

I would reverse that. Trudeau is uninspiring, O'Toole (and the entire CPC, really...) is embarrassing. 

Nope Trudeau is also embarrassing. I don't give two figs about who wins the election because this is a hold your nose moment when the ballot is in front of you. There isn't a good choice right now. Trudeau and his broken promises, never ending scandals, and western alienation or O'Toole and his dysfunctional party that is out of touch with the times. Take your pick but make no mistake....BOTH are bad. Anyone suggesting otherwise is drinking one party's kool-aid.

Edited by GCn20

5 hours ago, Tracker said:

And here's the exact words of the Ethics Commissioner: The authority of the prime minister and his office was used to circumvent, undermine and ultimately attempt to discredit the decision of the director of public prosecutions as well as the authority of Ms. Wilson‑Raybould as the Crown’s chief law officer,” he found.

8 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

But is it illegal though? I don't think it is... Recording it from your phone is... but the act itself- you have the green light. Now, what are you going to do?

Pretty darn sure it is. The ballot is technically considered property of our fine government. Eating it would be a felony pretty sure but cannot source

13 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Pretty darn sure it is. The ballot is technically considered property of our fine government. Eating it would be a felony pretty sure but cannot source

Looks like you are right...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/opinion/want-to-protest-the-electoral-process-take-your-ballot-and-eat-it/article727139/

One of the frequently asked questions of Elections Canada is: "Is someone allowed to eat a ballot?"

Surprisingly, this is a valid and important question, according to the organization. On its website it says, "Eating a ballot, not returning it or otherwise destroying or defacing it constitutes a serious breach of the Canada Elections Act."

1 hour ago, the watcher said:

And here's the exact words of the Ethics Commissioner: The authority of the prime minister and his office was used to circumvent, undermine and ultimately attempt to discredit the decision of the director of public prosecutions as well as the authority of Ms. Wilson‑Raybould as the Crown’s chief law officer,” he found.

And while that was poor judgement, it was not illegal.