Canadian Politics

39 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The headache for the Liberals is that every vote that gets bled off goes against their total. Dissatisfied Conservatives will still vote Conservative before they vote Liberal or NDP. Dissatisfied Liberals likely won’t vote Conservative, but they will much more easily vote NDP instead. And any Liberal voter in Quebec has the Bloc as another option, but I don’t think Conservative voters are as quick to vote Bloc instead of sticking with their party. 

My vote is entirely fluid in most elections. In this election there is no way on God's green earth I can or will vote for Trudeau. I also won't vote for any party ( PC ) that actually still denies global warming.  That leaves me Mr. Singh and I have no problem with that. It would suit me fine if the Liberals just squeak through with a tiny minority leaving the NDP  as a very influential power. 

Well we likely end up with a Liberal minority again and another election in a year or two. Trudeau's majority is just blocked right now by the BQ imo.

Just now, do or die said:

The deal will be if they can come up with someone who is actually not a blustering idiot.....

They should have elected Peter Mackay. He could win this thing. Just too much of the old Reform party still playing too big a role in this party. 

30 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Well we likely end up with a Liberal minority again and another election in a year or two. Trudeau's majority is just blocked right now by the BQ imo.

They should have elected Peter Mackay. He could win this thing. Just too much of the old Reform party still playing too big a role in this party. 

Bernier would have been the successor to Scheer if his ego didnt get in the way.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

One interesting thing to follow is here in AB there is a Western Independence Party that is gaining a ton of steam, and a lot of the crazies (most of AB) will at least consider a vote for them, which of course will bleed off the CPC support out here. I think there's real opportunity for left-leaning (or at least not Right-leaning) parties to make some headway, especially in the cities, which tend to be increasingly progressive....

46 minutes ago, Noeller said:

One interesting thing to follow is here in AB there is a Western Independence Party that is gaining a ton of steam, and a lot of the crazies (most of AB) will at least consider a vote for them, which of course will bleed off the CPC support out here. I think there's real opportunity for left-leaning (or at least not Right-leaning) parties to make some headway, especially in the cities, which tend to be increasingly progressive....

Some crazies may vote for them but not enough. It will be a blue clean sweep in Alberta again. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

I think think the conservatives will have big losses with a lot of that support being people holding their noses and voting for Trudeau. Trudeau is a dope but the liberals as a whole have been their usual selves so I don't think Trudeau is so disliked people will vote against him. 

People who voted Conservative last time because they didn't like Trudeau aren't likely to have changed their mind after another scandal ridden two years. Those who turned away from the Liberals last time have not been given any reason to come back. Wishful thinking that Trudeau can recapture his entire fan base. If people vote Liberal it will rely on the strength of their campaign or the weakness of the CPC campaign. People who dislike Trudeau really dislike him.

Definitely won't be a Blue Clean Sweep in AB.... it never is. Edmonton has pockets that have only ever voted NDP, even federally. Calgary, as well, is becoming more progressive. Rural AB will be interesting (again, the Western Independence folks are going to take a bite...) but the cities are more and more "normal".....

On 2021-08-13 at 5:25 PM, Noeller said:

I don't see Trudeau as the "too unpopular to vote for" leader, as Mark suggested earlier. As much as he's hated in parts of Manitoba and all of Sask/AB, he's still popular in most of BC/ON/PQ, or so is my understanding. Those 3 provinces are where they're doing best. Singh has made strides and will get some support from people who don't like JPT and refuse to vote Con, but it won't be enough. 

I'm with Dave, I think the Grits take a majority in a walk. Between national hatred for all things Con and the Grits handling of the pandemic, it'll be a crushing victory for LPC. 

The polling atm suggest otherwise. You are dreaming if you think the Liberals have a crushing victory. The very best outcome they can hope for is a 1 or 2 seat majority. That would be a stellar outcome for them if recent polls are any indicator.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Definitely won't be a Blue Clean Sweep in AB.... it never is. Edmonton has pockets that have only ever voted NDP, even federally. Calgary, as well, is becoming more progressive. Rural AB will be interesting (again, the Western Independence folks are going to take a bite...) but the cities are more and more "normal".....

Not federally. Alberta HATES the Liberals and especially a Lib party led by a Trudeau. That ain't gonna change.

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Bernier would have been the successor to Scheer if his ego didnt get in the way.

When Scheer beat him that all but sealed the deal on his political future in the CPC. He was too far right even for the Reform side of the party.

Edited by GCn20

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

You have high hopes for this WIP but realistically it will amount to a protest vote by a very small % of the population in areas that won't even move the needle.

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

You have high hopes for this WIP but realistically it will amount to a protest vote by a very small % of the population in areas that won't even move the needle.

Agreed. The same movement popped up in the late 70s and early 80s and garnered a few protest votes then disappeared. 

35 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Some crazies may vote for them but not enough. It will be a blue clean sweep in Alberta again. 

People who voted Conservative last time because they didn't like Trudeau aren't likely to have changed their mind after another scandal ridden two years. Those who turned away from the Liberals last time have not been given any reason to come back. Wishful thinking that Trudeau can recapture his entire fan base. If people vote Liberal it will rely on the strength of their campaign or the weakness of the CPC campaign. People who dislike Trudeau really dislike him.

Welcome to my household with 2 voters who voted CPC last time who will vote Liberal this time. The conservative brand has damaged themselves a lot.

Maybe the liberals haven't given reasons to come back... but the conservatives are giving lots of reasons to leave them.

It's getting tough for me to keep track of the elements that have fractured off the CPC. We have Bernier, Sloan, Western Independence Party, any others? I remember hearing one that was only going to run in ridings where the CPC didn't hold a seat or had a chance to. I don't know how all these parties view vote splitting.

The reality is that the people who hate Trudeau THAT fiercely would hate any liberal leader equally as much and never vote for a party that wasn't sitting on the right.

There are way more moderates in this country and the conservatives are so beholden to the right that moderates are rejecting them. 

I really don't see this piece the cons have out canceling the liberals child care plan as a winning strategy either.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

The reality is that the people who hate Trudeau THAT fiercely would hate any liberal leader equally as much and never vote for a party that wasn't sitting on the right.

There are way more moderates in this country and the conservatives are so beholden to the right that moderates are rejecting them. 

I really don't see this piece the cons have out canceling the liberals child care plan as a winning strategy either.

I fiercely hate Trudeau  and have voted Liberal in the past and dont rule out voting Liberal in the future. My son in law despises Trudeau and voted for him when he was 1ST elected PM. I know many others. Your "reality " is plain wrong.  I actually have no understanding how people can ignore the endless  scandals and issues and put an X by his name.

because the scandals are pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. 

Truthfully I just don't see how people can hate Trudeau... He's just an idiot. completely unqualified for the role he is in... but hate worthy? no. The sad fact is that the other parties are doing a damned good job being so completely useless it makes the Liberals with Trudeau as leader the best option. 

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

because the scandals are pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. 

Truthfully I just don't see how people can hate Trudeau... He's just an idiot. completely unqualified for the role he is in... but hate worthy? no. The sad fact is that the other parties are doing a damned good job being so completely useless it makes the Liberals with Trudeau as leader the best option. 

Il give you the"  hate " term. Dispise,  disgust and embarrassed would be better. There's not alot of people I " hate ". I disagree on them being minor. Are you telling me that if multiple  films of Harper wearing blackface came out you wouldn't be outraged. Or if he tried to give family friends/ business associates control of a 900 million government program you would call it minor ? Or taken a free 80,000 dollar holiday from a lobbyist you wouldnt be disgusted? And I could go on.

I don't buy that Trudeau is a racist because of the blackface, he's just an idiot who was playing dress up. He is not a malicious person.

I mean I am sure Harper had plenty of lobbyists lining his and his pockets too. And appointing close people to government programs? Yeah that's the conservative playbook too. All that stuff is routine politics and every single one of them will do it. Again, it speaks more to the poor quality of the opposition. Any competent leadership from the opposition they'd have buried him already but they have so many demons of their own.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I don't buy that Trudeau is a racist because of the blackface, he's just an idiot who was playing dress up. He is not a malicious person.

I mean I am sure Harper had plenty of lobbyists lining his and his pockets too. And appointing close people to government programs? Yeah that's the conservative playbook too. All that stuff is routine politics and every single one of them will do it. Again, it speaks more to the poor quality of the opposition. Any competent leadership from the opposition they'd have buried him already but they have so many demons of their own.

1st of all I never said he was a racist.  I said you would have roasted  Harper if it was him in blackface. Next, there has never been evidence ,or as far as I know a serious suggestion that Harper ever  lined his pockets. Ever. You don't have to like his politics but you shouldn't make crap up. He took his role seriously. There is a difference between appointing people you know and what Trudeau did in the We scandal. The organization he was going to put in charge of close to a billion dollars of our money is run by 2 brother's who have made themselves rich by their " charity "  It is organised so they cannot be held personally accountable . The minute they were being investigated they shutdown operations in Canada.This is an organization that had handed over close to 300,000 to his family.  The only thing close to this is Chretien and the Ad scam or Mulroney after he left office  and his paper bag of money and they don't match it. Saying " Oh they are all crooked " is BS As is saying" he is better than Trump" Who the hell isn't? It's making excuses for a guy who has no right to stay in office. And  if it's because he is stupid , he should not be the PM. He fired our Attorney General just for investigating a company ( a company known for underhanded dealings) who were in his riding or close to it. That's her job and in Canada the AG is the one position that is not supposed to be interfered with by the sitting government. She is supposed to be independent.As I said I have no understanding of how anyone could vote for him.

19 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Welcome to my household with 2 voters who voted CPC last time who will vote Liberal this time. The conservative brand has damaged themselves a lot.

Maybe the liberals haven't given reasons to come back... but the conservatives are giving lots of reasons to leave them.

Sure there will be examples of that all over between all parties, however, the Liberals have not given a reason for more than a very minute amount of people to change their minds about them. They have swayed you and that's your prerogative but recent polling numbers are showing that it will be another minority. Personally I don't see much change in outcomes coming. No party has stepped up and left the fray behind.

19 hours ago, WildPath said:

It's getting tough for me to keep track of the elements that have fractured off the CPC. We have Bernier, Sloan, Western Independence Party, any others? I remember hearing one that was only going to run in ridings where the CPC didn't hold a seat or had a chance to. I don't know how all these parties view vote splitting.

There was some worry about Bernier before the last election then he went full wingnut. I don't think there is much worry now. They will realistically not be a factor in the outcome of this election unless it comes down to a virtual tie and even then they have no realistic shot at winning any seats. None of these parties will get votes in anything other than the staunchest right ridings where the CPC candidate will still win in a landslide.

Edited by GCn20

12 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

If it weren't illegal I would eat my ballot, then throw it up into the voting booth because these candidates make me sick.

But is it illegal though? I don't think it is... Recording it from your phone is... but the act itself- you have the green light. Now, what are you going to do?

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy