2017 WJC

Ducky

Anyone else notice this?  I noticed a lot of empty seats at the Canada-Czech game yesterday in Montreal.  What the hell is up with that?  Can you imagine a Team Canada WJC playoff game in Winnipeg not being sold out?   Ridiculous.  You expect empty seats when this tournament is being played in Europe as you know the people there are homers who won't come out to watch Canada but come on Montreal, that was embarrassing.

Monday's crowd of 10,215 was shockingly disappointing, even to some of the Canadian players.

Keep in mind that the cavernous Bell Centre holds more than twice that many people.

“We were a bit surprised,” Strome said. “We thought it would be pretty much full like it was in Toronto for our games. But it seemed to fill in as the game went on. And they were loud. I mean, this is the best building in the NHL.

It will be interesting to see how many fans show up for the Canada-Sweden semifinal on Wednesday, but we do know this: There are much more worthy markets in this country more appreciative of the junior game than Montreal and Toronto.

Lower the prices; have at least one of the locations in a two-market setup have a smaller rink; and, most importantly, put it in communities that really care about the event.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/01/02/canada-vs-sweden-semifinal-promises-to-be-must-see-hockey

Edited by kelownabomberfan

54 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Anyone else notice this?  I noticed a lot of empty seats at the Canada-Czech game yesterday in Montreal.  What the hell is up with that?  Can you imagine a Team Canada WJC playoff game in Winnipeg not being sold out?   Ridiculous.  You expect empty seats when this tournament is being played in Europe as you know the people there are homers who won't come out to watch Canada but come on Montreal, that was embarrassing.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/01/02/canada-vs-sweden-semifinal-promises-to-be-must-see-hockey

I sure did notice, and embarrassing is exactly what it was.  My friend sent me a text saying, if you can't sell out (or come very close) a game that Canada is involved in, you shouldn't be able to host again.  That's obviously a bit harsh, but I like the idea of a penalty.... Maybe 5-10 year ban from hosting?

6 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

I sure did notice, and embarrassing is exactly what it was.  My friend sent me a text saying, if you can't sell out (or come very close) a game that Canada is involved in, you shouldn't be able to host again.  That's obviously a bit harsh, but I like the idea of a penalty.... Maybe 5-10 year ban from hosting?

or even better, host it in smaller communities like Winnipeg, Brandon, Kamloops, Kelowna, Red Deer, Lethbridge and Saskatoon, where you know it will be a huge sell-out.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

Just now, sweep the leg said:

Prices for this event have gotten out of control and hopefully the embarrassment of all those empty seats will force Hockey Canada to adjust their pricing.

Best case scenario is for ticket prices to drop and for the tourney's to go back to smaller cities.

It is the same issue we've been seeing with the Grey Cup.  Event organisers have gotten greedy and prices to these things have sky-rocketed.  

I saw an article I think on the 2015 World Juniors (also in Montreal and Toronto) where the comment was if these prices were charged for the tournament in Europe, the arenas would be completely empty.  So they reduced the prices for 2017, but obviously not for a saturated market who had the event 2 years earlier.  

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

Is or can the tourney be bought by the people that want it?

For example, Brandon, Winnipeg, Regina, etc... get together and say they will buy the event for x amount of dollars... similar what they did/do for the Grey Cup?

Just wondering.

The current model goes through Hockey Canada.  They probably have a bidding process on how cities approach them, but Hockey Canada decides who and when they take a bid forward. 

I'm guessing the reason for this is the IIHF probably only allows one bid per country. 

1 hour ago, Rich said:

The current model goes through Hockey Canada.  They probably have a bidding process on how cities approach them, but Hockey Canada decides who and when they take a bid forward. 

I'm guessing the reason for this is the IIHF probably only allows one bid per country. 

multiple bids....which is how Winnipeg/Stoon lost the '19s to Vancouver.....

I thought that I heard that the WJC only make money when they are held in Canada.  Though they probably did pretty well in North Dakota a few years ago.  As long as they are held in places close to the Canadian border if in the US then that should still guarantee decent crowds - for example next year's in Buffalo should do well with all of the Canadians coming in and buying tickets.