RethinkIng Paul Maurice....

bb1

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I'll say this and leave Maurice be. If he's back next season I hope huddy and Flaherty aren't. We need a couple new coaches for sure 

Agreed, they have been here long enough and Huddys d hasn't progressed like i would of hope, they did bring in a 3rd assistant name escapes me don't want to look it up  guess he is the eyes in the sky. Flaherty i've never liked.

Trouba is a future #1 D... one of his reasons for holding out was lack of power play time.  So... when he comes back, we play Enstrom and Buff on every single power play.  If I was him, I'd leave as soon as I could.

I'd be surprised if Maurice doesn't put Myers back with Enstrom when he's healthy...

Aside from destroying Helle's confidence, this is the biggest mistake the franchise is making right now.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Stickem said:

Anyone else up coming in the organization...A fence post with hair would be better and get more results..Might as well get an early start for next year and some familiarity.

Huddy?  Can't see that working.

You're not going to bring Vincent up from the Moose...

There is no one in the organization.

Better to wait until the summer, when quality coaches become available.

Thought the Jets showed a lot of heart and guts the last two games vs a couple REALLY good opponents. Not sure how much is on Maurice, and how much is on the team playing with confidence in front of Pavelec, but this looks like a much better team than the one that was on a skid a couple weeks ago. The two recent losses aren't a reason to be angry...they're proof that the Jets aren't that far off.

A bit off topic but a PoMo story none-the-less...

I was living in Southern Ontario during PoMo's days with the Leafs. On this particular day, I found myself driving around the GTA, and low and behold, PoMo gets fired from the Leafs. Of course, The FAN590 is full of coverage of the firing and the ongoing speculation about the new coach, etc.

The radio host on The Fan manages to get PoMo on the phone to do an interview. It's very, very soon after the announcement. Of course, PoMo is very gracious and thankful for the opportunity to coach the Leafs and disappointed how everything turned out. Everything you would expect him to say, since he's a class act.

Anyhow, he's in his car, so it's a quick interview. He's racing to kids school because he knows that the news is going to get to them fast and he wants to tell them first. He doesn't want his children to hear about it on the schoolyard or in passing.

I think that's telling just what a great character he is.  And, to me, that tells me a lot about what type of dad he is too.

I know his character has never been in question but no matter which way this goes, he's a great person.

24 minutes ago, JCon said:

A bit off topic but a PoMo story none-the-less...

I was living in Southern Ontario during PoMo's days with the Leafs. On this particular day, I found myself driving around the GTA, and low and behold, PoMo gets fired from the Leafs. Of course, The FAN590 is full of coverage of the firing and the ongoing speculation about the new coach, etc.

The radio host on The Fan manages to get PoMo on the phone to do an interview. It's very, very soon after the announcement. Of course, PoMo is very gracious and thankful for the opportunity to coach the Leafs and disappointed how everything turned out. Everything you would expect him to say, since he's a class act.

Anyhow, he's in his car, so it's a quick interview. He's racing to kids school because he knows that the news is going to get to them fast and he wants to tell them first. He doesn't want his children to hear about it on the schoolyard or in passing.

I think that's telling just what a great character he is.  And, to me, that tells me a lot about what type of dad he is too.

I know his character has never been in question but no matter which way this goes, he's a great person.

Great story.  I like Maurice a lot.  By all accounts (and Lawless has said this repeatedly), Maurice and his family love Winnipeg.

Does anyone know exactly what are the duties and responsibilities of the coaches?

Someone answered me about goalie coaches but he was only 10% right as I have learned that they are MAINLY there as a consultant and to help the goalie mentally. They do work with them on the ice but not near as much as what I had thought.

So, I will ask again...does anyone know exactly what are the duties and responsibilities of the coaches?

I've mentioned before I don't know how coaches are utilized at the NHL level.

Does Kompon run the powerplay?

Does Huddy run the PK?

Does Maurice say this is how I want the PK and PP to look?

I think Huddy controls the D on the bench during games but I am sure Maurice tells him what matchups he wants beforehand.

Anyone?

4 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Does anyone know exactly what are the duties and responsibilities of the coaches?

Someone answered me about goalie coaches but he was only 10% right as I have learned that they are MAINLY there as a consultant and to help the goalie mentally. They do work with them on the ice but not near as much as what I had thought.

So, I will ask again...does anyone know exactly what are the duties and responsibilities of the coaches?

I've mentioned before I don't know how coaches are utilized at the NHL level.

Does Kompon run the powerplay?

Does Huddy run the PK?

Does Maurice say this is how I want the PK and PP to look?

I think Huddy controls the D on the bench during games but I am sure Maurice tells him what matchups he wants beforehand.

Anyone?

Your google quit working or what?

Pearn then Vincent then Kompon focused strictly on the power play as assistant coaches

Then it was Pearn and Huddy focusing on the Penalty Kill so its probably just Huddy now.

Head coach usually installs the overall system, sets the tone, motivates the players and makes roster/line decisions.

Looks like all assistant coaches are locked in for another season after this one... 

Well, using the old eye test, I think it's pretty obvious that the Assistants just do what the coach tells them to do.

I mean, you look at our PP and PK this year as an example, looks eerily similar to last year and the year before in terms of the system we use, Well, Vincent isn't around to scape goat anymore so it's pretty obvious to me that Kompon might be in charge but... he's running Maurices systems. 

Huddy definitely runs the D tho, I've been to games and sat close enough to the bench at times to definitely see Huddy working with the D through out the game, basically sending Buff out every minute or so, It's pretty obvious he's in charge of how many minutes a guy plays every game, I'm not sure what else he would do as again, i think it's fairly obvious that he's also running Maurices systems. 

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I mean, you look at our PP and PK this year as an example, looks eerily similar to last year and the year before in terms of the system we use, Well, Vincent isn't around to scape goat anymore so it's pretty obvious to me that Kompon might be in charge but... he's running Maurices systems. 

Remember when Vincent was brought in because Perry Pearn was made scapegoat for our league worst power play back in the Noel era...

I have no inside knowledge of how the Jets work or any NHL team works but I would think the coaches would game plan  those things together, bring up arguments / discussions for trying certain things but at the end of the day, Maurice would have final say. 

I say this in general of how most organizations and teams I've seen run. 

In some areas Maurice may always defer to the one of the other coaches in certain areas because of expertise, but the buck still stops with him  

Im not sure how you really expect anyone here to tell you what really goes on and how unless they are present for practices and daily meetings. 

7 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Remember when Vincent was brought in because Perry Pearn was made scapegoat for our league worst power play back in the Noel era...

Wasn't Vincent hired at the same time Noel was, Noel and Pearn got canned at the same time, Vincent was with the team at the time and stuck around with Maurice.